Bleeding linked/ABS brakes after a caliper rebuild?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TownsendsFJR1300

Reaction score
I'm very familar with rebuilding (new seals) on my Gen I FJR which of course aren't linked and mine was NOT an ABS model. Bleeding the brakes after the master cylinder emptied (while rebuilding the calipers) was basic bleeding techniques.

Question, with the newer LINKED and ABS models (Gen ll & lll) which will require front brake bleeding and rear brake bleeding after a re-build, how big a PIA is it once the lines drain out of brake fluid?

Has anyone tried clamping off the rubber brake lines (perhaps with a hemostat) to prevent the entire system from emptying? If so, will it damge the stock rubber lines?

Any good tips, shortcuts?

I did do a search but didin't find anything relating to a full rebuild with a completely empty system, not just flushing and bleeding old fluid...

Thanks ahead of time...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll be anxious to read some of the responses as I plan on tackling that project within the week.

But from what I understand, as long as you keep the lid on the reservoir, and maybe rebuild one caliper at a time, the fluids shouldn't drain. At least that's how I was going to approach it.

Mike

I'll be anxious to read some of the responses as I plan on tackling that project within the week.
But from what I understand, as long as you keep the lid on the reservoir, and maybe rebuild one caliper at a time, the fluids shouldn't drain. At least that's how I was going to approach it.

Mike
Mike, when I rebuilt the calipers in both my 04 FJR and 07 FZ6 (same caliper), the fluid will leak down as the MC top is vented. Both bikes are non ABS and NOT linked..

I'd tried plugging with an aluminum block (same threads, no other openings) I machined with the stock bolt/washers to stop the fluid, but you loose alot just swapping the line quickly from the caliper to the block..

I'm looking at a new 2013 this am and really would like to know the answer... Should you do yours before an answer is posted, can you please post how it goes, any secrets, etc?

Thanks ahead of time... Scott

Well I just got back from the dealership. I spoke with the service manager re the brakes, bleeding from scratch(after a re-build), specifically for the 2013 model, etc.

I was told there's a specific procedure that includes activating solenoids besides standard bleeding ("its a PIA"). Someone with a shop manual may be able to confirm this as true or not...

Well I just got back from the dealership. I spoke with the service manager re the brakes, bleeding from scratch(after a re-build), specifically for the 2013 model, etc.
I was told there's a specific procedure that includes activating solenoids besides standard bleeding ("its a PIA"). Someone with a shop manual may be able to confirm this as true or not...
Oh, I see. You don't have a service manual. Don't you know that Knowledge is Power!?

:rofl:

Oh, I see. You don't have a service manual. Don't you know that Knowledge is Power!?

rofl.gif
Ha Ha, your funny! Guess you don't know either....

Had a Yamaha shop manual for my old 04, it went with the bike when I sold it so I can't refer back to it.

I'm not dropping $80.00 on a manual for a bike I don't own...

IMO, not a very bright investment, thanks for the help/input.
coolsmiley02.gif

rofl.gif
Ha Ha, your funny! Guess you don't know either....

Had a Yamaha shop manual for my old 04, it went with the bike when I sold it so I can't refer back to it.

I'm not dropping $80.00 on a manual for a bike I don't own...

IMO, not a very bright investment, thanks for the help/input.
coolsmiley02.gif

I got some help/input for ya.............

Why are your panties in such a bunch over a procedure for a bike you don't even own????

As post #3 states, I was looking at possibly buying an '13. I don't care for the color so its a moot point anyway...

Your turn for a smart, useless response. (Unfortunatly, likely not the answer I or someone else ((TripperMike)) may like to know for future service work). BTW, boxers, not panties ...

Unsubscribed from this thread...
no.gif

Wow, it just can't be friday.....I'm in salt lake city with a crappy connection at a motel six.....please.....don't be friday....

No Odot, it's not Friday. But it outta be. I'm gonna post up a music video. I chose one with the lyrics, because some around here need to hear the words, read the words, and some how get over their whiny gash pussified bullshit and comprehend the words.

WTF boys...Seriously.