Battery draining...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SigepKat

Reaction score
I've got an 05 that's having some battery issues. For the last few weeks it's been acting like the battery is low or dead. Had the battery checked, it's good, just needing a charge. Left it on the charger overnight, it's still wouldn't start the bike. The only goodies I've added are a usb charger and electric gloves (neither of which were left "on".) Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be the issue? Is there anything stock on the bike that could be draining it? My only other thought is my charger has died, but it appears to still be working...

Thanks

Chris

I've got an 05 that's having some battery issues. For the last few weeks it's been acting like the battery is low or dead. Had the battery checked, it's good, just needing a charge. Left it on the charger overnight, it's still wouldn't start the bike. The only goodies I've added are a usb charger and electric gloves (neither of which were left "on".) Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be the issue? Is there anything stock on the bike that could be draining it? My only other thought is my charger has died, but it appears to still be working...

Thanks

Chris

Get a new battery.
This is very, very hard to say, but I agree with odot.

Did I really say that???
uhoh.gif

....and don't forget to change your pumpkin oil at the same time.

Chris,

You say that you left it on the charger overnight but it still wouldn't start the bike. Do you know what the voltage on the battery was after charging? It is possible that your charger is no good and you just aren't getting enough into the old battery. What kind of a charger are you using? Does it have an indication when it thinks the battery is fully charged? If you have access to a voltmeter you can measure the battery voltage after charging. A fully charged battery in perfect health should measure 12.8V. Anything less indicates some level of discharge of the battery.

Here's a link to a pdf version of the Yuasa Tech Manual with all sorts of great info on lead acid batteries

How old is the battery? Has it ever been run down beyond the point of starting the engine? Do you know if you have an aftermarket stator?

What is the charging voltage right on the battery terminals? Not on the battery cables but the battery terminals?

When you go to start your bike after standing over night, what is the battery voltage before you push the starter button?

Redneck troubleshooting: If you suspect a stray current draw remove the + battery terminal and connect one terminal of a plain old running light bulb to the loose + battery wire and the other terminal of the running light to the + battery post. If there is no significant current draw the light will stay dark, if there is a trickle current draw the bulb will illuminate and the brightness will be proportional to the unwanted current draw. The darker the room during the test the better.

It's probably the battery, but it would be an expensive guess.

Edit: I see Fred posted an overlapping reply while I was typing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dammit!

Really? Even though it shows to still be good?
Garage testing of batteries is notoriously unreliable.

Use a voltmeter to do some simple test, check battery voltage ignition off (expect 12.8V or something like that). Then go for a start.

If the battery voltage goes below 9 then either the battery is bad or the starter motor is bad. The battery is a lot easier to change than the starter motor.

If the voltage drops a little but the engine doesn't turn over, then the battery is good, you have a different problem, such as bad connection, bad solenoid, bad starter motor.

Just noticed Ionbeam and Fred W have replied [nice new forum feature], treat their views with respect.

Do a google search, something like "bad battery site:fjrforum.com".

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe it's time for volt meter on the bike?? They're cheap and easy to install. I bought one online for about 20 bucks. It's not the much respected DATEL meter that so many on the forum have installed, but it works like a dream. It was a piece of cake to install, and provides me instant knowledge of the voltage at any time. It won't cure your problem, but it's a good idea to have one.

CIMG1128_zpsd8bcee85.jpg

Gary

darksider #44

Just checked the voltage on it, it's showing about 12v. Put the charger in "jump" mode and it's still doing the same dead battery symptoms (slow cranking, not starting, clearing trip odo and clock, etc.)...still sound like a battery issue or could it be something else?

Just checked the voltage on it, it's showing about 12v. Put the charger in "jump" mode and it's still doing the same dead battery symptoms (slow cranking, not starting, clearing trip odo and clock, etc.)...still sound like a battery issue or could it be something else?
12volts is a dead battery. You want at least 12.6 for a charged battery.

Indeed, the difference between 12.0 and 12.8 is the difference between fully charged and virtually completely discharged battery. The voltage difference seems small but to the charged capacity of a battery it is the difference between life and death. Digital volt meter readings please
smile.png

Turns out the issue was the charger, it was what was dead. Got a new one, battery is showing 13.3v after sitting on it overnight. But it's still not starting, it'll crank and almost fire, but can't quite catch. Thought perhaps the fuel had gone bad (it's been sitting for a week and a half), but fresh fuel hasn't seem to made a difference. Thoughts?

OK, since you made several previous unsuccessful attempts when the battery was under charged, the engine is most likely flooded now. The trick to starting now is to hold the throttle wide open while you crank it now. That will help clear out some of the raw fuel and it should catch. When it does, it will run rough for a while until all of the excess fuel is burnt off.

Good Luck!

PS - this scenario is detailed here: Clicky