I'm Really Glad I Got All The Buzz Out Of My 2006 Mirrors

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ari Rankum

NAFO Karting Champion, 2012
Reaction score
So I was cruising home from work last night in the second lane, coming up on a car in the third lane. You ever notice how sometimes cars make lane changes for what just have to be random reasons? So, this cager has no one in front of her, no impending mixing bowl coming up, no one moving into her lane from the right, but the left blinker comes on anyway at just the wrong time. At about the perfect time to take me out, over she comes. I'm on the Blasters and I have my exit to stage left ready to go. She slows her assault on my lane, checks me out briefly in the sideview, then s-l-o-o-o-o-w-l-y moves back to her lane. I figure her old man is a rider. As I go by, she's already turned to her beau and is screaming back at him. As I watch them recede in the perfectly flat and smooth image in my right mirror, there is a knock-down-drag-out screaming match going on between the two in that cage. Yep, that dude must ride.

I wouldn't have wanted to miss that.

Hmmm. I must have missed a few threads. How did you get the buzz out of your mirrors?

Hmmm. I must have missed a few threads. How did you get the buzz out of your mirrors?
Well, first I disassembled the dash to make sure the bolts were tight, since the dealer is responsible for installing them and they screwed up putting the dash back together properly. Miraculously, the bolts were tight. So then I played with the mirrors a bit and rode a bit and played and rode and played and rode. I noticed that the mirrors are on a swivel inside the painted shell. I adjusted the mirrors to my liking and then rotated each one in the same plane they were in when adjusted. I rotated the right mirror clockwise as far as it would rotate, until the mirror made contact with the shell. I rotated the left mirror counter clockwise as far as it would go. This caused the mirror's mass to be coupled with the shell's mass. This was enough to dampen the vibration to nothing. Now, both mirrors are crystal clear at speed.

Thanks Ari.

I'll try that. Mine have a tiny bit of buzz, but are so superior to my last bike, (totaly unusable above 45) I never thought about it.

Nope, it wasn't a Hardley. :D

Thanks Ari.
I'll try that. Mine have a tiny bit of buzz, but are so superior to my last bike, (totaly unusable above 45) I never thought about it.

Nope, it wasn't a Hardley. :D
I had thought about using lead putty on the back of the mirrors (inside the mirror body, not smeared on the front of the mirror) to reduce vibration on a VF500F I had way back when. I'm mulling the same for the FJR, though I'll do the Datel mod at the same time.

Hmmmmmm.

Bob

Huntington Beach, CA

I adjusted the mirrors to my liking and then rotated each one in the same plane they were in when adjusted. I rotated the right mirror clockwise as far as it would rotate, until the mirror made contact with the shell. I rotated the left mirror counter clockwise as far as it would go. This caused the mirror's mass to be coupled with the shell's mass. This was enough to dampen the vibration to nothing. Now, both mirrors are crystal clear at speed.
Pics of what they look like now?

I adjusted the mirrors to my liking and then rotated each one in the same plane they were in when adjusted. I rotated the right mirror clockwise as far as it would rotate, until the mirror made contact with the shell. I rotated the left mirror counter clockwise as far as it would go. This caused the mirror's mass to be coupled with the shell's mass. This was enough to dampen the vibration to nothing. Now, both mirrors are crystal clear at speed.
Pics of what they look like now?
I've tried this but perhaps not enough twist of the mirror yet. My right mirror is really pissing me off as it's the only real problem the bike has.

I had thought about using lead putty on the back of the mirrors (inside the mirror body, not smeared on the front of the mirror) Bob

Huntington Beach, CA

Is that like using chewing gum to stop your ears popping on a plane?...........it works great but its hell to get out. :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
... I noticed that the mirrors are on a swivel inside the painted shell. I adjusted the mirrors to my liking and then rotated each one in the same plane they were in when adjusted. I rotated the right mirror clockwise as far as it would rotate, until the mirror made contact with the shell. I rotated the left mirror counter clockwise as far as it would go. This caused the mirror's mass to be coupled with the shell's mass. This was enough to dampen the vibration to nothing. Now, both mirrors are crystal clear at speed.
Has this worked for folks?

My '04 was crystal clear, my '08 both fuzzy above about 50 mph. Unfortunately, mine appear already rotated as far as they can go. I'll check torque as well.

... I noticed that the mirrors are on a swivel inside the painted shell. I adjusted the mirrors to my liking and then rotated each one in the same plane they were in when adjusted. I rotated the right mirror clockwise as far as it would rotate, until the mirror made contact with the shell. I rotated the left mirror counter clockwise as far as it would go. This caused the mirror's mass to be coupled with the shell's mass. This was enough to dampen the vibration to nothing. Now, both mirrors are crystal clear at speed.
Has this worked for folks?

My '04 was crystal clear, my '08 both fuzzy above about 50 mph. Unfortunately, mine appear already rotated as far as they can go. I'll check torque as well.
These fixes have not helped me (tried plumbers tape too). Above about 3K rpms & fuzz. My '04 mirrors were crystal clear at all speeds, so this is one of the few areas Yamaha went backwards. Thinking about going back to GenI or FZ-1 mirrors, but another $120, maybe not.

These fixes have not helped me (tried plumbers tape too). Above about 3K rpms & fuzz. My '04 mirrors were crystal clear at all speeds, so this is one of the few areas Yamaha went backwards. Thinking about going back to GenI or FZ-1 mirrors, but another $120, maybe not.
The FZ1 mirrors do work much better for clarity (and of course seeing more behind you). You can get them from Zanottimotor.com for about $85 delivered.