Shoei Pin-lock Antifog System

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimV

Reaction score
All,

I just got back from Germany where, among other things, I bought a Shoei Pin-Lock (CX-1V) for my RF-1000 helmet. Coincidentally, they reviewed this unit in this month's Cycleworld.

Basically its just a visor with a couple of holes drilled in it with mounting pins attached to the holes. You buy an insert with a silicone gasket around one side and attach it to the pins to form a small pocket of air between the visor and the insert to prevent fogging.

I used it for the first time today in the Seattle area and it works great. The one thing that I really didn't like about the RF-1000 is the fogging (and it was the same with the Arai Quantum/f that I had before). Problem solved.

Cheers,

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool deal. Anybody know where to get some?

I've been dreading the cold, wet just for the fog factor alone. Now I can ride free!!!

They have done them for a while now

I have ridden 3 winters with mine its great and the only thing that has ever continuously worked for me

You can also buy a kit to do it to your own visor as long as you drill the holes in the right place :D

As an alternitive, may I suggest 'FOG CITY' inserts?

Same idea, a cheap thermopane.

This unit has its own adheshive and sticks to the inside of the shield.

"Peel and press', done. Retails for $12.95 and Ive seen them on sale too

They even make them for those odd shaped Arai visors, and yes their

available for the RF-1000

As an alternitive, may I suggest 'FOG CITY' inserts?Same idea, a cheap thermopane.
Ha! Shows what you know. Pinlock is an EXPENSIVE thermopane, not a cheap one. :D

It does however work great and comes standard on some Shoei helmets sold in Germany. I don't know what to say about supply though. I talked to my dealer's parts guy who didn't seem too interested since they already carry the Fog City stuff.

FWIW, I love my Pin-Lock visor.

Cheers,

Jim

I've tried half a dozen liquid for prevention/cleaners. Some work better than others but none are really good enough for me to buy a second tine. To dat the Fog City insert is the best solution I've encountered. However i'm looking foreward to trying a pin-loc too

My Nolan SuperFlip came with it, and it does indeedy work. But with glasses, the windshield, the visor, and the pinlock, you couldn't get to my eyeballs with a Martian Death Ray, ditto trying to see through all this crap. I have found with my open face, vision is oh so clear. Cold, but clear... :D

I've tried half a dozen liquid for prevention/cleaners. Some work better than others but none are really good enough for me to buy a second tine. To dat the Fog City insert is the best solution I've encountered. However i'm looking foreward to trying a pin-loc too
Where are you buying the Fog City inserts, Tim?