Commuter Chronicles, Volume I, No. 3

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Burleigh

Reaction score
As one for whom the best part of my day is my commute because I get to play patty-cake with the cages on my FJR, I have been particularly troubled by a recent fatality during the morning commute of an experienced Bay Area motorcycle commuter.

I think as with most humans, when someone who looks a lot like me perishes untimely, violently, I try to rationalize my way out of believing that it could happen to me. I do this by searching for the differences between us.

Trouble is, with this one, I’ve had trouble finding the differences. And as a result it’s kinda put me into one of my periodic “I’m going to be killed in a motorcycle wreck” funks.

I think these funks are a net positive, however, because when I come out the other end of them, I typically find I’ve been jolted out of my Teflon complacency and re-double my focus on safety.

But when I’m in the funk I feel it deeply, as if I have woken up in a Twilight Zone reality where I know for certain I will be crushed by cars and there is nothing to be done about it. Because I don’t have a car and can’t stand the thought of commuting to work by train. By any other means really. I thrive on the morning and evening adrenalin rush of getting out there on the game field. Because I always win.

"Always win...." But wait. I’m getting ahead of the narrative….

Nevertheless I continue to search for the differences. I think I may have found one. That is, in this case, found it.

I think this unfortunate fellow rider may have perished from a motorcyclist’s malady that I have just discovered and named: Entitlement Syndrome (ES).

Here’s what we think we know about this accident: The rider was going 70 MPH up between cars in the nos. 1 and 2 lanes that were going about 50 MPH. He dove in between a box delivery truck on his right and a Volvo wagon on his left. One of the bags on his Beemer hit the truck, which destabilized him. He hit the Volvo, and then went down.

From the moment he decided to dive up the middle to when he was dead—and here’s the part that impresses me, about how quickly you can go from decision to f**ked—was probably 5 seconds.

It doesn’t matter if those are the facts, because that’s the storyline that’s got me in a funk. Well, in a funk till I diagnosed the problem as ES. He had it; I don’t. There’s the difference. Or perhaps better said, I manage mine better. It’s like knowing when to stop drinking, or how to drink moderately.

I have often spoken about, curiously, how I feel “powerful” when I commute. That’s a strange word to use since you’re the most vulnerable sad sack out there. But nevertheless it’s true. You feel powerful. You’ve got more acceleration, maneuverability, and braking ability than any cage on the playing field. And you can fit in and out of spaces no cage can. You are never in gridlock, and you always get to go to the head of the line. On top of that, you’ve been doing it for years, and you always get ahead. You always win.

“Always win.” There’s a clue there as to what ES is. Or what its roots are anyway.

ES, or Entitlement Syndrome, is the chronic belief that no matter what the incremental new traffic configuration is right at this moment in front of you—you can always get ahead. You always “fit.” You always win. That you're entitled to get ahead because you're on a motorcycle.

It is the belief that the pace you are travelling at now, and that you have been successfully travelling at for years commuting (meaning you haven’t crashed), is the pace you can continue till you get to work or home that day. It blinds you to the need to slow or stop or God forbid concede that you do not get to be, in this instance, in front of the $%#@*! cage in front of you. So you just dive in.

ES is often, I have noticed, accompanied by excessive speed differential. I get out of the way of riders all the time who go flying up ahead of me between cars at frightening speed, diving into spaces I would never have thought they could make. And they are certainly presuming that what they are seeing in this moment will remain exactly the same in the next: that the car ahead will not change lanes, speed up, or slow down just as they are entering the gap.

I suspect that is what led to my colleague’s death—a failure to come off the pace and concede that he could not get between the truck and the Volvo.

The antidote is fear, skepticism, respect for unrelenting metal against the soft and bony parts of your body, acknowledgement that drivers do act unpredictably, and of course physics (something to do with two metallic bodies occupying the same space at the same time). Most important: You can't lose if you don't play the game.

So the difference is that I keep two fingers on my front brake lever, keep my boot often hovering over my rear brake pedal, and vary my pace continually, often coming to a complete stop (albeit not foot down stop) when I approach a couple of cages too close or not holding their lines. And I'm willing to concede first place to the cages.

The common names for ES are cocky, arrogant, and maybe even stupid. And we all know stupid hurts. Sometimes it even kills.

Jb

P.S. I can hear Silent now: “You know what your problem is, JB? You over-think stuff.” Yeah, I know it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well written JB, and very timely. This very evening, I have four people in my prayers due to the results of motorcycle accidents. It occurred to me as I switched from Facebook to the forum that four acquaintances is a big number. These are seriously injured people. Like you, I'm wondering if it will be me next and looking for reasons that it was someone else and not me.

Why them and not me? I don't know the answer to that. I think that luck plays a huge part, since the four were all experienced riders, more so than I am. As far as I know, all were sober and wearing ATGATT. Does it come down to risk tolerance? For the most part I'm a wuss for taking risks. If the HOV lane is moving at 50mph then I'm going 50mph. Lane sharing is a nerve-wracking experience for me, never done at more than about 20mph.

