Adjust Throttle Cable

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keithaba

Reaction score
Just to throw this out there, I don't even know if that is what caused it, but when I adjusted my throttle cable to take out some slack, my PCIII showed that at idle the bike was not ranging between 3-5% throttle. It was at 0% before that adjustment so I am assuming thats what caused it.

Anyway, if you adjust your throttle cable, hook your pc up to to your pcIII and check if you need to reset the values.

Going to try out the Wally Smoothness map as soon as I get time to ride. (Inlaws in town right now, just tinkering until it's time).

Just to throw this out there, I don't even know if that is what caused it, but when I adjusted my throttle cable to take out some slack, my PCIII showed that at idle the bike was not ranging between 3-5% throttle. It was at 0% before that adjustment so I am assuming thats what caused it.
Anyway, if you adjust your throttle cable, hook your pc up to to your pcIII and check if you need to reset the values.

Going to try out the Wally Smoothness map as soon as I get time to ride. (Inlaws in town right now, just tinkering until it's time).
you riding again already?

One should reset the PCIII idle (actually, the full range) parameters anytime an adjustment is made to idle speed, a TBS, or cable adjustment. It's an important signal for the map to work properly.

Who needs saddle bags, fiarings, or a windsheild??? :rolleyes: At least I have no heat issues...

Rad: It makes perfect sense, I just never really thought about it. That's why I figured I'd post! Maybe save some other poor sap some herky jerky throttle for a while. If you don't have a PCIII, then what happens?

Who needs saddle bags, fiarings, or a windsheild??? :rolleyes: At least I have no heat issues...
could we get some pictures of the mad max FJR? :rolleyes:

Going to try out the Wally Smoothness map as soon as I get time to ride.
When you run that Wally map, pay attention to your top end. It really drained some of the oomph from my '05 up there. Very noticeable. I ran with the stock PCIII map tonight and it was much better top end and still fairly smooth in the 4100-5000 range. Try 'em both.

One should reset the PCIII idle (actually, the full range) parameters anytime an adjustment is made to idle speed, a TBS, or cable adjustment. It's an important signal for the map to work properly.
Exactly how does one go about doing that? I looked at the pciii idle settings and couldn't make any sense of it.

thanks!

could we get some pictures of the mad max FJR? :rolleyes:
If you want completely naked FJR pictures, I took some earlier this year when I had mine stripped down.

https://gellenbeck.com/direct/nakedfjr/

I with temp357 - how? I just installed the PCIII w/o and haven't done anything to it other than make sure the map I wanted is installed; runs great. But, if there is a way to fiddle with a perfectly running bike and screw it up, I'm all in!! But seriously folks, I haven't found the PC instructions to be overly friendly and if anyone wanted to describe the idle setting procedure I'd buy 'em a beer. And what the heck, if you can describe what all else one can do besides install and run maps, I'll buy you two beers!

I with temp357 - how? I just installed the PCIII w/o and haven't done anything to it other than make sure the map I wanted is installed; runs great. But, if there is a way to fiddle with a perfectly running bike and screw it up, I'm all in!! But seriously folks, I haven't found the PC instructions to be overly friendly and if anyone wanted to describe the idle setting procedure I'd buy 'em a beer. And what the heck, if you can describe what all else one can do besides install and run maps, I'll buy you two beers!
The site is messed up right now. I'll get you a link in a few minutes

The site is messed up right now. I'll get you a link in a few minutes
Edit. If the sight goes back up I'll link it.

Basically: Start up the bike, let it heat all the way up until the radiator comes on.

Plug in your PCIII to your computer with the power commander software running.

Adjust your idle speed idle adjuster on the bike to make sure it's around 1000-1100.

Click Tools

Click Set throttle position (it's something like that. should be the second option in tools)

It comes up with a little window with 3 numbers.

Click the Arrow that is closest to the left number.

Click Reset

Blip the throttle as fast as you can from idle to full and let go. Takes a little practice, but you should only get the rpm up to like 3000. Do it FAST.

Hit o.k. If you didn't blip the throttle right, it will tell you "The numbers are out of the reccomended paramaters." Do it over again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kieth - thanks for taking the time to reply, I appreciate it. Now, I can be a pain because I like to understand the "why" as well as the "how." So, I'm setting the idle mechanically via the idle adjustment knob (mine is actually set just fine) - what exaclty does this procudeure do? I mean, the bike runs just fine and I haven't done it, so why do it? I'm not trying to give you a hard time, just trying to understand the technical part. To be honest, I thought that this was going to be setting the idle speed thru the PC vice via the adj knob.

Thanks again!

The left arrow sets closed throttle only-to lock in the entire range of travel, click reset-then twist throttle from closed to WFO then closed again. Click OK. Now, click the "reset" on the left, make sure the 2 idle numbers (center and left) match up, then click ok again. One trick is to have the 9 volt plugged into the PC, turn the bikes kill switch to "off", then you can key on and set the throttle without the bike running, or the fuel pump pressurizing the rail. This way the bike doesn't have to be running to set throttle position as Dynojet suggests. You can watch the full range of input on the computer screen for any blips, just like checking the TPS via the diagnosis onboard screen.

One trick is to have the 9 volt plugged into the PC, turn the bikes kill switch to "off", then you can key on and set the throttle without the bike running, or the fuel pump pressurizing the rail. This way the bike doesn't have to be running to set throttle position as Dynojet suggests. You can watch the full range of input on the computer screen for any blips, just like checking the TPS via the diagnosis onboard screen.
Does this make it a little more accurrate?
Jim: Your PCIII is adjusting FI according to how many RPMS your at, and how far you twist the throttle. If it is off, then the whole thing is set slightly off. It's like calibrating something with a tool that is innaccurate. OR Imagine graphing something without starting at 0 on the X-axis.

Going to try out the Wally Smoothness map as soon as I get time to ride.
When you run that Wally map, pay attention to your top end. It really drained some of the oomph from my '05 up there. Very noticeable. I ran with the stock PCIII map tonight and it was much better top end and still fairly smooth in the 4100-5000 range. Try 'em both.
I think someone combined the two using the low range of the Wally map and the higher range of the stock map. I can't find it though, I tried to search.