Superceded Oil Filter

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WBill

Reaction score
Has the OEM oil filter changed?

I Just returned from the local dealer after the second trip. My bike is an '05. Earlier today, I bought some Rotella and an oil filter for my 64, 000 mile change. Back in my garage, I compared the new filter to the old one, and the new one was obviously shorter than the one on the bike. Rode back to town and visited my parts guy, who told me that the short filter has officially superceded the old, longer one.

Any comments from the collective? WBill

It will work. No issue or problem. My bike has not seen an OEM filter since I got it over 100,000 miles ago - There are good quality filters out there for cars that will work perfectly and for a lot less $$

Mama Yama has chosen to use the shorter length (same width) as on the S-10 and/or some other models, and simply eliminate the extra filer size. Now the Gen 3 FJR's come w/ the shorter one and all refills are 'supposed' to be shorter also. I ordered (a long) one from RA, and he reminded me there are now 2 models available. Use either one in confidence.

Yup, it's been discussed before. It's OK to use the short filter. However, since the short filter almost certainly doesn't have the filtering capacity of a longer one, here's a $3.15 solution.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup, it's been discussed before. It's OK to use the short filter. However, since the short filter almost certainly doesn't have the filtering capacity of a longer one, here's a $3.15 solution.
Yep! You can find the longer one just about everywhere. It's all good. Just a matter of preference.

Just my personal opinion, but I think OEM filters are a HUGE waste of money. I've used Purolators on mine since I bought it, per the recommendation of this forum.

I kept OEM filters for my 08 while it was still under warranty in case I ever had a problem, but normally use the Bosch filter. No problems so far.

GP

I'm a spendthrift and use the Purolator Gold in the same size (add a "P" to the model number prefix.) FYI. It fits my 2012 CRV, 2008 Accord, and 2002 VFR800 as well.

Well, I put the stubby one on yesterday, and nothing blew up. I noted that the new filter internals look different than the old model it replaced.

Now ready to plan that end-of-summer ride.

Thanks for all the replys with assurances that all is as it is supposed to be. I had to snicker, though, when I clicked on the "$3.15" link and saw the notice to the effect that, "This will not fit your 2006 FJR 1300."

All my oil filters have been OEM since I bought the 'sikkle, and I know they're spendy. However, my local dealer has always been very good to me, and the goodwill savings they have extended to me, the loyal customer, on parts and service has easily amounted to more than I would have saved on cheaper filters from an auto parts store over the years.

Note, however, that my loyalty stops short of buying 5 quarts of Yamaha synthetic oil. WBill

Thanks for all the replys with assurances that all is as it is supposed to be. I had to snicker, though, when I clicked on the "$3.15" link and saw the notice to the effect that, "This will not fit your 2006 FJR 1300."

I used the little drop down on the Purolater and it said it does not fit my 2008 AE.
They're full of shit. It fits fine.

There is more to it then it "fits fine". Just because a filter screws on and the seal lines-up does not mean it fits the bike from the perspective of flow rate and the pressure relief valve. Maybe it is okay, chances are it is, but then just maybe it isn't. Personal testimonials about such things rank up there with people who say, "I've been smoking for 40 years and I feel fine." They mean very little. You pay your money and you take your chances.

Just my personal opinion, but I think OEM filters are a HUGE waste of money. I've used Purolators on mine since I bought it, per the recommendation of this forum.
Gary neglected to mention that his Purolator also allowed him to exceed Mamayama's 4k mile oil change interval** last summer on his little coast-to-coast and back again (including the IBA "50CC") vacation ride.

**official disclaimer: ALWAYS use Yamaha parts and follow Yamaha's recommended service intervals. If you want to ride more than 4k miles between oil changes, you have to leave the USA and keep track of your distance in kilometers.

... If you want to ride more than 4k miles between oil changes, you have to leave the USA and keep track of your distance in kilometers.
Or come to the UK where you can stick to miles, but legitimately do 6000 of them between changes.

1_OwnerManual2010_P6-4.jpg

FYI - We cross referenced in our auto service shop, and got a Hastings oil filter number..... LF240....

Hastings makes very good quality oil filters, we have been using them for as long as I can remember in our shop.

Funny thing is I own a 2009 Honda Accord and its the same filter, which is also the same filter for my Grasshopper Lawnmower LOL

I've been using that filter for my 05 for the last 8 years, screws on and off with the Highway brackets no problem....

I will say tis nice to walk over to the shelf and just grab one.

https://bit.ly/1qUchX1

Seriously? The UK manual has a 6000 mile service interval?

Ever since I have been in the US I have been suspicious of recommended service intervals for motorcycles AND cars. There are still folk here changing their car engine oil every 3000 miles, for f's sake!

Seems to me that the engineers are being over-ruled by the accountants and the marketing department.

It also seems that my original plan will be just fine. Heavy Duty Diesel Motor Oil every 5000 miles and a new filter every other change.

Seriously? The UK manual has a 6000 mile service interval?...
As far as I am aware, UK FJRs have always had a 6000 mile service interval, right back to 2001 when they first appeared here - just downloaded the 2001 manual, yup, it says 10000 km service interval.