Bosch 3323 oil filter

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just bought a new Bosch 3323 from Autozone and it's the convex typy, no workie. O'Rielly had the concave, works fine. Go figure. I now prefer the gaudy yellow Purolator filters.

I had just placed an order with amazon for a pair. Not knowing what I would get, I cancelled it and went with a mobil 1 filter. With the purolator filter that is on it now, it's the only thing I can see when I look at that side of the bike now.

And why would Bosch care about us using a filter not designed for our application?
Well, if the design was for a concave end plate, there are likely other applications which rely on that design. Back in post 49 Radiummadman mentions that there is a filter with a different part number which looks the same except that it has a convex end cap. It seems likely that the parts got mislabeled somewhere along the manufacturing and packaging process.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know these aren't Rolex watches, but perhaps these a counterfeit oil filters? If so Bosch would be interested.

Last edited by a moderator:

It seems really odd that filters with identical labels and packaging could be so different. Also note that the FJR-compatible filter has the orange nitrile ADBV. The other filter has a black (silicone?) ADBV. That's just weird.
I found a Bosch 3323 which is convex and has the orange Nitrile ADBV. Yes, so Bosch REALLY screwed the pooch on this one. I won't be buying anymore Bosch filters either. Fortunately I have a good stock of the old Bosch 3323s.

I really do not want to stir this pot any more than it has already, but I have run into the same issue now with the Purolator L14610. Been using them for years, and somehow got (2) bad ones from (2) different locations. Went back to the Bosch and had the same issue again. After finding this thread, I can now validate the next one purchased. Thanks to those who contributed to the thread.

I guess I'll be opening the box of whatever I buy before I leave the store. Or go to the yammy dealer. :(

I wonder if lawyers and liability is involved in this change. I am pretty sure the statement below came from the lawyers not the engineers.

Q: Can I use a PureONE oil filter on my motorcycle?

A: Purolator highly recommends using the Purolator ML motorcycle filters specially designed for motorcycles and ATVs. Check out the Purolator Motorcycle and ATV Application Guide to find the right motorcycle filter for your bike.

Bosch Premium (US version) and Purolator PureOne filters are essentially the same. Both are manufactured by Purolator, I believe.

This thread describes one account of the big boy transactions: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3562953/Bosch_filters

Perhaps the recent base plate changes have to do with recent corporate horse trading.

This thread in the bobistheoilguy forum is in the context of filter media tearing, and there is somewhat of a crusade developing there against Purolator. This thread is just one episode of the very popular show called "As The Oil Filter Turns".

Andy

I had just placed an order with amazon for a pair. Not knowing what I would get, I cancelled it and went with a mobil 1 filter. With the purolator filter that is on it now, it's the only thing I can see when I look at that side of the bike now.
I was at AutoZone today picking up oil & filter for the wife's Mazda. I've always used Bosch 3330 filters on it. Always. Remembering this thread I checked but every box had the convex filter. Would it leak? Dunno but I decided not to chance it. So I checked the M1-102 equivalent and lo & behold 2 were concave and 2 were convex. Called the manager over, showed him both the Bosch and M1's, and asked him why the difference and wouldn't the convex one leak? He did a quick check and got my phone#, said he's gonna see what he can find out.

FWIW IMO you gotta check them all every time.

I think I will just keep using the OEM filter and not worry about if it will work or not. It seems like too much frustration just to save a couple of bucks and I don't have to look at some funny colored filter hanging off my bike.

I now believe Yamaha has planted a saboteur in several filter manufacturing facilities for the purpose of convincing us only the OEM filters are safe.

It's working. I bet Yamaha's filter sales triple this year.

I now believe Yamaha has planted a saboteur in several filter manufacturing facilities for the purpose of convincing us only the OEM filters are safe.It's working. I bet Yamaha's filter sales triple this year.
Sneaky rascals
smile.png

I just went to Auto Zone to pick up some 3323's and sure nuff......they were all (8) the convex style. Checked the 3300's and same story. I wound up with a M1-110 and it looked and worked fine. May just start using OEM's in the future as the Mobil 1 version was pricey!

Dang, I wish I would've seen this thread before I went out and bought a Bosch 3323 oil filter. I got the same feeling on installation that it just stopped turning. There was not that familiar contact with the gasket with allowing me to turn the filter and extra 1/2 to 3/4 turn. It just bottomed out and wouldn't turn anymore. I don't recall if the bottom was concaved or convexed.

I don't have a puddle on the garage floor, but there is a little residual oil at the bottom of the filter.

I just ordered two K&N filters from Amazon. A KN-148 and KN-204. My last filter was a 204 which worked great. I'd like to try the 148 to see if it works. I like the fact that the 148 is the larger size. My thinking the larger size if going to filter more, or have to the capacity to filter more than the smaller size.

Bumping this slightly dated thread. I grabbed a 3323 at Autozone, spun it on last night, I could tell it was effed. Looked at the shape compared to the pull-off 3323, and it's what you see above. Took the new one back, found one with the right shape, exchanged, screwed it on and all is well--slowly bottomed out then torqued on as it should. The 'bad style' ones are either still out there or just a new design they're going with that I'm guessing does not seal well on the bike.

I've used the 3323's for my FJR's entire life with no problem. This same filter is used for the FJR, my wife's Acura TL and also her Honda NC700XD motorcycle, so it made filter stocking easy. I'm down to 3 of the old 3323's and didn't want to use any on the car, so I ordered a dozen from rockauto.com to use ($3.59 each plus $0.76 each shipping if ordering a dozen). All the new 3323's are "outies" that won't work on the FJR.

I did notice that rockauto.com lists parts for the FJR and they show a Wix 57356 oil filter for my 07, so I ordered one of those to try. It is maybe a 1/4 inch shorter than the 3323, but most importantly it is an "innie" on the threads. I'll report back how it works.

I was also recently in the local Wally world and looked at their oil filter supply. Didn't bother looking at their FRAM options because I won't run one of those. The Purolator L14610 that has been reported as FJR compatible in the past had "outie" threads and probably won't work for the FJR anymore. This is probably a case where some big factory makes the same filter for various brands with different paint and stickers, but the same otherwise.

Can a thread be never-ending and recurring without being pointless?

Latest posts