Bosch 3323 oil filter

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah - that happened to me on a Honda Accord. When I went to fill up the engine, it POURED onto the driveway. As a matter of practice/habit, I now check the old filter to ensure the gskt came with it.

first - thanks to Ignacio for the clarification of why this went to NEPRT - appreciated.

hppants - thanks for the specific feedback - I probably managed to find 2 culls...

and to the folks that asked about the gasket from the old filter still being there - nope. still on the filter I removed, and I always wipe the loose oil etc before installing a new filter. Being on oh say the cheap side, kept the 2 new 3323 and thinking about swapping the old filter gasket and seeing if I can spring another leak...

Well, let's hope it was just a couple of bad ones. Since you got two in a row, it may be a bad batch. Hopefully they will all be off the shelves before spring when I may be looking for one.
cool.png

not to drag this out unnecessarily, but "Mr Observant" here just noticed something this morning - the new filter (on the left in the image) is convex on the top compared to the concave older one on the right

filters.jpg

Good catch on the difference! It also appears that the metal just outward from the threads was bottomed out on your engine's filter mount ... you couldn't have got it on any further.

It would be wise to give Bosch a ring, provide them the manufacturing digits off the filter (or box?) ... they should send you two replacements and recall a buncha filters, my opinion. From their website:

Product WarrantyHave you tried contacting the original place of purchase to return the product for warranty consideration?

If not, please contact the place of purchase for consideration.

Otherwise, please call 855-267-2483 and choose option #4 to speak to a technical support representative.

(Me calling Bosch on phone) "Hello, Bosch? Yeah, I'm using one of your car filters on my motorcycle and it appears you changed the design and it will no longer fit. I think this is a defect and you should initiate a recall, and oh yeah, send me two replacement filters."

<click>

"Hello? Hello?"

no.gif

That design change will affect any vehicle with a flush fitting surface around the filter threads where the bottom of the filter can bottom out before the gasket. Looks like we just lost a compatible filter if they continue the convex bottom surface. That is actually a pretty significant design change.

not to drag this out unnecessarily, but "Mr Observant" here just noticed something this morning - the new filter (on the left in the image) is convex on the top compared to the concave older one on the right
filters.jpg
Almost makes one wonder if the cap wasn't inadvertently installed upside down... (while quality control was sleeping).

That design change will affect any vehicle with a flush fitting surface around the filter threads where the bottom of the filter can bottom out before the gasket. Looks like we just lost a compatible filter if they continue the convex bottom surface. That is actually a pretty significant design change.

Tom - assuming the two new filters aren't just odd mistakes, that would be why I posted originally, altho hppants earlier in this thread had no trouble with a new one

Good catch on the difference! It also appears that the metal just outward from the threads was bottomed out on your engine's filter mount ... you couldn't have got it on any further.

It would be wise to give Bosch a ring, provide them the manufacturing digits off the filter (or box?) ... they should send you two replacements and recall a buncha filters, my opinion. From their website:

Product WarrantyHave you tried contacting the original place of purchase to return the product for warranty consideration?

If not, please contact the place of purchase for consideration.

Otherwise, please call 855-267-2483 and choose option #4 to speak to a technical support representative.
I was thinking of stopping by the store and pulling a new one out of the box to see if it was concave or convex, and if concave, returning the two new ones - it's easy to see (once you see it!)

If it were me, I'd definitely call their warranty support at 855-267-2483 Option 4 and either email them the photo or give them the Photobucket link, Maybe they'd replace the filters and maybe not. But they need to be aware that it no longer works in at least this application. I bet there are others.

(Call to Bosch warranty support, 2nd attempt)

"Hello Bosch? Yes, I would like to make you aware that a change you made to one of your oil filters no longer works with my application."

(Charlie Brown adult voice response)

"My application? Well, I don't see why that really matters but I'm attempting to install it on my FJR motorcycle."

"Yes, I understand you never spec'd this filter to work any motorcycle and that the changes made to the filter still allow it to work on those vehicles it was designed for. What you don't understand is it used to work and frankly I think you should recall filters with this new design and reward me with two new filters for pointing this out. I can even provide you with pictures that show how the new design doesn't work on my motorcycle, I mean application."

"What? Did I call earlier? Yes, but you need to understand that I read on the Internet that this filter should work on my motorcycle and everyone agrees you should recall this..."

<click>

Scene in the Bosch warranty support office immediately following the <click>

Charlie Brown adult voice guy to fellow cubical farm inhabitants: "I gotta save a copy of this call for the office Christmas party!!!"

Something is very odd with that [new?] Bosch filter. I recently re-stocked my supply from Rock Auto and none are of that design.

For comparison purposes, the new short Yamaha filter plus both short/long Bosch.

BoschFilters_zpsae79925c.jpg

--G

Something is very odd with that [new?] Bosch filter. I recently re-stocked my supply from Rock Auto and none are of that design.
For comparison purposes, the new short Yamaha filter plus both short/long Bosch.

--G
thanks - [laughing as I type this} your gray box looks like mine {geez...} but the 3323 in this pic besides being concave also has the "old" label - leading credence to maybe me buying two mis-labelled filters

filters.jpg
Almost makes one wonder if the cap wasn't inadvertently installed upside down... (while quality control was sleeping).

--G
Kinda looks like ionbeam's theory is supported by escape's evidence. Rather than the skepticism expressed by some about calling Bosch, doncha think they just might be interested in fixing what appears to be a production issue rather than dealing with lawyers and judges?

Love this place.

Hilarious phone call "transcriptions" and comparative close-up photos of oil filters. Same topic. Y'all crack me up.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a shrewd observation Dr Ionbeam!

Looking at pics of dissected oil filters, none appear to use a reversible threaded plate.

BoschDVsPureOne-5.jpg

Maybe someone over-torqued the filter and popped the threaded plate out. Later realizing what they did and returned it to the store!
uhoh.gif