AE clutch

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What would it take in terms of parts and cost to retrofit an AE with the standard clutch set up? Just curious.
It's a pretty easy process. You take the side cases off your AE and carefuly suspend them from wires in your garage, take a second bike with a standard clutch without side cases, and carefully attach it to your AE's sidebags. Voila! Instantly converted bike.

....I would think if you're genuinely interested in converting one and not just bored on a Saturday evening you'd be many dollars saved, many hours ahead, and many headaches avoided trading it in or selling it and gettin a standard model.

Last edited by a moderator:
What would it take in terms of parts and cost to retrofit an AE with the standard clutch set up? Just curious.
It is entirely possible that the AE has a different computer or program because the clutch is all computer controlled. The wiring harness is likely not compatible. So changing the "hard parts" would not be the only issue (Though it might be nice to retain the AE's shift sequence). You'll want to do some research with a knowledgeable dealer/service department.

I concur with Ignacio's assessment, IOW, look into changing bikes.

Major project.

The computer for the AE is housed separately, but I suspect that there are major differences (the wiring harness - it IS different - comes immediately to mind) and you are looking at lots of moolah for the bits you'll need. There's the left pod, the clutch assembly and the actuator and plumbing between them to start. Then there's the foor actuator.

There's the fact that your warranty will be toast.

Not sure what your losses would be, BUT maybe rather than trading for new, you might be able to swap bikes with an AE wannabe - even at a straight swap you'd be ahead because you will not have had to pay out for the change. If you could end up with a few shekels in the trade (consider the difference less some percentage) and if the machine you trade for is of similar quality/condition/mileage, there would be 2 happy riders, rather than one unhappy, poorer one.

I've given it some thought -- doubt that I'd do it, but I don't think it's really that hard to convert.

First -- You'd need to remove the shift actuator assembly, and order a replacement toe shifter and linkage. The servo assembly may be able to be left in place.

Then order a clutch assembly and reservoir -- and plumb it to the clutch (the banjo bolt has a different orientation -- so it may require a custom hose -- but i think it'd be ok with just a A model hose.

Lastly -- pop the fuse on the YCCS box -- done.

I've given it some thought -- doubt that I'd do it, but I don't think it's really that hard to convert.
First -- You'd need to remove the shift actuator assembly, and order a replacement toe shifter and linkage. The servo assembly may be able to be left in place.

Then order a clutch assembly and reservoir -- and plumb it to the clutch (the banjo bolt has a different orientation -- so it may require a custom hose -- but i think it'd be ok with just a A model hose.

Lastly -- pop the fuse on the YCCS box -- done.
I think you are rght. It is doable and not as extensive or expensive as some think. I'd leave as much in place as possible. The ECU would be delivering clutch signals to nothing, but so what? I think there would be minimal wiring issues. I'm just wondering out load and probably won't do it, but it's interesting to see if it could be converted back and forth for whatever reason. On the other hand, converting the standard A model to an AE would indeed be much more involved and expensive.

A couple of us were talking about something similar today at work. Concensus was we'd like to see an AE with a priority hand clutch added that still allows conventional AE functionality when not used.

Figured it would give the best of both worlds and allow Yamaha to produce just one model, granted it would be full time shift-by-wire.