HID Ballast

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssfd110

Reaction score
Has anyone mounted HID Ballast on an 06 FJR yet? I'm having trouble finding a suitable area. Seems Yamaha has used up every little inch of space.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

You might try some 3M Auto adhesive tape, to the inside of the cowling plastic if there's room.

You might try some 3M Auto adhesive tape, to the inside of the cowling plastic if there's room.
I just finished installing a pair of Low-Beam Only HIDs in IronMaiden's 2006 FJR just last weekend. Haven't had time to writeup a FJRTech article yet.

For 2006, Yamaha has really devastated the available farkle room in the nose cowling, compared to previous model years. It was a bitch, actually. :( Gone are the heady days where we could "stack" HID ballasts above the headlamp and below the windscreen motor as I did with the PHID ballast in 2004.

One ballast I was able to place behind the battery case... an *extremely* tight fit! :(

Here is IronMaiden providing some light as I wrestle with a connector:

100_0139.jpg

Right HID Ballast placement:

100_0147.jpg

100_0148.jpg

Like I say, fellas, it's a tight fit; I had to grind away at some plastic tabs on the outside of the battery box to prevent the cowling seam from "bulging out" when reassembling the bodywork:

100_0141.jpg

A shot of the right headlight boot with the HID lamp installed:

100_0146.jpg

The ballast for the left-side proved a lot harder to fit. We ended up sacrificing her glove box and placed both the ballast and ignitor in there. Fortunately, removing that stupid-ass cigarette lighter in the glove box provided a very conveniate opening to pass all cabling through, so she actually had a tiny bit of room to use in her glove box if she desires.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks again, WC for all you've done to help get my bike set up. I took my bike out later that night to see the fruit of the day's farkle session. I am SOOO happy! NOw, if I had just got in on that PHID group buy, dang! I guess I won't be able to leave Tobie in the dust in the Cal=24; I'll need his high beams through the night!

L

Wow, cool concept. Farkle and get a tan at the same time! Also a good plan for when it's cold outside.

Thanks again, WC for all you've done to help get my bike set up. I took my bike out later that night to see the fruit of the day's farkle session. I am SOOO happy! NOw, if I had just got in on that PHID group buy, dang! I guess I won't be able to leave Tobie in the dust in the Cal=24; I'll need his high beams through the night!
L
nah --- you can leave Tobie in the dust... he just might catch up when it gets dark. Remember... you can leave him when the sun comes up.

See you in Dunnigan.

Thanks for your replies. I have PHID's that I'm transfering to this bike and I also picked up a set of the HID low beams. I'm trying to get the PHID's mounted first. I found a place under the tanks near the front and on top of the engine insulation. I know see that these must not need much airflow (mounted in glove box) I'm not sure how hot it gets in there.

Mike

I found a place under the tanks near the front and on top of the engine insulation. I know see that these must not need much airflow (mounted in glove box) I'm not sure how hot it gets in there.
It's gets pretty warm in the glove box, but no where near as hot as the engine bay itself. I personally would avoid that area altogether for ballast placement, engine insulation or no. Neither would I try to attach them to the frame in any way. This region gets BRUTALLY hot.... I really can't recommend you put these electronics there.

The PHID ballasts I would place under your seat or even all the way aft under the pillion seat. You can do this because the ignitors are separate copmponents, built directly in back of the PHID lamp. The length of the wire harness between the PHID ballast and lamp can easily be lengthen a couple of feet without any adverse affect.

Now, if I felt like cutting into the Low-Beam Only HID setup, I could have put those ballasts back there as well. But the Low-Beam Only setup is all hardwired together, and I am loathe to slice into it... :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Extended the PHID's yesterday. I mounted them under the pillion. Test fire was positive :)

I'm still trying to figure out how you fit the McCullough Ballast next to the battery :angry2:

Thanks again for your words of wisdom Dale.

Mike