Steering Head Bearing Tool

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bogus

Reaction score
Since Bike Johnny has gone out of business, and I hadn't ordered the steering head spanner wrench from them, I was looking for anither source for it. Tried the dealer...gave him the part # from the service manual, but had no luck finding it. Apparently the bike makers send specialty tools to dealers as the new models warrent. Anyway, I found a new source for the spanner wrench. I'm sure some of the "old" sages on the forum know about this site, but thought this would be a good time to put this back out there since a lot of us are getting ready to ride again this spring.

Wild Hare Accessories is the site. Scroll down to "tools" and you will see it as well as the axel tool. I ordered mine a couple of days ago,(you have to phone them) and they said that that tool was not in stock, and would take about 4 weeks to get. $20 + $5 shipping.

I had my 08 in for the ignition switch recall, and asked the dealer since they were almost to the steering head bearings during the recall, if they could check the bearings for less than the full shop rate for the job. I had noticed some free play in the steering head just before I took it back for the recall. It still cost me $40 to have them re-torqued when all they had to do extra was pull the lock nut and re-torque the bearing nut!! The tool will pay for itself many times over the next time I use it.

I got mine through K&L

the Yamaha and K&L part numbers are shown on the spanner. Yamaha sources theirs through K&L

shb01.jpg

Your $40 mistake was asking what they would charge to check the torque on the spanner nuts. I told my dealer that while they had access to this area, they should check for proper torque on the spanner nuts...since there have been some known issues with incorrect torques in the past resulting in a non-properly-seated bearing... He agreed and they did. No charge. Out in 1/5 hours. Zoom Zoom Zoom.

I tried to find that wrench from K&L, but couldn't find anyting on the web. Got a link?

I tried to find that wrench from K&L, but couldn't find anyting on the web. Got a link?
Clicky

Here is their web site, bad as it is... Never found the tool mentioned and the search engine crashed multiple times trying to search. Maybe just download the catalog.

Tried that website a while ago. Even downloaded the catalog, and scoured it to no avail.

Olson, yeah that's a spanner wrench, but unless you have an educated wrist (I know some of you guys do) but you won't be able to torque to specification.

Olson, yeah that's a spanner wrench, but unless you have an educated wrist (I know some of you guys do) but you won't be able to torque to specification.
I don't claim to have a calibrated wrist but what is important is how tight or loose the steering head is when you pull on the bar end. I have a fishing scale for that, left over from adjusting the tapered roller steering head bearings on my GL1200. YMMV.

We have an engineer friend in the CentralNC group, who makes one helluva fine wrench. His is tubing that is milled to form teeth, welded to a 3/8" extension. The whole thing fits vertically over the steering head spanner nuts. Think "spanner nut socket".

I'm willing to bet that he would make a few at a very reasonable price.

PM me if you are interested and I will discuss it with him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Think "spanner nut socket".
That sounds like something odot would be into.

Picture this: a square hole in the middle, reversible and one side fits the hex nut and the other side fits the steering nut...

A socket extension would fit the center hole and one socket would do two jobs.

I wonder how deep the steering nut side would have to be...

Oh well, I'll probably never get around to it... another month and the last thing I'll be doing with my free time is machining stuff

On the other hand... if this sounds like a useful tool AND you live less than a half days ride from me AND you would be willing to exchange food and beer for such a tool, I might be persuaded.

I picked up a steering head wrench made by Honda, it'a adjustable for all sizes, that's what the shops use, it cost $100.00 ouch!!

this may not be the place to start this thread but what do you think about starting a tool loan program, if anyone has a special tool to do maintance the fourm menber can borrow it they pay shipping to the next guy that needs it this will save us all from having to buy a tool we only use once or twice, the owner of tool will keep track of location, I found this on the Honda ST group and it saved me a few times, maybe we can start a new sub section on the fourm for this.

We have an engineer friend in the CentralNC group, who makes one helluva fine wrench. His is tubing that is milled to form teeth, welded to a 3/8" extension. The whole thing fits vertically over the steering head spanner nuts. Think "spanner nut socket".
I'm willing to bet that he would make a few at a very reasonable price.

PM me if you are interested and I will discuss it with him.
I made mine on the cheap. It works great, but will not be mistaken for CNC machined. All you need is a welder, a nut, a washer. A few minutes with a sawzall and a bench grinder gets you this:

IMG_0179.jpg

IMG_0180.jpg

IMG_0181.jpg

Hey profireguy.....give us some dimensions. What size pipe--how large are the tabs--will they handle the torque without distorting etc, etc.!!

Profire, nice job; love to see the do it yourself solutions, especially when the store bought versions seems so very overpriced.