Into trying new things? Think SPA!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toecutter

What would DoG do?
Reaction score
So, yesterday I went to an event which was a first for me, and a first for the Fresno Police Department, an open-participation rider skills clinic hosted by two of the motor division's training officers.

First, there was a short gathering for some lecture. Then, one of the officers explained things while the other officer demonstrated their low-speed skills course. This was the same course used for recruit academy, which is two weeks long, with an average 40% washout rate. The toughest pattern involved three U-turns in less space than four parking stalls wide and one deep. The "easiest" one was a series of several pairs of cones about three feet apart, with a matching set about 25 feet away, kinda like this:

o

o

o

o

You go between the cones, then across to the other set in a serpentine fashion, like a big, slow slalom.

Oh yeah, they teach no dragging of the rear brake, only clutch and throttle to control speed. They claim it makes for better riders. In four different attempts, two in each direction, I never got through totally clean, without a dab, a little brake, or hooking a cone with the rear wheel, and my low speed skills are a far sight better than they were back when I dropped my bike, that fateful Sept. 11th day, 2005.

I didn't bother trying any of the three other, more difficult patterns. On the last run, I almost dropped 'er. :blink:

The guy who demo'd the course did the above pattern with his clutch hand off the bars. I'm a flounder. I'm also so glad that I got the opportunity to do this. It was put on by the local BMW dealer, and the vast majority of the 30 or so bikes that showed were Beemers. Only about 12 of us had enough courage to run the patterns, and at least three of the bikes were dropped that I saw.

Well, maybe it wasn't all about courage...

The officer spent a lot of time explaining the inherent danger of doing this kind of training with a dry clutch. He also said that when they run the motor's school, they use Kawasaki's, because "They're just bulletproof". In other words, a BMW would probably not survive two weeks of clutch-slipping, but he did say that the new 1200's handle the course better than the Kawi's and the two ST1300's they have on the force. Darn, those Honda's don't do slow or fast very well.

He then went on to a street-riding overview, as they teach. When they investigate an officer-involved motorcycle incident, there are only two outcomes: At-fault and avoidable. They believe that they are in control of their machines, and there is very rarely an incident where the officer had no control on the outcome.

They enforce a riding strategy for survival based on a mnemonic: SPA

When he explained it I felt rather liberated, as it's what I've been doing since I started driving, 32 years ago...

S - Search - Constantly and in EVERY direction.

P - Predict - What could each threat do that would endanger me?

A - Act - Be ready to immediately take evasive action, based on the plan you developed during the Predict phase.

They teach "Steer to the rear". Going for the back end of a moving vehicle. Makes sense to me. They also require their officers to be able to stop a non-ABS bike in 78 or less feet from 45mph. They teach to always cover the clutch, in case of a panic stop, as it will stop the feeding of power to the rear wheel and allow you to stop faster.

It was nice to hear some reinforcement from a professional, and gain confidence in my already-sound riding strategy.

I got invited to attend their quarterly refresher training, Wednesday afternoon, but only to watch. That's all I'll need, I can practice on my own, once I know how to practice. And I'll be networking with bunches of guys who wield the local radar guns. Never a bad thing....

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting info. I don't understand about the clutch-use in a panic stop, however. Doesn't the engine compression provide its own braking, therefore shortening the stopping distance?

Doesn't the engine compression provide its own braking, therefore shortening the stopping distance?
Only to a point, and not effectively in a panic stop situation. A panic stop is something you can never practice, only perform. You can practice emergency braking, and hope you have the muscle memory to put practice into play when it's panic-stop time. If you're good enough to mash the binders, front and back, 70/30, and then pull the clutch in halfway to impact, you're much better than I.

Like the good officer said, "I'd much rather impact a car at 25 miles per hour than at 40, so every fraction of a second counts". He also said that the way they teach their officers is not the only way it's done, just the best and safest way they think it should be done. YMMV

That is some very interesting information. My guess is that many if not most of us are not as GOOD as we think we are….(or once were) and without practicing the skills….well the probability of using them effectively in a panic situation decreases.

I would have to add that if you practice the SPA techniques effectively, then you should never be in a “panic” situation, just experiencing rapidly occurring unscheduled events for which you have made considerations.

It is far too easy to let time lull you into complacency…….and Murphy just loves that…..

