Front Page Article Today: San Francisco Chronicle (Way to Go!)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Burleigh

Reaction score
"Splitting the difference: It's legal for motorcycles to zip between cars, but now the CHP has set up sensible rules."

I love getting the word out to the public that this is legal behavior. As part of getting the word out, I recently posted in FB: "Just a reminder, in California it is legal for motorcycles to split lanes between cars. It's not that California is an anomaly. It's that the other 49 states are. Every country in the world except the USA allows motorcycles to share lanes with cars (safely, responsibly)."

Very good points in that article as to the safety of the motorcycle rider when lane splitting in traffic. More states should adopt the policy.

"Splitting the difference: It's legal for motorcycles to zip between cars, but now the CHP has set up sensible rules."

I love getting the word out to the public that this is legal behavior. As part of getting the word out, I recently posted in FB: "Just a reminder, in California it is legal for motorcycles to split lanes between cars. It's not that California is an anomaly. It's that the other 49 states are. Every country in the world except the USA allows motorcycles to share lanes with cars (safely, responsibly)."
Ever heard of Canada? It's a no no, all the way across the country.

Perhaps now that California has set down some guidelines on paper, it'll be easier for other states to adopt it. One can only hope. Az and Tx have led the charge, we just gotta push it through. The more states that adopt it, the more likely the rest will follow.

Last edited by a moderator:
As someone unexperienced, the mere thought of lane splitting makes my hands sweat. But IIRC, the data I read in a MCN article last year suggest that there's no more danger for the motorcyclists lane splitting, and if done properly, it could actually be safer.

Facinating.

Maybe now that the CHP has finally given guidelines, other states might start adopting the rules. There should be plenty of data out there now about the increased safety to the motorcyclists.

I would also like to point out that MC's splitting lanes helps traffic to not bunch up in the first place. Allowing riders to lane-split gives MC riders an advantage to riding. This means more people will ride further decreasing traffic jams. I heard a statistic... a 10% reduction in traffic reduces traffic congestion by 40%. This is the best reason for States to adopt lane splitting... reduction in traffic congestion.

The reduction in fuel consumption should also be a factor, and more folks will consider riding as fuel costs go up.

BTW: These exact guidelines have been in place for a very long time here in CA. This is a better publicized republish of them. The media is clueless about it, and has actually reported here that they are new laws.

BTW: These exact guidelines have been in place for a very long time here in CA. This is a better publicized republish of them. The media is clueless about it, and has actually reported here that they are new laws.
Whether or not these guidelines were in place for a long time, they were never written down and available to the public until just now. It was always hearsay and common knowledge before that. Thanks to the CHP for finally clearing things up.

Ever heard of Canada? It's a no no, all the way across the country.
What country's that in?
tonguesmiley.gif

(Sometimes one exaggerates in order to make a point.)

I noted in the article they say it's safer because motorcycles don't crash into the cars in front of them. Huh? Particularly in this day and age of drivers having their noses in their phones, I'm much more concerned with getting rear-ended--especially because IMO based on observations of freeway traffic as I zip past it on the BART train, phone use while driving goes way up as traffic begins to slow and bunch up. (BTW, based on this informal survey, I have been pleased to note that when traffic is moving at speed the vast majority of drivers are paying attention.)

Thanks for the cool Bronson video, michaelsphoto. I may be mistaken, but I think the intersection at :30 is Van Ness and Lombard, looking west on Lombard. Which means that Bronson is heading away from the ocean in the shot, but who cares, it looks great! The shot at :52 is clearly the Cliff House.

Thanks for the cool Bronson video, michaelsphoto. I may be mistaken, but I think the intersection at :30 is Van Ness and Lombard, looking west on Lombard. Which means that Bronson is heading away from the ocean in the shot, but who cares, it looks great! The shot at :52 is clearly the Cliff House.
Don't get started on the editing. Hat, no hat, hat, no hat, beach, road, beach, grass, no grass, bridge, beach etc.

Lane splitting is about the only thing I miss about California, lol. It's a great way to filter through rush hour without too many problems. Now we need other states to get it together...

As a recent transplant to the great Republik 'O Kalifornia, I am learning the joy of lane sharing.

I have a question for you native/long term splitters though. Does this apply to all multi lane roads (i.e in town) or just the higher speed highways?

Greg

Lane splitting is impossible on a 2-lane road, as there is only one lane in either direction. You can filter to the right at a stop sign or red light if there's room, but riding on the shoulder is illegal. I have ridden to the front at a construction flag backup, but I can't attest to which painted street markings I may have crossed to do so. ;)

Multi-lane city streets are OK. Just be careful of the width between lanes; most street lanes are narrower than freeway lanes.

I'm getting a deja vu vibe right now, but what the heck. As to where it's legal, it's legal most anywhere unless lane markings make it obviously not legal. Many on- and off-ramps, for example, have a solid heavy white line for the last few car lengths before a traffic signal or metering signal. Seems obvious you shouldn't cross that. And I never split or pass coming up to a metering light anyway, because that's just rude--cutting in line like that. I assume it's illegal too, but what a way to piss off the car drivers. (FYI--at least here, access to freeways is often controlled by red/green lights that allow just one, sometimes two, vehicles per lane per green.) When you cut in on somebody and take his turn, that's going to piss him off. It would me.

But you can split on city streets too, though it's often tighter and more subject to sudden changes by the cars. Be vewy, vewy careful.

One other thing. "Impossible to split lanes on a 2-lane road?" Oh, it's possible.

Sorry, I should have said 2 lanes in the same direction (multi lane)