Power Commander module installation location

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuilderBob

Reaction score
I recently received my new PCIII and want to install it this weekend. The instructions show installing the module into the tool tray under the rider's seat. Unfortunately, that space is already claimed by my cruise servo and vacuum reservoir.

There is room in the tail section to accommodate the unit, but I'm unsure if the cable length is adequate for the non-standard location.

Anyone run into this before?

My Power Commander is installed in the tail of the bike. Cable tucked in nicely and can't be seen. Don't have photos and the bike is not with me at the moment but tonight I can shoot some pics if you like.

My Power Commander is installed in the tail of the bike. Cable tucked in nicely and can't be seen. Don't have photos and the bike is not with me at the moment but tonight I can shoot some pics if you like.
That would be great. Thanks!

Mine is under the tail, strapped down by the rubber strap for the u-lock we don't get in the states. No problem with cable length.

piccie:

PCIIIundertail.jpg

Mine is under the tail, strapped down by the rubber strap for the u-lock we don't get in the states. No problem with cable length.
That's what I'm talkin' about. On my Gen II bike, I'm not sure I have enough clearance under the seat to put the module there, although I know it will fit with no clearance issues if I move it further back. Cable length can then become an issue.

Placed mine here:Just enough cable & not in toolbox.
OMG! You're ready for anything there aren't you!?

That's just the first layer! The second layer (see below) has allen keys, combo screwdriver & stripped down air compressor!

ToolboxAreaLevelIII.jpg

It always pays to plan everything out first. I hate redoing things. In a few weeks I'll be adding a fuse box & auto com.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got 'er done.

There's more room under the pillion than I thought. The cable wasn't long enough to install the module as far back as I wanted, but it fits under the seat nicely and is very accessible.

Loaded the "stock airbox & stock exhaust" map. All I can say is different bike. Night and day. Hesitation is completely gone. Haven't really taken it out to fully explore the extent of all of the improvements, but if my little jaunt around the neighborhood is any indication, I'm in for a real treat.

My only regret is that I didn't have the sucker installed when I was at the Dragon last weekend. Would have been a different experience without the hesitation.

Ok...I gotta ask...especially since I just posted note about the abrupt throttle response and got many great responses back. So, I ask you all, I want to fix the abrupt throttle and am going to order a G2, but many of you also have a power commander as well. Does the power commander make an 2006 FJR much better? I love the bike except for the abrupt throttle response (the On/off jerk). Thanks. -Dan

Ok...I gotta ask...especially since I just posted note about the abrupt throttle response and got many great responses back. So, I ask you all, I want to fix the abrupt throttle and am going to order a G2, but many of you also have a power commander as well. Does the power commander make an 2006 FJR much better? I love the bike except for the abrupt throttle response (the On/off jerk). Thanks. -Dan
G2 and PCIII made my '06AE react normally to throttle twist. Start with the G2, if it isn't enough, the get a PCIII.

I don't have the G2. Just the PCIII. With the PCIII, the abrupt on/off throttle response is completely gone. I am very pleased with it.