Givi V46 Install

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brazos parker

What??
Reaction score
Finally got around to installing the Givi this weekend. First, I must say that the Givi install instructions SUCK!

After I installed the mounting rack and base plate, I had a little black thingy left over. The install sheet shows it to be item #14, an "anti-theft cap." Nowhere in the pics does it show where this thing goes. Anyone know?

Also, FYI, the install took about 1 hour, including the 30 minutes I spent trying to fish the spacer I dropped out from the inards of the FJR.

The 'anti-theft' cap goes under the box, in the mounting plate where the orange latch mechanism is visible before the cap is in place. On mine, the adapter plate covers the latch hole making an easy theft impossible. The cap wouldn't be hard to pop out and then the latch could be opened with a screwdriver. I'd recommend gluing it in place if you are concerned about your top box walking off.

Some pics to help (hopefully)...

givi1.jpg

givi2.jpg

TC & GunMD,
Thanx for the info and the pics...I'll go look now that I know where it goes. 

Did I say the Givi instructions suck?
Yes, the Givi instructions, not just for the case, but any other accessory, absolutely suck. I have no idea how they manage to make picture-instructions so hard to understand.

btw: Anyone have any extra SD Universal-light bar / Givi rack brackets like GunMD shows? I'm needing some now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I made mine in my garage...just a piece of flat bar type aluminum and some hardware store "L" brackets. I cut the alum using a Dremel tool w/ a cutoff wheel, and had to tweak the "L" brackets a bit. I should have put more time and effort into mine, as it's not perfectly symmetrical. I suppose I'm the only one who notices.

I stopped after installing the Givi rack, mounting plate and color matched lid. The thought of reading Givi's instructions for the accessory brake light kit was just to scary for me. I'll probably save that install for Halloween or April Fool's Day.

I have to concur on the shitpoor Givi documentation.

I spent two hours on it, 1.5 of which were trying to decipher the idiotic picture puzzle. I also did the brake light kit, which was even worse, as the "instructions" stop once the trunk wiring is complete. :dribble: You then have to drill out the mounting plate (remove it first, don't ask me why I mention this) and feed the wire through the mounting bracket and splice it into a brake light. Woodstock pointed out that a wire tester is ideal to identify the correct wire to splice into.

The president of Givi USA needs a swift kick in the nuts. :assasin:

One more Givi V46 thing to tell everyone....

Last week before a trip with my wife, I purchased the Givi bag that goes with the V-46. It cost me appx $25 but it is sure nice to open up the V46 and just pull out the soft luggage just like in the FJR's saddlebags and bring all the stuff into a hotel room during a trip. It sure beats using garbage bags, plus looks better and then what fits in the bag, will fit in the topbox also.

ZZZZZ