To jolt myself out of the complacency that a dull commute often brings, I will play mind games with myself, imagining what the driver in front, beside/behind me is going to do next, and how I will react. Where is my escape route? Will I brake first or swerve first? When the drivers around me get boring, I'll expand my horizons further along the road and imagine what the other morons are going to do.

I do agree that we must not enter into the entitlement zone. Even if the rules of the road say that you have the right of way, the larger, more stable vehicle driven by an illiterate idiot on her cell phone trumps your right.

Be safe out there boys and girls.

James, you have great point. I don't know for sure if the dead rider had ES, but he might have. Thanks for the post.

My antidote to ES is this phrase: Don't **** Up. Say it to yourself whenever you're doing something risky. Think about your family who needs you, and your friends who want to ride with you again. Riding bikes, we need to be ever vigilant. Sometimes we can relax that vigilance. A nice weekend cruise on Redwood Road maybe, or out on Highway 6 in Nevada. Splitting lanes in morning rush hour is NOT one of those times.

[SIZE=12pt]Don't. ****. Up.[/SIZE]

Live it.

"He was right, dead right, as he sped along.

Of course, he was just as dead as if he'd been dead wrong."

David Hough

Good post Hans. I need this type of "thought refreshing".

James,

I am sorry about your fellow rider... but he was speeding and not using sound judgement in those conditons. I know, I have rode in those conditions when I was in California for 10 years. Riding in heavy traffic between cars takes a constant focus, good judgment. and a speed no faster than 15mph up to the speed limit and less if conditions are erratic.

Keep in mind, you are the only State I know of that allows motorcycles to share lanes and I DEARLY miss it. But if you abuse this privilege, you can easily loose it. Then you will really have a different perspective of motorcycle riding which will not be of the fun type.

Enjoy your Special Privileges, be vigilent in heavy traffic, and use your noggin. It sure is a great deal better than highway driving here on a motorcycle.

All the Best and many Happy Miles to you.

Hans,

You think too much. Maybe.(Sorry Silent, too slow)

I think you're on to something here but you may be missing a piece. Given the proposition that the biker was splitting lanes at 70 amongst a bunch of cages doing 50 offers this conclusion: (Multi faceted though it may be.)

Said biker may have been in a big hurry. Maybe. He may just be crazy and not be able to handle 50MPH. He may also have been doing what many of us have done on similar freeways. Traffic is speeding up, then slowing down. Speeding up, then slowing down. Rather than get in and out of your lane splitting position and mindset, you end up splitting at speeds you wouldn't normally consider. After all, the traffic is going to slow down again in a few seconds, right?

Given one or the another of these possibilities, we may assume for this argument, that this rider was passing cars as they themselves were accelerating. Seeing a box truck up ahead with a big space cushion in front of it, our rider decides to make one more pass and then settle in with the flow. After all, who wants to be stuck behind some box truck or, God forbid, a Volvo.(Insert Subaru if you want.)

The rest, as we now know, is history.

One other likely possibility is that the rider splits lanes at 70MPH quite frequently and is quite comfortable there. The last thing he wants to do is slow down for a box truck and Volvo who seem to be pacing each other. This would show a sign of weakness. Nobody splitting lanes at 70 wants to show weakness. Now here is where ES would come in. He's done this a thousand times before. Nothing has ever gone wrong, so nothing should go wrong this time either.

I agree completely in your ES theory. I've felt the entitlement you describe many times. I've even been spanked a couple of times for it. Whether or not this rider was a victim of ES or some other misfortune, we will never know. But the rest of us could learn form your proposition nonetheless.

Thanks,

Mark

Get out of the fucking city, ride in Yosemite or someplace and you'll feel better. Why people ride, live and work a lot in big cities by choice escapes me. You'll shoot your eye out kid! ;)

Get out of the fucking city, ride in Yosemite or someplace and you'll feel better. Why people ride, live and work a lot in big cities by choice escapes me. You'll shoot your eye out kid! ;)
1.) Because they don't pay enough around Yosemite.

2.) Because they don't pay enough and give us enough time to commute from Yosemite.

3.) If none of us lived in large centralized population centers, Roseburg Oregon would be considered a large city!

4.) It's not that we live in a "big city" that's the main issue, rather our mindset when we do commute. This particular thought project by Hans certainly labels and quantifies something those of us who opt to live in metropolitan areas must learn to apply to our Mental Motorcycling Library (part of the mental armor we should don, along with our riding attire, as we ride to and from work).

Very well written, excellent points. Hans you are so on the money! ;)

I get in the same funks, I think that's a good thing too. One thing I don't like doing is going a lot faster then the cages I'm passing when lane sharing. I want to make sure they see me and I have time to react. I also don't like diving into spots in fear of the clown that I pull in front of isn't expecting it, and they can't stop in time.

