Michelin Pilot Road 2

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

03silverbullet

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
pilotroad2.jpg

pilotroad2a.jpg

does anyone know when these will be available in the US?

PDQ. My dealer's to call me when the distributor gets them. I'll run these after the Avon Storms, though the Storms are gonna be hard to beat, IMO.

This is the first I have seen, so no additional information. One thing of interest though, is that Avon seems to be ommitted from the test comparison. I wonder what the story is about that.

Who was the independent study done by...& who paid for it?....& like scab said why were the Avon's omitted form this test :huh: ?....

This looks like the tire I've been waiting for -- especially for my Blackbird! :clapping: :clapping:

I have another set of Pilot Roads to spoon onto the FJR when this set is done, but the XX needs a rear tire now. I do have a Pilot Power rear with about 1000 - 1500 left in it to put on if these don't hit the market soon -- I'll wait, since this is definitely what I've been praying Michelin would offer one day.

I'll probably end up running these on the rear of both bikes and running Pilot Powers up front for the additional traction points in braking on the straight. That set up should also facilitate swapping front and rear out at the same time (I'm assuming a rear PR2 and front PP will both be close enough to done at the same time to satisfy my frugal nature).

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Last edited by a moderator:
I called Michelin and they said that they are waiting for DOT approval and it will be towards the end of the year before they are available.
I wish it were sooner.

????? Really? Well, I'll tell you what - they certainly have created a buzz. It's been on their web site for a couple of months and dealers (well, at least mine) have been asking about it with their distribs. Must be Euro only and hence the cornfusion? :dntknw:

I called Michelin and they said that they are waiting for DOT approval and it will be towards the end of the year before they are available.
I wish it were sooner.
Damn!!! Me too.

Looks like I'll have to burn up one more Pilot Power on the back of the XX before I can switch to what sounds to me like the best of all tire combinations. I'm thinking that in '08, both bikes will be running a Pilot Power on the front and a Pilot Road2 on the rear.

I wish it were sooner.
Damn!!! Me too.

Looks like I'll have to burn up one more Pilot Power on the back of the XX before I can switch to what sounds to me like the best of all tire combinations. I'm thinking that in '08, both bikes will be running a Pilot Power on the front and a Pilot Road2 on the rear.

Ahhhh, there's the cornfusion: Power 2 v. Road 2. I'm gonna ring the dealer anyway, just for jollies and for nothing else more than to bust his stones!

I wish it were sooner.
Damn!!! Me too.

Ahhhh, there's the cornfusion: Power 2 v. Road 2. I'm gonna ring the dealer anyway, just for jollies and for nothing else more than to bust his stones!
Well, TWN -- the "Pilot Power 2CT" was the buzz early last summer, first available only in Europe, but it was available here by late summer. But it was more a race oriented street tire, with a Pilot Power like compound in the center and a softer compound on the shoulders.

This thread was the first I heard of the tire I was hoping they'd develop -- something maybe more like a Pilot Power on the shoulders and a Pilot Road in the center. As for me, though, given the relative durability of the front tire to rear, I'd rather have the single compound Power up front to wear out around the same time as the rear's dual compound -- thinking that the center being softer on the front would only shorten straight line stopping distance vis the harder center of the dual compound.

Well fudge. Obviously, me and my parts dude ain't communicating well. <_< I posted back in December(?) about it after seeing it on the the Bib site. I tried a search, but +Pilot +Road +2 gets bumped by the '2'.

From one site, here's the description of the compounds to be used:

New Michelin Pilot Road 2

Home » Products » Tyres » New Michelin Pilot Road 2

February 1, 2007 - Mersault

In fact, according to info we've seen, the Pilot Road 2 will comprise three different compounds, two softer compounds on the front in a 20-60-20 arrangement from one shoulder (20%), a slightly harder centre section (60%) and back to the softer compound (20%) on the other shoulder. On the rear, the split is 40-20-40, with the hardest, best-wearing compound in the middle, while the two side/shoulders of the tyre are made of the same compound as the middle compound from the front tyre. If it sounds a bit confusing it's because I've explained it badly without the aid of a diagram. All will become clear soon enough. In the meantime, if you're contemplating some sporty road rubber for the Spring, maybe you should ask about these.

