Collett Electronics ~ Platinum 900

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My son and I have the Platinum 900, including the passenger intercomes, and love it. We've found the range to be at least 2 miles and frequently more. One of the things we really like about it is it is portable and self-contained; i.e., the system does not have to be hooked up to the bike. The battery paks last us around 2 days of continuous usage (i.e., in use 8-10 hours each day) between charges. One of the nicest things about it for us is that we can easily switch the helmet components from a street helmet to a dirtbike helmet, so the system can be used on the street and offroad. Very clear reception, little or no static or interference and the voice activation feature is first rate. Works well with my cellphone and iPod. All in all, a great system for the money.

Lee in the Mountains of Northern California B)

We have a set of Collets as well with the passenger intercom. A buddy of mine just got the same setup and we were thinking of tuning them and looking for a way to do that without sending them away for programming. SHould be possible but will have to look that up for sure.

I like the system but my complaint is the wiring. The external connection is sometimes flakey and can come loose unless you really twist it in and that is hard with gloves and highway speeds. I don't use the system much as the speakers are not good for music. I just ordered the TORK Helmet Speakers - X1 and volume control and am looking forward to trying this out with the Collets.

The Collet 900 is in my opinion one of the best systems out there and I would reccommend them for rider/passenger and buddy coms.

Regards

Monelli,

Keep us updated on how the Tork speakers work out and any wiring connection issues. I agree, the Collett is the best bang for the buck out there, but the speakers do leave something to be desired regarding music reproduction. The factory has been promising a stereo unit for over a year now, but as recently as last week they said it's "still in development". :unsure:

Last edited:
I had the same complaint with the wiring connectors after my wife and I rode the 3 Flags in 2004. So I took them to the factory in Winnipeg when I was there on business last Summer. The people couldn't have been nicer and swapped my cords for their latest version which have a much more positive and easier twist to lock function. They also upgraded the logic in the radio with their latest mods - all free gratis! Excellent customer service IMO. We just use them for intercoms in the summer and sled to sled radios for snowmobiling in the Winter.

I had the same complaint with the wiring connectors after my wife and I rode the 3 Flags in 2004. So I took them to the factory in Winnipeg when I was there on business last Summer. The people couldn't have been nicer and swapped my cords for their latest version which have a much more positive and easier twist to lock function. They also upgraded the logic in the radio with their latest mods - all free gratis! Excellent customer service IMO. We just use them for intercoms in the summer and sled to sled radios for snowmobiling in the Winter.
I have been using the 900s for about 3 1/2 years. We also bought them for snowmobiling and we use them year round now. We had a problem with the mic on one of the units, which was fixed (3 year warranty). We have about 8 of them now, as the entire riding group wanted one.

Been using the Platinum 900 for about a year now. System works well and is easy to swap between helmets if you just tuck the wiring under the padding and have the velcro mount patches already in place. The system really isn't that great for music reproduction, but for voice its very good. Mine came with cords that didn't quite fit into the jack recepticles so I had to shave them down just a tad. I have never had a problem with the cords coming disconnected, very tight. The battery life amazed me, quite frankly. We never go more than a few hours per day, so I didn't have to recharge until after the third day... 8-10 hours I'm guessing? This is not the Cadillac system, but at $200 it's great for voice, functions well, and is very versatile. I have not tried to use it with a tranceiver for bike-to-bike, however.

In regard to the fittiment of the 900's to my new earphones it only confirms that I have failed to recognize there is a size difference betwenn the 900 headphones and my new Torks for connectors. Who would figure but I am sure the manufacturers have a good reason for it. Should I even look for an adapter and why should they be different?

The 900's stay in the box cause music is a higher priority right now and better for my ears. ANyone want to buy a full set? ha ha