Waiting Patiently . . . .

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gryphon68

Reaction score
So I ordered my '05 ABS the last day of PDP in March. The dealer swore up-down-and-sideways that the bike would be hear in June, to the point the they would refund my deposit if it didn't show. Don't get me wrong, still think an FJR is the right bike for me, but living here in Michigan, late August or September is not the optimal time to take delivery on a new bike.

When some bikes seemed to start flowing out mid-May I dropped my sales guy a quick e-mail, to which he replied that mine should be there shortly, but they won't have a VIN number until the the bike shows up on the truck. I guess I kind of have a had time believing they have no more information than this . . . in your experiences what does the dealer really know if they only take a moment to look in the right place.

For example being in the automotive biz myself, if you pre-order a car or truck the dealer can tell you when its scheduled at the plant, when a VIN number is assigned (pre-build) when it rolls off the line, ships, etc . . . . .

BTW, getting 20% off accesories at time of purchase, brings the Givi stuff pretty much in line with best offered prices. The Givi Top Case is high on the list, what other stuff might I want to consider at time of purchase. Windscreens seem to be difficult to purchase at any significant discount from direct retail, so that might be an option too.

I'm 6'1" w/32" inseam and a "bigger" guy, CeeBailey +4h+3w, or Rifle Touring for longer distance?

I ordered in February of last year and got mine in September of last year... I feel your pain!

Believe me, my dealer(s) didn't know a d@mn thing about the bike... before, during or after the sale! I talked to 2 sales reps that pointed me to the lead sales rep 'cause he was the only one dealing with that "pre-release thingy Yamaha is doing."

Evan, who turned out to be a nice guy, knew of the FJR. He'd sold a few in the last couple years, but could not tell me anything about delivery. Even when corporate Yamaha knew where my bike was, Evan did not.

===================================================

Yamaha US Corporate Offices in Cypress, Ca (800) 962-7926 or (714)761-7300

===================================================

He called me two days after it arrived as they were finally putting the front wheel on the bike.

Pissed? Darn right I was. I was promised a June delivery too!

All that aside. I'm happy as heck with my purchase. I love the bike. My wife (frequent pillion) loves the bike. All my friends love the bike. I've caused two sales already just from bragging about this bike!

After all is said and done... it is well worth the wait.

Where in Michigan are you? I'm just SW of Grand Rapids.

Hang in there!

Bo

Got a CB +4+4, wouldn't be without it. Made all the difference in the world. And quit yer whinin'. I waited 40 years for mine.... :p

Talked to the dealer, evidently I'm next ABS on the list, Yamaha is still showing "June" delivery.

MIFJR - I'm in SE Michigan, western Detroit suburbs. That photo in my avatar is actually Grattan Raceway, ever done a track day there?

RadMan - was thinking +4+3 vs +4+4 because I thought I had read somewhere that on a +4 wide you started coming very close to having clearance issues (at full lock?). Figure the possible hassle wouldn't be worth the extra half inch per side. Any clearance issues on your bike?

Thanks,

Not to brag or anything but mine was supossed to be a June Delivery but it came in a month early, May 15th delivery. My dealer didn't know it was coming in...he was a surprised as I was that it was there....It just goes to show why no one really trusts dealers....

Hang in there, it is most definitly without a doubt worth the wait.

Tim

None. I do use a home-made tuning block however, wouldn't work as well without it I suspect. Can't imagine what clearance issues there would be anyway-the bars come nowhere near the shield regardless, if indeed that is what you meant.

Last edited by a moderator:
Never done a track day at Grattan... know plenty who have though.

I came from a cruiser and still share that mentality. I don't race to red lights and I like to just go for a putt now and then. I had a little SV 650/S that would have made a great track bike but I sold it to buy my wife's first ride, an '84 Nighthawk.

We sold that thing Spring to help finance her '85 Shadow 700. I've still got my 2001 Honda Sabre and love it.

We use the FJR for touring together and for just me. I use the Shadow for commuting to work and the occasional group ride with my cruiser buds.

I'll have to send you a note next time we plan to cross the state. We've got family in the Milford/Highland area... and my wife's sister is in Belleville while attending Wayne State.

I guess I was lucky. I was deployed while I was waiting and mine came in about a month before I came back. It was a nice coming home present!

Please let us know when you get the bike. I am also waiting for a promised June delivery. My dealer said it is still on their list for June but the dealership had not been billed for it yet so he didn't have a VIN.

I placed my order in mid-May so it was well past the normal PDP period. I read on one of the FJR web sites that Yamaha had made an additional 1500 FJRs after the PDP period so I called the local dealer and he said he could get me one. I'm getting impatient......

Greg

Nothing's changed in the PdP since it started in 2002. You put your money down and wait. The dealer doesn't get notified until the bike leaves the distibution warehouse stateside. That means they don't know anything usually until about 2 weeks out. No VINs are part of the notification.

Patience, Grasshopper. Most of us have BTDT...and have little pity on yor situation.

Just when you think you aren't going to survive the wait, you get the "The Call". Once you get your FJR and take the first ride, all is forgotten and forgiven. It's worth the wait.

Isn't it interesting...most of you guys are still waiting delivery while my local dealership has plenty of new '05 FJRs just sitting on the showroom floor. Go figure. :huh: As a matter of fact, that's how I purchased mine with no PDP, no waiting, last October.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gryphon68,

I'm also in SE Mi., 5 days a week anyway. Drop me a line if you want to get together for a ride sometime or just to check out an 05 FJR ABS ahead of your delivery.

I've got a Rifle Sport Touring shield w/tuning block, its a little wider, little taller than stock. Puts me in clean air when all the way down where I prefer it but I'm a bit shorter than you at 5'10. Still get the 'push' from behind when raised but the wife likes it, gets buffeted a lot less when riding pillion. I can still see over the screen in that position but just barely. We both have the 'Rumble Strips' on our helmets which seems to have helped a bit.

I'll be looking for you out there, good luck on your delivery !

These FJR's seem to come in waves. We had that big push in May then nothing for awhile. My guess is that the June push is all but here probably just a week before you hear as then June will almost be over. Good luck and let us know when it gets in. :blink:

:D Got a call from my dealer last night, my bike finally got delivered to their warehouse. :D

:( Of course, it goes without saying, I'm out of town on business, and won't be able to pick it up until the weekend. :(