Another site says that these tires will be available in September 2007 in the U.S., but the Europeans get to mess with them this Spring, or now -- order them here:

https://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/products/Pro...BT1206017PROAD2

After reading the description of the compounding, maybe I'm looking for a full set of these and not just a one compound Pilot Power on the front. This will be interesting.

Ok, I don't get it. Why such the big buzz over a tire nobody has even tried yet? So far all I see is slick marketing. Even the Fitch Fuel Catalyst had slick marketing.

Personally, I don't like the dual compound tires. My front tire always wears funny with the dual compounds. There is always an inch and a half or so wide raised area in the middle of the tire. Here, I found a pic of my original Metzler:

funkywear.jpg

Don't get me wrong - It's always great to see tire manufacterers trying to raise the bar. That's a win situation for us generally. And I look forward to hearing real world experience with this new Michelin tire. But to proclaim it "THE" tire to have when nobody has even tried it yet?

I don't get it.

Ok, I don't get it. Why such the big buzz over a tire nobody has even tried yet?

Don't get me wrong - It's always great to see tire manufacterers trying to raise the bar. That's a win situation for us generally. And I look forward to hearing real world experience with this new Michelin tire. But to proclaim it "THE" tire to have when nobody has even tried it yet?

I don't get it.
Don't know about others, but I'm sure not proclaiming it to be "THE" tire until I've ridden on it, but if it works, it may be.

For me, the Pilot Power is the best tire I've had on any bike, except that the middle of the rear tire doesn't last past about 4,500 miles on my XX. I like the Pilot Roads on the FJR, but prefer the extra grip of the Powers when leaned over (on the XX and yeah, yeah, -- different bikes, different suspensions, etc. etc.). So, to me, the perfect tire on the XX would be Pilot Powers that are more durable in the center of the rear tire. IF that's what these actually do, then maybe they are THE SHIT. If the sidewalls are stout enough for the additional weight of the FJR (one site lists the FJR as one of the target bikes for this new tire), then maybe they are also THE SHIT for the FJR, too.

Assuming it's at all representative of all manufacturers' dual compound tires, I'm not encouraged by that Metzeler wear your pic showed. Still, I'm hoping Michelin gets this dual compound thing as right as they have gotten the Pilot Road and Pilot Power tires (to my tastes in MC tires). Nothing more than that.

Besides, why do you care about weird wear patterns? Like this makes a difference in Playa dirt or rider trajectory after an ejection? :p

I dunno skoot, there was a pretty big buzz on the Storm before it was available...

Ex, my parts dude is now reporting that, 'no one knows nuttin'. Looks like I'll be on Storms for the foreseeable future - which ain't a bad thing.

Ex, my parts dude is now reporting that, 'no one knows nuttin'. Looks like I'll be on Storms for the foreseeable future - which ain't a bad thing.
:( :(

On the FJR, I only have about 2000 miles on my rear Pilot Road, maybe 5000 on the front PR, with a brand new pair of PRs waiting to be spooned on when those are done. It's the XX that needs rear rubber real soon, . . . well, NOW . . . unless I slip on a used Power that has MAYBE 1500 left in it. So, I guess I'm buying at least one more set of Powers for it before we get to try these new tires.

Life's worst problems should be so bad, huh??

My Avon AV45 has worn much like this also (6K miles). It looks a bit squidly if ask me. <_< Kind of like I never ride straight up or use the brakes.

It also feels like the bike wants to fall into slower turns. Can't say that I like triangular tires, but I'll probably replace this set with the new Storm-STs.

Baa ah ah ah..... (my best attempt at sheep sounds)

Personally, I don't like the dual compound tires. My front tire always wears funny with the dual compounds.
funkywear.jpg