New wheel (06ABS) on an 04NoABS

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RenoJohn

Reaction score
I stumbled across a rear wheel off of totalled bike. Bought it sight-unseen ..knew it was off an 06 but that is all i knew (other than it had a practically new OEM tire).

I know this new wheel will quickly pay for itself as I'll now be able to swap tires/wheels instantly which will give me great flexibility -allowing me to not have to take a descent tire off for a long ride. I can now put the "more worn" tire on for short rides or slab rides etc. Bottom line: I'll get much more use of my tires and better performance tailered for the "next ride"

Wheel showed up today and I was excited to see it came with axle and associated parts. I also see this wheel is polished ...very shinny (is that polished an OEM feature on 06's?? ...or did the previous owner do that??)

I wasn't overly excited to see that it is off an ABS bike so it has the gear for the ABS sensor and some other differences. I had anticipated that this migh not be "plug and play", but was confident that it would be close enough. Well, it is good enough, but I have some things to do and would like to ask for thoghts suggestions and validation (or not) of my thoughts.

P1010001.JPG

New wheel on right. Everthing great on this side! Note the polished wheel!

P1010003.JPG

But not quite the same on this side <_<

Note the gear for the ABS sensor as well as the different boot covering the bearing

P1010004.JPG

Close up of Old Wheel ....and the rubber boot protecting the bearing and made to accomodate the 04 spacer.

P1010005.JPG

Close up of the 06ABS wheel ...note the diffent boot (and the gear which i'm not worried about)

P1010006.JPG

Here is the ABS sensor housing which also acts as the spacer.

P1010008.JPG

No choice but to use this 06ABS sensor housing for the time being ...here it is installed.

Note it replaces the 04 spacer (that I set on the swingarm to illustrate).

This 06 sensor housing/spacer has a whole that you can see ..that is where the sensor would go. I'll plug this wth rubber or something for the time being.

[SIZE=14pt]What I hope I can do is just order the 04 bearing boot and put it in the 06wheel. [/SIZE]

This will allow me to use the 04spacer and have a much cleaner and consistent scenerio as I swap wheels back and forth.

+Does this make sense? Any flaws to my logic??

[SIZE=18pt]Any thoughts that this hick from Nevada hasn't thought of?[/SIZE]

Sure am excited about having the flexibility to swap wheels/tires on a whim to best suit my "next" ride and get more miles out of my tires.....renojohn

Last edited by a moderator:
I wondered who snaged them off ebay.... I have ran a ABS wheels on my non-ABS bike. The only thing you will need is the seal for the right side of the rear wheel... and your set.. That way you won't have to use the ABS sensor/plate. The ABS gear will show, but who cares...

I think this is the right part #... 93102-28023-00

Around $6.50 list

Smitty

Last edited by a moderator:
I wondered who snaged them off ebay.... I have ran a ABS wheels on my non-ABS bike. The only thing you will need is the seal for the right side of the rear wheel... and your set.. That way you won't have to use the ABS sensor/plate. The ABS gear will show, but who cares...

Around $6.50 list

Smitty
Hey Smitty ....I like that your thoughts parrallel mine ....exactly what I hope is the best solution. I'll be ordering up that part tomorrow and get this thing buttoned down. Thanks a bunch ....oh, and yes, that was me who snagged these off of Ebay ....renojohn

... totalled bike. ...... I also see this tire is polished ...
Perhaps that's why it was totalled? Heard of this before.

Be sure to check the tyre very carefully for signs of damage before risking your life on it.

Hmmmm, slight hijack, but dang! Check out the differences between that Z6 and Azaro! New job for Ashe!
LOL ....hey TWN ...after work I'll be mounting up a BT-021 on the 04 wheel (this will be for performance rides, I'll use the Z6 for slab and dinkin' around) ...I'll take a pic or two for you ....including shots of a few abused Avons that are on their way to the landfill.

Right on there RenoJohn!

I have had a 2nd set of wheels since purchasing them from smitty waaay back in 05 sometime. It's great having a mounted and balanced second set always ready to go at a moments notice. I do the swap thing all the time to extrude maximum miles from a set of tires if at all possible. Good on ya!

