• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Total Control Advanced Riding Clinic

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3dogs

Reaction score
[SIZE=24pt][/SIZE]

This Could Be You!

FJRCronerlores3.jpg

[SIZE=12pt]Cheif instructor Bret Tkacs of Puget Sound Safetyhttps://www.pugetsoundsafety.com/ demonistrates correct body position for cornering. Approximate speed in this photo, 28 mph, diameter of circle 40 feet.[/SIZE]

It’s time to think about the 2010 riding season here on the East Coast. The [SIZE=14pt]Total Control Advanced Riding Clinic[/SIZE] will be in its sixth year in [SIZE=12pt]Frederick Maryland[/SIZE] and fourth year in [SIZE=12pt]Columbia Maryland[/SIZE]. Many of you took the class last year and it was always fun teaching students that ride an FJR 1300. This year I am expecting much fuller classes as there has been lots of interest especially at the D.C. motorcycle show.

[SIZE=14pt]Total Control Advanced Riding Clinic[/SIZE]

I am offering a group discount for forum members. The discount is as follows:

• 6 to 11 students will receive $25 off the class price of $325. If 12 students all sign up at one time the discount is $50 per student.
The discount applies when members sign up for a specific class date as a group.
[SIZE=12pt]Pricing[/SIZE] The cost of the class is $325 at both locations.

The full amount for the class ($325 per student) must be paid to the college. After the class is over I will mail one check for the discount amount to whomever the group designates. Money should be colleted by one group member and a personnel check, or money order for the entire amount should be made out to the college where you want to take the class and sent to my address (send me an email for address). Please contact me for more details regarding the group discount.

If you have any questions about what is taught in the class or about registration please visit the Total Control website, email me at [email protected] or call me at 410-905-1918. Class discounts for other training sites may be different.

Class Schedule is on the Total Control website. Hope to see many of you this riding season. Tracy Martin...

NavAirClassPhoto3.jpg

[SIZE=14pt]Total Control Advanced Riding Clinic at Pt. Mugu CA, September [/SIZE]

2006. Kneeling in front are Tracy Martin (left) and Lee Parks,

instructors. LT Doug Crane (third in from right) flys this F18 Hornet.

He is also the only student riding a cruiser--go figure? Sorry, No FJR's in this class.

Last edited by a moderator:
I took this course last Jun and it's well worth the time, money, and effort. In fact, I think there were 4 or 5 FJRs.

Gosh, I wish, I wish, I WISH I had the money to take this class. Yet again my dust bunny pocketbook wins out. So Jim, can you corner like this guy now?

I'll do it. Can't have enough skills.

Question -- Do the FJRForum riders have to attend the same day to recieve the discount?

The April date would be my choice.

Tracy puts on a great class. :thumbsup: I took it twice last year, once on my 600 and again on my FZ1. I may have to stop down again this year and practice my photo skills.

For the group discount you would only have to pay as a group (and receive one check from me for the discount). Each "group" member could take the class on a different date. Tracy...

Hello Everyone!

This past weekend I completed the Total Control Clinic in Frederick MD. It was an excellent class and I met a lot of great people. When I pulled into the parking lot I was happy to see a beautiful shiny (ok not so shiny) FJR. It was Tracy Martin’s, who was our instructor for the day and a member of this forum. I was unaware of this topic on the board so I thought I would post here and give my opinion of the class.

It’s a long day on your motorcycle but it’s well worth the time and money. The class focuses primarily on cornering and getting used to the correct form using specific exercises. It’s a good mix between classroom time and practicing the drills. The coaching is excellent as they take the time to speak to you one on one after each drill. You go at your own pace, they are only concerned about you improving your skills. The instructors weren’t in a hurry, and you could tell they loved teaching the class. Even at the end of the day after the suspension section, they stuck around and helped others with their suspension and/or riding questions.

All in all the class was a very good use of my time. I can’t wait to get out and practice some more of these skills this week!! If anyone has any questions about the class feel free to PM me.

-Drew

practice the next day... :)

fjrcorner1.jpg

Just ordered the Take Control book. Hopefully there'll be a class coming up in the So Cal area soon.

Hope to see all of you that took the Total Control class last year at the Practice Day in Frederick Maryland. Tracy Martin...

I want to add to this thread. I decided that I wanted to get involved with track riding(a safer environment for sport bikes!!) because I had never ridden a sport bike on a closed circuit racetrack. Well, I enrolled in the FastTrack Riders group and went through the novice school in January 2008 on my 2005 Yamaha YZF R1. It was a great learning experience for ultra fast riding on a 21 turn 2.3 miles AMA course.

I found out after taking the classroom and track instruction and critiques from the instructor that those track skill meshed very very appropriately with riding my 2006 AE and my other bikes.

For those thinking about improving their skills, I would strongly suggest taking a course of instruction at any of the recognized riding schools or track riding instruction groups.

I believe that even at my VINTAGE age, I still have many things to learn to improve my riding safety and skills.

My 2 cents worth on this thread!!

Bump for 2010 Riding Season. Total Control will be at the D.C. Motorcycle Show. Stop by and say HI.

Tracy Martin

Lee Parks

If anyone is thinking about going to this class, stop thinking and just do it! You won't regret it! I took the class in Maryville, TN with Wayne and I can now corner like that guy in the pic. :yahoo: If you look back at my intro you will see that I have only been riding for a little over 2 yrs total. I am hoping to take the instructors course this season. Don't THINK you know how to ride, KNOW it and take this class!!!!

I am registered for Total Control in Lansing, Michigan on May 1. I met Lee Parks at the Detroit Motorcycle show on Jan 1 this year and I was impressed. Looking forward to attending. I am also scheduled for 2 days of FAST Riding school in the middle of May (Shannonville Motosport Track in Ontario) which is basically track training. Lee indicated the Total Control would teach some excellent riding skills to apply at the track but are equally important for every day riding. Even though I have been riding for 27 years, I am sure I will learn some valuable skills and unlearn some bad habits!