MD Biker Indicted for Taping Traffic Stop

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJR Flyer

DC Commuter Commando
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
MD has an archaic anti-wire tapping law that was applied to a guy with a helmet cam that taped the cop during a traffic stop.

Ah...also, the guy admitted to speeding and doing wheelies on I-95.

New twist on helmet and bike cams.

Story & Video

MD has an archaic anti-wire tapping law that was applied to a guy with a helmet cam that taped the cop during a traffic stop.
Ah...also, the guy admitted to speeding and doing wheelies on I-95.

New twist on helmet and bike cams.

Story & Video
Don't know about Maryland. in Illiniois you can video tape all you want, but no audio without consent.

Of course we are not seeing the whole thing, but I don't see anything at all visually identifying the trooper or his vehicle as law enforcement. From what little we can see, that trooper is lucky he is not in Arizona as he could have easily been shot. Dude identified himself as police *after* pulling his gun. How was idiot wheelie-boy to know it was a cop and not some crazy road-rage bastard?

And cripes, what an archaic wire-tapping law. Expectation of privacy for police?

So, does that also apply to the LEO not being allowed to record a traffic stop? A lot of jurisdictions across the country have video cameras in their cruisers to record stops. I suspect it is for liability as well as evidence.

The guy on the bike was still trying to flee.you can see from the video he was backing away from the cop.
He probably had no idea he was a cop. Probably thought he was just some crazed road rage motorist. That was my point above.
Agreed. Cop lucky he wasn't shot. Even in Kali. Come at me with a gun and no badge? That kicks in primordial instinct.

Dang, went by there just last night on the KLR.

The short video misses something really important. There's a bigger 3:39 video of the ride and the officer seen in the short video just happened to be the car that pulled in front. There were TWO cars pulling over the bike. The second was a well marked troopermobile that followed him down the offramp and was behind him with lights flashing when the guy gets out of the gray car.

The rider'd been pretty stupid (as in reckless op), especially for how closely 95 is patrolled in MD. The video shows him slaloming between lanes, speeding conspicuously past cars, wheelying next to a bus, etc, till he came to a marked trooper in the median and cooled it. This clearly wasn't a feel-good one time wheelie or speeding to just move along the highway. The trooper in the median is most likely the one behind the bike at the stop.

Here's something else missing: For the biker to have changed course and go down the ramp, the cops were probably already starting to discuss on the radio that he was fleeing. This pursuit had already changed from a simple traffic citation.

As for the law about recording... beats me what that's all about. Sounds like a law that's ripe for review.

And maybe they were throwing the book at him with everything they could think of, for the stupidity he'd displayed. Dunno...

Last edited by a moderator: