fjr undertank heat protector

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lele

Reaction score
Hello,

just bougth an heat protector oem from yamaha part number 5JW-12682-00 couse my old used bike miss it....does anyone know how to fit it? it has 2 holes that I think must fits somewhere under the tank near injection bodies or petrol hoses...but which ones?

thank u

Lele

Italy

sorry for my English...:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine is a 2009... don't know how much of a difference there is but here is my input :

I removed mine when changing the spark plugs.... the actual fuel line doesn't go through the heat shield as I was able to remove it without disconnecting any gas line. The only wires going through one of the holes is to pass the two electrical connectors that go to the underside of the fuel tank (one is white and the other is green or blue if my memory is good). Both went into the same hole of the heat shield.

You will need to partially fold the heat shield in order to get it in (the T brace has to be removed first). I will try to get some photos for you....

The Gen I has a rubber sheet that goes under the T-bar which is what lele is talking about. The tab part of the rubber sheet goes up to the steering head as shown in the picture, it goes under the point where the T-bar bolts and over the Air Injection Solenoid. Even though the two holes look like they should have bolts that go through them, there are no bolts. The holes should be slotted so hoses can be slid into the holes. The rubber sheet is not bolted down, is not clipped down and is only secured by the hoses that go through the two holes. Once the rubber sheet is in place the T-bar is installed. The FSM torque for the T-bar is someplace over 70 ft/lb and some people have stripped the threads trying for this torque. The same T-bar on the Gen II is around 27 ft/lb if I remember correctly.

image_zps720fa394.jpg

Dang, that Gen I heat shield is very different... sorry I couldn't help.
The rubber sheet is not really a heat shield, it so more of a water shield? The 'heat shield' on a Gen I is a thin sheet of tin foil glued to the bottom of the gas tank, the foil is not much more that a heat reflector. A lot of the earlier Gen I owners built their own creative heat shields that approximated what the Gen II ended up with from the factory.

Hello,just bougth an heat protector oem from yamaha part number 5JW-12682-00 couse my old used bike miss it....does anyone know how to fit it? it has 2 holes that I think must fits somewhere under the tank near injection bodies or petrol hoses...but which ones?

thank u

Lele

Italy

sorry for my English...:)
Not sure if this is what you mean? Streethawk's post on reviving an FJR shows him fitting this to his project!

FJRB015.jpg

That is an aftermarket heat shield that Streethawk was clever enough to find that most of the Forum seems to have somehow missed. Even though Street' is installing it on his Gen II the heat shield is intended for the Gen I FJRs.

The following picture is a clickable link.

thanks all for the reply,

last question..could genII heat shield fit in a Gen I bike?

maybe this lower the heat during the summer!

I installed that heat shield in the pic above - the aftermarket one..... Its fantastic on my Gen 1....

I had gone until last year before I purchased it, and I just delt with the heat - but figured for the price I would give it a shot...

As much as I miss the heat in the spring and fall - the summer nut roasting months just became intolerable for me....

It was a welcome upgrade to beat the heat. Tank is much cooler and far less heat.... you won't regret it...

Patrick