Has anybody disabled the 'glovebox' lock???

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ELP_JC

Reaction score
It annoys me that the ignition has to be ON to be open. Guess Yamaha cheaped out on a lock, but I prefer to be open all the time, as I'll never use it to leave valuables. Plus it seems like it can be easily broken if pushed hard enough.

I hope to see what locks it when power is off when my panels get swapped by dealer, but if you guys know, it'd be nice to know in advance myself. It must be some kind of solenoid, obvously. Thanks.

JC

It annoys me that the ignition has to be ON to be open. Guess Yamaha cheaped out on a lock, but I prefer to be open all the time, as I'll never use it to leave valuables. Plus it seems like it can be easily broken if pushed hard enough.
I hope to see what locks it when power is off when my panels get swapped by dealer, but if you guys know, it'd be nice to know in advance myself. It must be some kind of solenoid, obvously. Thanks.

JC
When I wired my heated grips, I toyed with the idea of poping out the solonoid. It looks like you could remove the 2 screws, and pop out the locking solonoid. 2 philips head screws that you can get to with a shortie driver after popping off the 1 panel where the heated grip controler goes. The drawback would be that anyone could open your glovebox reguardless.

Mine came from the stealer with the glove box not being wired. I can open it at any time. I actually want to try and get it fixed, since this also means you can't ever leave anything in the box without having to worry about it being stolen.

I pulled my solonoid out this spring, Like it much better that way. It wasn't real secure for valuables anyway. 2 screws, after the panels removal.

Give it a good strong push, the plastic rod will bend and problem solved. Anybody that thinks this is a secure lock is dreaming.....

Pulled the solenoid and all the mounting hardware Sunday. Those pieces weigh quite a bit for their size. I'll do anything I can to lighten the load. ;)

Course, then added ballasts for lights. Probably went the wrong direction for weight in the long run. :rolleyes:

Jim

I always stored my cell phone in there but when my ignition switch failed on a trip down south last month, guess what, no power to get the phone out. :dribble: :angry: I think I'll disable the lock in the future, or find somewhere else for the phone.

Give it a good strong push, the plastic rod will bend and problem solved. Anybody that thinks this is a secure lock is dreaming.....
Exactly my point. Plus it's so shallow I only can put my cell phone (and hopefully wallet, but doubt it), which I'd take out when parked anyway, so don't need the (false) security that provides.

Thanks for the tips. Will take an offset and little screwdrivers to dealer to remove, as well as a couple of tie wraps. Thanks folks.

JC

My experience exactly. After adding a Blue Sea PDP I discovered my Glove box would open even though the key was off. Upon inspection I noticed the little nylon/plastic rod was bent. Must have been from my trying to open it when the key was off. At any rate the little solenoid is working fine and I can make the box "lock" by bending the "rod" straight. However by pushing hard it just bends over and I can open it anytime. I kinda like that. I think I'll take the selenoid out and have a "back-up" trigger for another relay.

LC

I always stored my cell phone in there but when my ignition switch failed on a trip down south last month, guess what, no power to get the phone out. :dribble: :angry: I think I'll disable the lock in the future, or find somewhere else for the phone.
Didn't it get too hot in there for a piece of electronic equipment?

It was a tin can and some string he carried in there, dude. Pretty heat resistant.

Didn't it get too hot in there for a piece of electronic equipment?
Naw, it's really not that hot in there, at least not on the 06'. I've had the same cell phone for the last 4 years (and 2 bikes-04 & 06)

Wow. I believe the term for that is "when it rains ... it pours." I be that made for an interesting day.