Report on the Russell Seat - 2004 FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyway

Reaction score
I recently made the trip up to Reading to get my first Russel seat. In hindsight it should have been the very first thing I ever did to this bike.

The trip all started on a Thursday afternoon. Around 7.00pm I made it to the Bluestreek's residence and we headed off for dinner. Had a nice visit, then took the advice of Fairlainer to stop in Reading for the evening as there 'aint a whole lot near the destination.

I arrived at around 11.00pm ish and stayed in the room next door to the lobby which was also robbed at around 1.30am, to my surprise in the am before departure. :blink:

Anyway I split that joint with the intent of never returning and made my way for my 8.00am appointment.

Photo's were taken with me sitting in my usual riding position, and off went JJ to fabricate my new seat. After about 2-1/2 hours I came back and they were ready for a fit check. All felt pretty good, but I wanted to do a short ride to feel it out while underway. This proved to be very fruitful, as I found myself sitting forward of the pocket of the seat they had created to get comfortable in my riding position. I found myself always trying to move back into the sweet spot. Not good at all for long term ergonomics.

So back I went, we talked about what I experienced and the seat was removed for a minor adjustment. 10 minutes later I was back on the bike for another 15 mile loop. BTW if anyone is ever in the Reading area, take the Shasta Dam blvd exit off I-5 and ride west for around 7 miles and go check out the views, fantastic.

Now the pocket was right where it felt good to me. When I returned I mentioned that the wings on the outer edges of the seat were raised to a point where the pocket of the seat was not even all the way around. JJ pointed out that this is exactly how they want it to feel, as the cover will lower them slightly once sewn in place and after some miles will break down slightly.

So the cover was sewn from scratch and off I rode home. Not too bad for the journey home, which was a stark contrast to ride up there on the torture device known as the stock seat. Around 320 miles each way. I pulled into my garage and felt that it was at the very least worth the effort to get it.

I thought I was relatively happy with this seat until this past week. I had to make a trip the Bay Area for a client. The traffic was all messed up in the am, so I decided to ride and have the luxury of lane splitting to save huge amounts of time.

My impression of this seat now is that I don't think a seat can be made any better for long term comfort. I am dumbfounded at the comfort level it has afforded me and unless something better comes along in the future, the Russell Daylong seat will be my first choice from here on out. Unbelievable.

The only thing I will note is that if you cannot do a ride in, make a concerted effort to take exact measurements of your normal riding position to ensure that the pocket of the seat is where you want it. Do this and you'll be very happy of the outcome. I was also advised by them to not lower or raise the seating position, as this can mess up a riders whole ergonomics in relation to the handlebars and overall reach.

Maybe you WFO guys can somehow talk them into attending in Park City, because there would be a lot of folks who could benefit from their expertise in seat making. 10 out of 10 in satisfaction. This farkle has been the best comfort feature I have ever invested in.

Last edited by a moderator:
After enduring a lot of pain and not being able to decide where to take my seat to have it redone,

wifey and I decided to get a ride in at Russell.

At first I wasn't to happy with the seat and was thinking about turning around and taking it back.

By the time I got home two hours later and realized I was not in any pain Wife and I just wondered out loud why the heck we didn't have the seat done a year sooner.

18000 miles later and the seat just gets better and better with every mile.

If I had it to do over again, the seat would be the first thing I would do to the bike.

While I was waiting for my seat to be finished I was talking to the owner and told him about the WFO in Reno and he was very interested in doing something. I passed the info along to the WFO staff.

I don't know if anyone got in contact with them or not.

I've told you so....... :rolleyes:

Skyway, I'm glad you finally got yours done. :clapping: Now the rallyists will really have to watch for you and your newfound endurance!

I remembered reading some comments from Bounce about how he tried every other seat & did the Russell last. Thanks to him I did the Russell first & I'm glad I did.

I have had four custom seats, Rick Mayer, Corbin and the Russell on the FJR and a Bill Mayer Saddle on the Strom. The Russell IMHO is the most comfortable but the Mayer on the Strom is a close second and fits the look of the Strom better.

Its true that there isn't much in Shasta City but Redding is huge for that area. All seats but the Mayer were ride ins. The BMS is feeling great on the Strom though.

I've told you so....... :rolleyes:
Skyway, I'm glad you finally got yours done. :clapping:
Had it not been for the fuel cell kit and a need for a front seat, I would have never gone this route. Sure glad I did now.
Of course, now you'll have to pay for "The Boss" to have her throne improved. :D Or are we just not going to tell her how great this seat is and use the Corbin when riding 2-up? :unsure:

I recently made the trip up to Reading to get my first Russel seat. In hindsight it should have been the very first thing I ever did to this bike.
yep. some folks may think i'm a one note nag when it comes to recommending Russell. there's a reason.

The Russell farkle was clearly the best money I've spent on the FJR! Especially sweet since it also made the wife very happy!

I had the BMS done in a ride in three weeks ago. It made a world of difference. I ride for a couple of hours and never give that part pf my anatomy any thought which is 100% the opposite riding on the stock seat. I will be doing a CA to Alaska so we'll see how that goes but I don't forsee this as an issue anymore.

The answer may be available somewhere but I can't find it....

How is the Russell for short legged guys like me? If it's wide or high I can't even think of getting one.

dobias :glare:

The answer may be available somewhere but I can't find it....How is the Russell for short legged guys like me? If it's wide or high I can't even think of getting one.

dobias :glare:
I'm one of those slightly less than a 30 inch inseam and find that the Russell works for me. I'm able to mostly flat foot at a stop.

Jim

I love my Russel. Like many others, I probably spent more than the cost of a Russel not wanting to spend that kind of money on a seat before I went the Russel route. I now couldn't imagine having any other seat on my LD bikes.

I also did a ride in appointment, but for me it consisted of approximate 900 miles each way. I road up and stayed in Anderson, and road the last 20 or so miles into Shasta Lake the following morning. After I got my seat done, I wasn't sure this was a great purchase. I stayed at the Skyway compound the night after my ride in, and did a little group ride with his homeboyz the following day before heading home. By the time I got home I was still sitting there scratching my head wondering if this was a good buy when I realized my butt wasn't screaming at me.

I definitely give Russel two thumbs up! :good: :good:

Latest posts