Windshield Shutter

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sl_1300

Reaction score
My new 08, 550 miles, has a slight problem with the windshield. The shield "shutters"...."rattles"...."shakes"....makes rumbling noise, when it is being retracted to the lower position. Anyone else have this problem? Is it as simple as something needs a little lube?

I havent noticed that yet but then again I just hit the 100 mile mark today and only about 30 of those have been on the freeway. I will keep an eye on mine to see if I have the same problem.

I just looked in the service manual and it looks like there's a couple slide tracks that may need a little more lube. It recommends Lithium-soap-based grease... What ever that is.

My new 08, 550 miles, has a slight problem with the windshield. The shield "shutters"...."rattles"...."shakes"....makes rumbling noise, when it is being retracted to the lower position. Anyone else have this problem? Is it as simple as something needs a little lube?
Yes and yes. Mine did that when retracting. Squirted some silicon lube in the tracks and mechanism, ran 'er up and down for a couple of cycles and it's been good for the last 3 months.

I just looked in the service manual and it looks like there's a couple slide tracks that may need a little more lube. It recommends Lithium-soap-based grease... What ever that is.
Those tracks are aluminum channel with nylon blocks running inside. White Lithium Grease works well. Personally I use a spray Teflon lube or silicon spray so there is less chance of dirt or contaminant buildup.

Mine '08 is right around 500 miles, and I haven't had any signs of shuddering or jerkiness. I've taken it on the freeway quite a bit as well as around town and it's been smooth the whole time for me...

Those tracks are aluminum channel with nylon blocks running inside. White Lithium Grease works well. Personally I use a spray Teflon lube or silicon spray so there is less chance of dirt or contaminant buildup.
Just gave 'em a shot. Now it lowers smooth as silk.

Thanks!