From your piccies - interesting that they also changed the rotor design on the Gen II bikes.

Right on there RenoJohn!
I have had a 2nd set of wheels since purchasing them from smitty waaay back in 05 sometime. It's great having a mounted and balanced second set always ready to go at a moments notice. I do the swap thing all the time to extrude maximum miles from a set of tires if at all possible. Good on ya!

From your piccies - interesting that they also changed the rotor design on the Gen II bikes.
Yep, exactly skooter ..i'll be swapping a lot as well. Only thing worse than taking off a descent tire for a looong ride, is pushing a worn tire on a long ride. Tickled pink and will be putting both of the wheels to good use.

Dang.Now I wanna 2nd set of wheels.

GZ
Yep, I've positioned myself where I wanted.. a bit behind skooter ...but a step ahead of George :)

Kidding of course .....but this overweight sportbike is getting the TLC needed for some serious miles this summer.

If I recall correctly, the wheels on TRIPLETANGO's AE were polished like that from the factory.
Hmm, well it is definately polished, not sure if from the factory though.

BTW: I would like to publicly thank whoever totalled the 06 bike that this wheel came off of. Your violent wreck has greatly enhanced my enjoyment of my bike.

Yup its nice having a second set. Mind you, I've yet to use my second set of wheels, but I'm going to this riding season!

Yee ol' tire tester Mr. Jeff Ashe scored the front.

I have ran a ABS wheels on my non-ABS bike. The only thing you will need is the seal for the right side of the rear wheel... and your set.. That way you won't have to use the ABS sensor/plate. The ABS gear will show, but who cares...

Around $6.50 list

Smitty
smitty ......before seeing your post I was optimistic that a seal was all that it would take, ...your post here made me more confident ............got my new seal and today spent about 5 minutes and like magic i'm all done with that clumsy abs spacer/sensor plate. ...and yes your part # is correct.
thanks!

PS: ran about a thousand miles with the abs senor plate ...no harm ...but so much cleaner with the non abs spacer...

...renojohn

RenoJohn wrote:

LOL ....hey TWN ...after work I'll be mounting up a BT-021 on the 04 wheel (this will be for performance rides, I'll use the Z6 for slab and dinkin' around) ...I'll take a pic or two for you ....including shots of a few abused Avons that are on their way to the landfill.
There is no 021 application for the FJR, only a 020. I was told by Bridgestone that there is someone out there testing the 021 on it though, as they know it will eventually find its way there anyway. Is that you?

BTW there were 2 polished wheels on the 06's A = Silver AE = Black

RenoJohn wrote:
There is no 021 application for the FJR, only a 020. I was told by Bridgestone that there is someone out there testing the 021 on it though, as they know it will eventually find its way there anyway. Is that you?

BTW there were 2 polished wheels on the 06's A = Silver AE = Black
not sure what you mean "no application' BT-020 works on the FJR the BT-021 is the successor of that tire. Sport touring tire ...

I'll agree that no history to go off of ...but i'm confident that it will be a good tire and optimistic that it'll be a great tire.

got one mounted and ready to put on (meanwhile i'm being very cruel to the Metzeler that came with the wheel).

Not me testing under any official lines ...just me ....but there are a few if not many that are ahead of me using the 021's on the FJR.

cool on the polished wheel info! thanks. I'm so DUM (dumb) ..I didn't even know that they come polished from the factory LOL

thanks

RenoJohn wrote:

not sure what you mean "no application' BT-020 works on the FJR the BT-021 is the successor of that tire. Sport touring tire ...
Sorry for being vague, let me explain. Bridgestone makes a number of different BT020R's in the 185/55ZR17 size. Only 1 is recomended for the FJR. It is identified by an ARICLE NUMBER on the side of the tire - 00978 - . It also carries the OE code of "N" near the "73W" weight designator. While some of the variations are relatively minor changes the 978 has, because of the weight and prodigious torque of the FJR, a substantially different casing. It is 3 ply instead of 2! It is similar to a "extra load" casing even though Bstone choose not to raise the max air pressure rating. This is because they were not going to raise the reccomended air pressures past the existing 42 for footprint/handling reason. Suffice to say the casing is MUCH stronger and custom designed by engineers from both Bridgestone AND Yamaha along with other details specifically for the FJR. The front ARTICLE NUMBER is - 021718 - and carries a "CC" OE code.

