2013 FJR Digital Speedometer Accuracy

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wine Guy

More throttle, less brake
Reaction score
For those of you riding the new 2013 FJR, I was wondering how accurate your digital speedometer is. At 100 kph according to my GPS, my speedometer is reading 107 kph. Has anyone else measured the accuracy of their speedometer? Is there a way to adjust it to be more accurate?

I found the same discrepancy on my 2012. I know that you can buy a speedo healer to fix the problem. I installed one on my GSXR when I swapped out the rear sprocket. They are fairly easy to install, I'm just not sure if they will have one for the 2013 FJR

For those of you riding the new 2013 FJR, I was wondering how accurate your digital speedometer is. At 100 kph according to my GPS, my speedometer is reading 107 kph. Has anyone else measured the accuracy of their speedometer? Is there a way to adjust it to be more accurate?
YUUUUP!

Mike- Just become a fellow FatSider
smile.png
...your speedo will then match your GPS purr-fectly.

If the Gen III is like the Gen II the speed signal is taken from an ABS wheel sensor which you don't want to hook the healer to. If the Gen III is like the Gen II the ABS ECU outputs a speed signal to the ECU, this would be the one that the speed healer would hook to. I gots ta get me a Gen III FSM. Hmm, this may also be a way to spoof the ECU and work around the cruise control thingie.

If the Gen III is like the Gen II the speed signal is taken from an ABS wheel sensor which you don't want to hook the healer to. If the Gen III is like the Gen II the ABS ECU outputs a speed signal to the ECU, this would be the one that the speed healer would hook to. I gots ta get me a Gen III FSM. Hmm, this may also be a way to spoof the ECU and work around the cruise control thingie.
If u get a G3 ECU programmer/flasher, guess you will have lot's of peeps lined up outside your garage!

At a mere case of beer per (friend) I guess you won't be buying any beer for a very long ass time
smile.png

YUUUUP!

Mike- Just become a fellow FatSider
smile.png
...your speedo will then match your GPS purr-fectly.
Going DarkSide also fixed mine to about 70. The speedo reads 71 at 70 gps, 82 at 80 gps, etc. Mucho gooder than the original that started at 45.

Not to complicate the issue, but bear in mind that the speedometer will be affected by the diameter of the rear tire, which will vary by something like 3.5% over the life of the tire. Your speedo could be spot on perfect with a new tire and 3.5% fast at the wear bars.

I checked mine when new against a friend's GPS, and it was within one mph and change at 70. I wonder if there's a discrepancy between mph and kph.

Last edited by a moderator:
About a 2 MPH difference here. My next rear tire will be a 190/55 which I am told will make the MPH reading almost perfect.....like the 2013 FJR is!
punk.gif

Passing Cops? You lil speed demon
wink.png
I pass 'em all the time, but I usually slow down when I do.
wink.png

This reminds me. I met one the other day coming around a blind corner, checked my speedo, and it said 72. He turned around and chased me down, and he said "I clocked you at 72." That's another reason I thought my speedo was pretty accurate. But you guys are making me second guess myself. I guess I need to check it again.

Don't come to NY-State then and pass a State Trooper. They just plain ol' don't liked to get passed; EVAH! (experienced!)
I passed one yesterday. He was doing 60 in a 65 in the extreme inside lane, so I set my cruise on 65 and went on by. It took a little while to work past the traffic that wouldn't pass him, but someone finally took an exit and opened the right lane. It was frustrating. I was in my truck muttering "You can do the speed limit and pass him dangit!" and "What are you afraid he'll do? Write you a ticket for doing 64 in a 65?"
fool.gif

My new '13 shows the same different - even more significant in higher speed. Just tested my Cruise control yesterday. In user manual is mentioned that CC is working up to 180 Km/Hour - I was able to set up CC to 198 Km/H on speedometer but my GPS displayed 180 Km/H max. So looks like system itself is working pretty accurate just Yamaha does not want us to pay too many tickets...

Last edited by a moderator:
I have found a similar situation on my 2013 FJR. Although I haven't 'nailed down' the exact numbers, it seems about 5-6 km per hour fast at speeds in the 110 to 120 range.

One question emerges from these similar experiences: why hasn't Yamaha corrected this with the (their) suggested tire sizing long before the bike gets to market? Most automobile owners wouldn't accept this discrepancy (nor would the police if the readings were low) so why should bike riders be any different? Just wondering...