So, will you be setting up test circuits at NAFO????

I don't have access or means to haul all those cones in, and I'd imagine it would be tough to find a paved area willing to let us play like that, but it'd be agreat idea! Hopefully, I'll at least have some decent skills by then, or lots of scratches on my bike from all the drops.

Another real-world opportunity to use the skills - when you're about to get rear-ended and need to make a quick turn-escape!

It's about leaning the bike way over at low speeds. These guys can scrape pegs at an idle!

Interesting info. I don't understand about the clutch-use in a panic stop, however. Doesn't the engine compression provide its own braking, therefore shortening the stopping distance?

In addition to what Toecutter contrubuted, covering the clutch has an additional benefit.

Ever been shocked? What do your hands do when you are shocked? Right...the clamp closed. Going into a panic mode is much the same way. When we panic, our hands close tight. If you were covering the front brake, guess what would happen? :blink: A further phenomona takes place also; namely, our wrist jerks back when we are shocked or panicing. If we don't go grabbing a fist full of front brake, we might just roll on that throttle, which only increases the potential for an accident. By covering the clutch (and not the front brake) we eliminate both potentially harmful scenerios stated above. It is good practice, and it is safe.

Toecutter, that SPA acromym is similar to the SEE acronym we teach in MSF.

S~Search

E~Evaluate

E~Execute

Infact, most of what you stated sings a familiar song. Have you compared it to the teaching of MSF? I know their in CA they charge...what was it, $250 (it's free here in PA). Nevertheless, if you haven't taken it, I strongly encourage everyone to invest the time to go through it. Although it is a very basic course, even vetran riders will learn something.

Thanks for the write-up.

Sport

Toecutter, that SPA acromym is similar to the SEE acronym we teach in MSF. S~Search

E~Evaluate

E~Execute

Sport
it used to be SIPDE

scan

identify

predict

decide

execute (no, not the soccer mom on the cell phone, silly! execute your decided maneuver!) ( :

when did they change? am i showing my age (at which i took the courses)?

dean

cincinnati

I don't have access or means to haul all those cones in, and I'd imagine it would be tough to find a paved area willing to let us play like that, but it'd be agreat idea! Hopefully, I'll at least have some decent skills by then, or lots of scratches on my bike from all the drops.

Another real-world opportunity to use the skills - when you're about to get rear-ended and need to make a quick turn-escape!

It's about leaning the bike way over at low speeds. These guys can scrape pegs at an idle!
You guys at NAFO will have enough bikes and people, why not get somebody to put on a clinic?

It can also be....

WTFO.

watch

the

out.

edit: and for you kalifornians...

WTFOD.

dude.

Last edited by a moderator:
All good stuff, here.

...A further phenomona takes place also; namely, our wrist jerks back when we are shocked or panicing. If we don't go grabbing a fist full of front brake, we might just roll on that throttle, which only increases the potential for an accident. By covering the clutch (and not the front brake) we eliminate both potentially harmful scenerios stated above.
Some good techniques are to ride with your right wrist down -- so that, when you reach for the front brake lever, you automatically/naturally roll-off the throttle. And... progressively squeeze the front brake -- don't grab.

What you do with your hands on the bars is important. Covering the clutch lever in times of danger is a good idea. But controlling the throttle with the right hand is probably more important than having your fingers poised over the brake (my opinion, too).

Doing all this stuff right can be the difference between a good and a bad outcome.... :unsure: ;)

Very nice Bob. I really enjoy watching the motorcops at work. I've been seriously thinking about where and what I can do to improve my riding skills and this has given me some more ideas to help start the actual process of what I need to do. Since I can't afford one of the classes or clinics there is excercises I can do on my own for braking techniques, counter steering techniques, emergency turnouts, ie when an oncoming vehicle is going to rearend you, steering in turns, braking in turns, etc. Any practice one can do is bound to increase your skills. Thanks again for the great info. PM. <>< ;)

Thanks TC for the Initial Post and the Link to the cone patterns. I wonder if any of the “local” in the Golden area might be able to help put a skills training area together for NAFO.

Cones can be rented if we could find a space and possibly a sponsor to cover the cost of the cone rental and insurance cost for the event if the property owner where it is help insists on coverage.

Sooooo how do we get the powers to be to at least consider putting a skills session together.