I have seen many FJR's parked and for curiosity looked at the tires and found a different OE code than what they should be running. The "G" code from an R6, or a "U" code - original on an Ducati ST3! These were all BT020's but very different tires, as they should be, given that the bikes are a whole different application and weigh 250lbs lighter. The compounding is softer and the sidewalls much more flexible. Kind of shoots down the whole reason to have a "custom" application. I have often said that this may be one of the reasons, along with very different air pressure, loading, etc., that rider reports are so varied. Many riders who are unarmed with this knowledge go to the net and order The right size but the wrong, completely wrong, tire in the interest of saving a buck. Go ahead save a buck, but know what you are doing because I assure you that if you buy a "G" for even $50 less, you are losing money AND performance.

The BT021 is a Generic replacement as 1 model fits all. One tire cannnot replace the 020 lineup as it is made up of many different tires. Bridgestone, understanding that it will (as you have demonstrated) find its way onto the bike, is monitoring a real world use with a very experienced/ knowledable test rider. I thought it might be you.

RenoJohn wrote:
Sorry for being vague, let me explain. Bridgestone makes a number of different BT020R's in the 185/55ZR17 size. Only 1 is recomended for the FJR. It is identified by an ARICLE NUMBER on the side of the tire - 00978 - . It also carries the OE code of "N" near the "73W" weight designator. While some of the variations are relatively minor changes the 978 has, because of the weight and prodigious torque of the FJR, a substantially different casing. It is 3 ply instead of 2! It is similar to a "extra load" casing even though Bstone choose not to raise the max air pressure rating. This is because they were not going to raise the reccomended air pressures past the existing 42 for footprint/handling reason. Suffice to say the casing is MUCH stronger and custom designed by engineers from both Bridgestone AND Yamaha along with other details specifically for the FJR. The front ARTICLE NUMBER is - 021718 - and carries a "CC" OE code.

I have seen many FJR's parked and for curiosity looked at the tires and found a different OE code than what they should be running. The "G" code from an R6, or a "U" code - original on an Ducati ST3! These were all BT020's but very different tires, as they should be, given that the bikes are a whole different application and weigh 250lbs lighter. The compounding is softer and the sidewalls much more flexible. Kind of shoots down the whole reason to have a "custom" application. I have often said that this may be one of the reasons, along with very different air pressure, loading, etc., that rider reports are so varied. Many riders who are unarmed with this knowledge go to the net and order The right size but the wrong, completely wrong, tire in the interest of saving a buck. Go ahead save a buck, but know what you are doing because I assure you that if you buy a "G" for even $50 less, you are losing money AND performance.

The BT021 is a Generic replacement as 1 model fits all. One tire cannnot replace the 020 lineup as it is made up of many different tires. Bridgestone, understanding that it will (as you have demonstrated) find its way onto the bike, is monitoring a real world use with a very experienced/ knowledable test rider. I thought it might be you.
Wow gocha,
i never really considered the 020 ...but real or imagined I was told the 021 was better for a fat sportbike like the fjr. (now, i don't know if they were comparing that to the "N" designation that you mention). Interesting stuff. don't have all the answers, but I've got two sets ready to go and will soon be putting them through the paces. Can't be worse than the mistake I made putting some BT-014's on!! LOL, fjr burned those up in one 2500mile weekend! (but it was a fun sticky weekend).

thanks for the comments, you obviously know about the Bridgestone flavors ....if there is any info that I can get you off the tires that I have ...or anything else ...let me know.

Here are the BT-021's ...one is now mounted on my unmounted wheel (while I burn up the Metzeler that came with my "spare wheel" Soon these will be on and we'll start the fun.

renojohn_bt021.JPG

thanks for " learnin' " me sometin' ...renojohn