Where is everyone mounting their aux power bus?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I'm mounting mine under the seat but I'm not completely sure yet. 

Anyway, here's what I did with the relay and once I decide where to put the bus, I'll finish up the job.

https://chornbe.com/motorcycles/fjr/power/

I know it sounds like overkill but I had the same sort of delimna when putting the extra wiring in. I ended up putting a strip in both places. One is under the fairing and one under the seat at the very rear of the compartment. I had stuff to hook up in both areas so I made a little harness to go under the tank to the rear so that there is an always hot and key switched strip in the rear. I mounted the front ones to the fairing mounting bars just under the mirror mounting pads. The always hot lead from the battery is a fused feed and the keyed circuit is on a relay controlled by the running lights. My bike was completely apart during the winter so it was easy to run the wires to the different places so I just put auxiliary power every place I thought I might need it so it will be easy to access later when the fairing and other bits are in place.

Good info. Thanks. I'm *not* tearing the fairing off, however :)

Ya know, I overlooked that. :unsure:

I should probably fuse the source to the relay switch, huh? Just in case of a wire rub (tho' it's pretty protected), or in case weather gets to the bus and does bad things. Hmm... I have a blade-type inline I can splice in.

Yep, mounted a Bluesea terminal block under the pillion...

DSC00466.jpg

Ran separate 10 gauge wires using an ignition-controlled relay (which I housed in the fairing near the battery) the relay you see in the photo above is for my horns, positioned ahead of a signal-dynamics back-off module...

Well, I went ahead and replaced that paired source-wire set with a fused 10g, then added another switched relay and pdb under the seat - I don't really need a non-switched circuit. Then I wired in the Corbin heating elements in the seats. Now, I just need to decide how I wish to mount the GPS and the Chatterbox. I currently have the handlebar mounts from RAM, but I realy don't want to have them on the bars because I don't want all the wires on the bars if I don't need to.

Dunno.

My Blue Sea is under the back seat:

DSC015962.jpg

I have my autocom intercom, Dual Star grip heaters, and just finished putting on my Hella FF50 lights tonight - all running thru the BS. Still amazes me how many wires, connections you have to make to run this stuff. Seems like I made 14 connections just to run the lights - but they do work well!

Anyway, here's what I did with the relay and once I decide where to put the bus, I'll finish up the job.

Like others, I mounted a Bluesea under the seat. It is relay switched via the license plate light lead (which is a simple bullet connection within 6" of the fuse block and relay location). I also mounted my Autocom under the tail section with the radio. The only wiring run to the front of the bike was the 10awg +/- and the Heat Troller for my vest. I wired my Battery Tender to the + side (input) side of the switched relay. Very clean and neat. I'll try to post some pics when I can.

Rob

Like others, I mounted a Bluesea under the seat. It is relay switched via the license plate light lead (which is a simple bullet connection within 6" of the fuse block and relay location). I also mounted my Autocom under the tail section with the radio. The only wiring run to the front of the bike was the 10awg +/- and the Heat Troller for my vest. I wired my Battery Tender to the + side (input) side of the switched relay. Very clean and neat. I'll try to post some pics when I can.

Rob
OK, heres a little pictorial of the Autocom and Bluesea power distribution unit I recently installed on my '06.

Since space is at a premium, I tried to use best available locations.

I mounted the Autocom in front of the tail light bulbs on a removable bracket I fashioned out of plexiglass and used velcro for the fasteners.

m_15499070.jpg

The Autocom bracket installed.

m_24760120.jpg

I found the most convenient place to get switched power for the relay was at the license plate light bullet connectors located just to the left, beside the riders seat.

m_28290584.jpg

A simple pigtail was built and plugged in with bullet connectors.

m_29540848.jpg

I used #10 awg wire for the + feed to the relay and - lead to the Bluesea neg. buss. I also used a 30 amp fuse on the + lead at the battery.

m_30711077.jpg

I ran the +/- leads inside armor shielding and routed accross the engine compartment and back down the left side of the frame to the riders seat.

m_32681374.jpg

I mounted the Bluesea power distribution right under the riders seat with the switching relay. You can just see the relay under the cable armor in the upper right corner. The inline fuse on top of the distribution block is the lead to the BatteryTender and connects to the hot side of the relay.

m_33861636.jpg

This is a photo showing the Autocom mounted and FRS Radio in its location. A small amount of foam under the radio made for a nice secure and snug fit. The cables have not been routed to their permanent locations yet.

m_35201974.jpg

Lost the images on my website and had to repost.

Sorry for the delay, also lost my hard drive and finally got it replaced.

Rob

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmmm, I like how the AutoCom is mounted in the tail. I moved mine to the tool tray to put the Blue Sea in the rear. Maybe I'll move it again. Great to see the different ways folks skin the same cat.

Edit - looking again I see yours in an 06 and our tails are different. I might not be able to mount it like yours - I think the pillion seat might prevent it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmmm, I like how the AutoCom is mounted in the tail. I moved mine to the tool tray to put the Blue Sea in the rear. Maybe I'll move it again. Great to see the different ways folks skin the same cat.
Edit - looking again I see yours in an 06 and our tails are different. I might not be able to mount it like yours - I think the pillion seat might prevent it.
Jim, I think your install is pretty neat and clean. The '06 tail section is definitely different than the '05. I decided to sacrafice the tool space for electrics, radio and equipment I wanted to keep in a secure place.

I figured I would carry my tools in a seperate kit in the saddle bags anyway.

Rob