AE shifting

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captain B

Reaction score
Looking for opinions from AE riders as to whether they notice any difference in performance, timing, etc. using either the foot lever or the toggle switch. I get a mild sense that using the foot lever seems to be more direct and solid. I have used both about equally - maybe the toggle more than the foot. I find myself retesting the foot lever, and "feel" that I get a better response. I am not enough of a techy to know if this is even possible with the way the chip works, but thought I would throw this out there. Is this just left-over sensation from previous foot control or is there perhaps something more to it?

I tend to use mostly the paddle shifter using my index finger only. I downshift on the backside of the paddle by pushing forward with my left index finger and upshift by pulling aft on the paddle with the index finder. Use the footshifter primarily in the twisties. I have discovered that by flicking the paddle it shifts more quickly and smoother on my 06 AE with 13.5K miles.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use my fore finger for up shifts and thumb for down shifts. I do use my foot periodically for down shifts so I'm well practiced for a 'panic' stop. I have used aggressive breaking and foot down shifting for emergency and 'semi' emergency situations.

In twisties I like to use the paddle exclusively for upshifts and foot vary rarely for downshifts.

I do notice that the foot down shifts seem more positive. I would attribute that to the mechanics of the paddles/levers since they both just actuate an electronic switch.

Because of arthritis in both hands, I have found that using one finger to both up and down shift (pull/push) works best for me on my 06. I do not use my thumb at all, and I cannot recall the last time I used the foot shift. Personal preference based on personal circumstances.

im with turbodave and nsfjr on this one.

i exclusively use the padle shifter. using only my index finger to both up and down shift.

jason

I use the foot-shift 100% of the time. Feels more "bike like" and natural. Another reason is that despite the immense computing power of the ECU, it just doesn't seem to understand that the sounding of the horn means gear-down! :lol:

Index finger only (I had too many horn events instead of downshifts when I first got it).

Gear change time is the same, they both are just electric switches telling the computer you want to change, but it does make a difference on the throttle setting etc, and I suppose it's possible your inputs to the bike may be different using foot or hand.

I decided when I first got my AS that I'd not use the foot change so that if I ever ride a "conventional" bike I am reminded to use the clutch lever, and I prefer not having to move my left foot around the gear lever (but I fully understand the "flipper for up, foot for down" school of thought, particularly if it's an excuse for a round or two ...).

Great response. Thank you one and all. I am sure this thread will benefit many others out there. THe only thing I had not tried was the single index finger for push 'n pull. Now I can really mess up my brain patterns.

I use the Paddle almost all the time. I did hit the horn a few times in the beginning. Now it is natural for me and I dont have to think about it. I also ride with my toes in the "tucket in" position on the balls of my feet, thusly I do not have to move them to shift. I rest my heels on the spar that holds the passenger pegs. This is not good or bad, it is just how I sit naturally now. I feel exposed with my feet hanging off of the pegs now

I have never used the foot shifter on the bike. Well, one time I did because I forgot to push in the green button after I filled up my gas tank.

Hey guys, I'm bringing this back because I didn't see an important problem addressed, which is very likely to experience on a panic situation:

How the heck do you downshift to 1st if in 5th (or other high gear) when stopped???

On a normal bike, easiest way is to partially release clutch until you feel the tranny 'click', pull back lever, and downshift another gear (done in rapid succession). And repeat. My guess is on the AE you substitute partially releasing the clutch with partially applying the throttle, then back, and click, right? Thx.

JC

Hey guys, I'm bringing this back because I didn't see an important problem addressed, which is very likely to experience on a panic situation:
How the heck do you downshift to 1st if in 5th (or other high gear) when stopped???

On a normal bike, easiest way is to partially release clutch until you feel the tranny 'click', pull back lever, and downshift another gear (done in rapid succession). And repeat. My guess is on the AE you substitute partially releasing the clutch with partially applying the throttle, then back, and click, right? Thx.

JC
Give that man a cupie doll! He knows the secret. Also letting the bike move and stopping with the brake seems to clear you for 2 more down.

Looking for opinions from AE riders as to whether they notice any difference in performance, timing, etc. using either the foot lever or the toggle switch. I get a mild sense that using the foot lever seems to be more direct and solid. I have used both about equally - maybe the toggle more than the foot. I find myself retesting the foot lever, and "feel" that I get a better response.

Whaaaaaaa......?

Isn't that like saying: "The lightswitch on this wall turns off that light more solidly and with better feel than the lightswitch on this wall!"

Paddle only. Finger for upshift, thumb for down. The horn issue was about the same as overcoming the high beam switch instead of windshield switch thing. My thumb is a fast learner, and after the first day, no more horn instead of downshifts. (I did use the foot shifter once or twice just to be sure it actually worked)

For my AE, Going from 5th to 1st is just a matter of tumbing the paddle shifter when stopped at the light. If, as on regular chutched bikes, the cogs are not aligned from time to time when stopped, roll forwared or back about 6 inches and then thumb it all the way down as fast as you can hit the paddle. Works every time