I try, try mind you, to stick to one of my rules; if I have to think about it, don't do it.

Thanks for the great thoughts and post.

2.) Because they don't pay enough and give us enough time to commute from Yosemite.

3.) If none of us lived in large centralized population centers, Roseburg Oregon would be considered a large city!

4.) It's not that we live in a "big city" that's the main issue, rather our mindset when we do commute. This particular thought project by Hans certainly labels and quantifies something those of us who opt to live in metropolitan areas must learn to apply to our Mental Motorcycling Library (part of the mental armor we should don, along with our riding attire, as we ride to and from work).
Mike, I do understand. I grew up in Boston (not the burbs) and my first miles on a bike and many after were in cities. That was what the wink was for. I wuz poking at youse guys that have to live in 'em. Didn't mean to get ya riled or nuttin. I made another choice, and live away from cities -- some don't have the choice like my brother and his 'Wing. My mental armor is more tuned for wildlife. But one way to refresh is by getting away. YMMV.

Good post! I love thoughtful, analytical posts, or conversations, like this.

You are searching for the differences and maybe you have found one in ES. I'm a range guy....ranges of ES, ranges of risk, etc. I think for me there is also a range of adrennelin junkiness, need for speed, etc. I like the adrennelin rush that riding a motorcycle provides. I don't necessarily mean the rush of taking extreme chances, either. There is a low end (on the range) rush just by entering traffic. For me anyhow. Others have ridden so long I'm sure to get any small blip on the rush-o-meter they need to do more than get going into rush (pun not exactly intended but not unwelcomed) hour traffic. No judgement here.

Point is, I believe many riders need more speed and may take more chances than I need to just to get that old feeling back. There is definitely a deminishing return with this rush. The rush is satisfying, fun, gives that feeling of power when we do emerge at the end "victorious." Maybe this is also one of the differrences between you and the unfortunate rider.

Stuff is going to happen to some regardless of how much control they keep on their own rush pursuit. For me, it is nice to have a bit of it to enjoy the ride and to remind myself that I'm alive. Same reason I hit the backcountry or climb a peak in the Rockies. I'm sure others have reached the point that they may need to hit the track to satisfy the rush.

I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on this.

Lee

Mike, I do understand. I grew up in Boston (not the burbs) and my first miles on a bike and many after were in cities. That was what the wink was for. I wuz poking at youse guys that have to live in 'em. Didn't mean to get ya riled or nuttin. I made another choice, and live away from cities -- some don't have the choice like my brother and his 'Wing. My mental armor is more tuned for wildlife. But one way to refresh is by getting away. YMMV.
Shiny,

There's a reason he's called "Mad" Mike. Trust me, he's harmless.

Probably a good thing we can't legally lane split back east. Although it would help a hell of a lot, the cages would be out to screw you even more. Commuting is tough enough around DC.

I suspect that is what led to my colleague’s death—a failure to come off the pace and concede that he could not get between the truck and the Volvo.
I don't share lanes above 30 mph, or 10 mph faster than the flow of traffic, whichever is slower. That guy not only was riding recklessly (by the definition of almost any LEO), but by his final act of stupidity, he jeopardizes my privilege to continue to legally share lanes in this state. **** 'im. As long as he was going outlaw, why not pass the Volvo on the left? It would have been safer.

Also, I try to always stay as far from other vehicles as the road will allow, either to one side of the lane I'm in or the other, and occasionally in the center if there's cages in both surrounding lanes. I'm constantly amazed by riders who position themselves three feet from a big rig next to them, when they could easily be eight feet away. Distance from solid objects is your friend.

And tomorrow, I get to ride to work for the first time in almost three weeks, thanks to a bout with the Swine Flu and a parting-gift sinus infection. I'll be sporting my newly-warranteed Cycleport liners on the bottom and new Patagonia wind-proof fleece jacket up under the chain mail.... :yahoo:

Well .......................... I agree with Hans......................... but also with Bob.

A well written piece for sure, and I see the reasoning. BUT...... an equally short and to the point response to which I also see the reasoning.

I know .................. get off the frickin' fence huh?

James, a great piece. Also the comments from everyone (even toecutter) were excellent and thought provoking. As I am now a retired person, almost old enough for Medicare, I find this discussion very relevant to me and my occasional foray between the lanes. I will consider all the points made in light of my one reality. I believe I discovered, from 30 years of driving a big rig in the Bay area...That reality is this: No matter how many defensive driving courses one has taken, no matter how diligently one practices the Smith System's 5 keys, if that one person out there trys hard enough and plans well enough and his timing is perfect...he can and will kill you on your motorcycle. Hans rather than a feeling of empowerment that you feel, I just have a feeling of FEAR. My reaction to the level of fear is to build my safety cushion and not let anyone or anything get close to me..

I will also "evaluate" my risk tolerance as I continue to age and will hopefully "adjust" my riding style accordingly.. Alas, someday I will probably hang up the motorcycle entirely...Then again as long as it's a quick ending......