error code 16 will not start

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

pfhague

After letting the FJR sleep thru the winter, I attempted to start it and it would crank and fired a few times and thats as far as I got. Nothing after that. I did get a error code 16 and did check the TPS and that indicates that it is fine. I have changed the battery and the plugs but still nothing. The plugs were wet with fuel when removed so I think that fuel delivery is no problem.

Anyone with any ideas before I bring it to the Stealer?

Thanks

Phil

If you think the plugs are dry try holding the throttle wide open and crank the engine in 3-5 second blips. If it's going to start it will fire within 2-3 tries. This has worked for several people with similar symptoms. If your battery is up to it I'm betting it will start :D Let us know what it turns out to be.

Try taking the plugs back out and then hooking them back up to the spark plug wires. Lay them so they are touching the engine but you can see the electrode end. Crank and see if you have a nice blue spark jumping the gap. Watch your eyes if the injectors have been delivering fuel as you think the spark plug holes will blow fuel out. This will do 2 things for you. It will let you see if the igniton system is fireing and will clear the engine if it is flooded. Keep a fire extinguisher handy, I have never had this procedure light a fire but there is potential.

Nate

Got it going!! I did what Ionbeam suggested and after a few tries it finally started.

Thanks

Got it going!!
Cool! :good:

I had to figure out that little trick myself one 20° (F) morning. I didn't post it to the Forum because I thought the problem was a one time event, unique to my bike. A couple of weeks later someone else posted the same problem/solution.