The Fark-ling Has Begun

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RzrBak

Reaction score
I've had my'05 since the end of March this year and after having started commuting to work (about 130 miles round trip) I realized I needed to make adjustments to the "blue eyed" gal! I am by no means Richie Rich so I had to prioritize.

• I first started tackling the heat issue by putting a heat blanket under the tank (sorry, no pics...didn't think about it until it was all buttoned up. Doh!).
  • Got the right side (Cromeit mod) done with a slight variance. My OEM foam was in bad shape and couldn't be used in the way he outlined. So I had to remove it all. I used a full new piece to match the ends of the old foam (see 2nd pic). I haven't been able to find 1/16" aluminum yet to complete the left side. HD & Lowes only carry .025". Anyone know why the foam wouldn't/shouldn't work???

• Next I tackled the handle bar position and added D&D 10 Degree Pullback risers. I may have taken some of the "sport" out of the touring but only in posture...I ain't a young'un any more so this helped in being seated more upright. To supplement riding position, I have ordered a Cee Bailey's +2 +4 which should be here Friday. I'm 6' 1" and now need a little more coverage!

• I also tackled the wrist ache I started to develop by installing the BrakeAway Cruise Control. Yea it's not a true "cruise" but more a lock. It's way better than the Crampbuster I was using but not quite the cruise control I really wanted.

• My last addition was to the sides of the tank. I notice that I started to mar the sides due to squeezing the tank so I installed TechSpec Snake Skins on. It's made a big difference in grip and control and an added feature that no one can see the rub marks.
    no.gif

I've already put over 4500 miles on the bike so...more to additions to come. I will be installing the windscreen, fenda extenda, and a Shad 50L top case (all have already been ordered, just haven't arrived yet).

Thanks for readin'!

I like it.

Might have to steal your idea on the tank sides. Are they pretty grippy? I like to be able to squeeze a tank with my knees for stability sometimes, it doesn't work with the fjr tank. Not sure why exactly, it works fine on my ninja and V-strom?

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice mods RZR. I've done the heat blanket and Cromeit mods, they do make a difference. I also have the Griptech Snakeskins. All futere bikes will have these. Especially helpful during braking. Glad to see another Gen1 owner showing the ol' girl a little love. Carry on, sir!

They are grippy yet not hard! If you purchase get the .125 thickness pads and that's what I have. I had read some reviews that it was a harder compound but I found that not to be the case. The "skin" is raised more than the Fusion Tank Grip and the C3 Tank Grip.

Shamelessly stolen from the web site "You will feel the difference the minute you throw your leg over and take a seat, improving the relationship between you and your machine! Squeeze it, Grip it, Rip it!! Squeeze your tank and feel what solid seat position is and does for you. Will assist in reduction of vibration, increase in control, and increase in comfort".

Nice mods RZR. I've done the heat blanket and Cromeit mods, they do make a difference. I also have the Griptech Snakeskins. All futere bikes will have these. Especially helpful during braking. Glad to see another Gen1 owner showing the ol' girl a little love. Carry on, sir!

Where did you end up finding the aluminum piece??

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, but you did ask where I got the material. Just a scrap from work. No need to shake your tiny finger at me.
no.gif

Sorry, but you did ask where I got the material. Just a scrap from work. No need to shake your tiny finger at me.
no.gif
LOL! Yes I did...not shaking it at you...just my attempt at being funny. I guess emoji would have made better sense if I had referenced the Dikembe Mutumbo commercial (that has been spinning through my brain since this morning's commute). 'preciate the info though.

I was attempting humor also. A bit of a smartass I am ;)

If you were closer I'd give you an old signal visor to cut up.