PCIII and Barbarian Mod, peaceful co-existance?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Last Chance

Reaction score
OK, well I've spent 30 minutes trying to find an answer via the search so my conscience is CLEAR!

I'm going to install a PCIII on my 2006 today. I've already done the Barbarian Modification (henceforth known as the BM for brevity's sake). My question for you techies out there.

Will the BM interfere or otherwise conflict with the PCIII? This ASSUMES I change the CO settings back to the factory settings via the diagnostic screen.

My hypothesis is: No, as long as I return the CO settings to the factory settings. My hypothesis is based on the assumption that the PCIII is taking signals from the FI computer and "modifying" them. The FJR is a closed loop (dumb) system and doesn't know it is being "modified". Unless the signals, modified by the PCIII are coming through the circuit affected by the BM modification, it should have no effect on the operation of the PCIII. (In other words, unless the wire I "relocated" during the BM is essential for the operation of the PCIII circuitry, it should not matter whether I did the BM or not.)

OK you electrical engineers/tech's out there what is the answer?

LC

P.S. I'm going to try it anyway and see what happens. If I don't like the results I will reverse the BM and see if that makes any difference.

Well, it's been discussed several times, but it can be hard to find the right thread.

No, the Barbarian Jumper Mod will not interfere with the operation of your PCIII. You are correct in that it would be a best practice to revert to your original CO settings.

Don't forget to disconnect the O2 sensor.

Good luck and let us know what how the PCIII affects your FJR.

Well, here is my .02 worth. I've been running for close to three weeks on a PCIII (yes for an '06) and I had also done the Barb Mod. I went +7 on all CO settings and after installing the PCIII, I did NOT undo the BM mod, nor did I set back the CO settings. No problems (that I know of) to this point and the bike runs FANTASTIC in all throttle ranges and gears! Pulls very close to my stock '03 and I would not trade this bike for anything else on two wheels!!! I am extremely happy with what the PCIII did for the '06!

Did I mention that over 700 miles with the PCIII and I am averaging right at 50 mph? This is unbelievable! The '03 gets around 45 mph!

I know it has been discussed but I have not seen it (and I may have missed it) explained in depth if I am doing any harm or not by not reversing the BM and settings. My theory was that since the Euro versions are able to change their settings and they could still add a PCIII, why couldn't I? Logic tells me I should have reset my CO settings back to stock but I thought I would try this little experiment first by leaving them at +7. Plus, if I think the bike runs fantastic...well, what's better then that? Orgasmic? Hmmm. Maybe I should shoot this question off to Dynojet....

Ok, I'll be that guy.

I'm assuming that you meant mpg, as in Miles Per Gallon. Right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it's been discussed several times, but it can be hard to find the right thread.
No, the Barbarian Jumper Mod will not interfere with the operation of your PCIII. You are correct in that it would be a best practice to revert to your original CO settings.

Don't forget to disconnect the O2 sensor.

Good luck and let us know what how the PCIII affects your FJR.
Thanks all and ScooterG, you too :) That's what I thought. I'm doing the opposite of KYFJR, reverted settings to "factory" (-7), left the BM in place for future use?, and my results with the PCIII on the 2006 are FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!! This is now the Bike from heaven!!!!! A 155 mph, Cool riding, super dooper, vacuum cleaner. (love that sound) and the operative word is now SMOOOOOOOTH!!!!! :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: B)

LC

Did I mention that over 700 miles with the PCIII and I am averaging right at 50 mph? This is unbelievable! The '03 gets around 45 mph!

My 06 usually averages 50 mpg without the PCIII. Only yhe BM with +7. Actually, during one 1500 mile run, it averaged 51.3 mpg.

My 06 usually averages 50 mpg without the PCIII. Only yhe BM with +7. Actually, during one 1500 mile run, it averaged 51.3 mpg.
Are you chaps measuring this mpg by tank fills and miles ridden or by the bike's computer?

There's another thread here on the PCIII and others more knowledgeable than I are suggesting that the ECU with the oxygen sensor may be overestimating the actual MPG.