Cee Bailey's Windshield... initial impressions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duff

Reaction score
After using a Cee bailey's windshield and headlight guards on my 05 for about 28 of the 29 thousand miles I had on it, it was a given that I would want a new windshield on my 08. So, I ordered a new shield, slapped it on and I LIKE IT!

OK, so there was a little more to it than that.

First, I went to the website and noticed that they had changed a couple things. I no longer had the option of +1" wide on the GenII shields. Hmm... guess that is because the stocker is a little wider on the GenII already. I could go more, but I didn't want a wide shield. Stock width will have to do.

Next, I find that, not only can I go taller than stock, but I can go shorter than stock! OK, more choices, but I know what I'm after; taller! So, I select a +2" taller and add the "flip". The "flip" allows the shield to push the air even higher without raising the height of the shield. I preferred this for two reasons: One, I like the look of the shorter windshield. Two, I like to look over the windshield while riding. With the flip, I can still do that.

So, I wait about a week for them to make the shield (they custom build each order) and then I get the shipping notification. Shield arrived about a day later. (They are in eastern CA, so it's a short trip.) Order arrived and there is a problem. As soon as I pulled it out of the box, I could tell it was the wrong one. There was obviously no "flip" and I could tell without even taking it out of the protective wrap. This was on Wednesday about 4pm. I grabbed the phone and called them and let them know what happened. The guy I spoke with was VERY helpful and understanding. They made a mistake and would correct it the next day. I got a call the next day with an RMA and was told they would "rush" the build order and ship before the end of the week. (He could have just told me they were going to build it that morning and ship it that afternoon!) Thursday afternoon, I get a shipping notification. Expected delivery day: Friday. Next evening, UPS pulled up and left the replacement shield along with a call-tag for the old.

The main reason I mention all this is because of the terrific customer service I received. Never a poor attitude, never and questioning response.

Now, about the windshield:

Here is a picture of it in the down position...

p657493809-3.jpg

Here is a picture of it in the full up position...

p863524640-3.jpg

With it in the down position, I have plenty of air on my helmet. Raise it about half-way and I am clear of all but bad buffeting winds and still easily looking over the top. Raise it the full height and I am able to look through it and be totally protected. I'm surrounded by a VERY nice cocoon of air. I think it is even better than my 05 was.

No strange noises, whistles, buffeting or anything like that. The redesign of the GenII really seems to have made a difference when it comes to the backpressure in the cockpit. I will have NO NEED to modify this windshield with extra vent holes.

Anyway, I'm a happy camper and I'll let you all know if anything changes after a long ride.

JamesK said:
Duff, thanks for the discripition, sounds really nice. Could you pls let us know how tall you are and which position you have the seat in?
Dang, guys, I really HAD intended to post the basic info so that people knew what "type" of person the review came from. So, here are the basics:

5' 10.5" Tall

195 pounds

Bars are in the full-back position which should make me sit up a bit taller.

Seat is in the lower position so that I have better footing.

FWIW, I have about 2-3 inches of "head-room" before I start feeling the air again when in the up postition.

Hope sthis helps!

Last edited by a moderator:
Duff, thanks for the discripition, sounds really nice. Could you pls let us know how tall you are and which position you have the seat in?

Hey Duff, Like the look of it on your scoot. Two questions: Are you one of those tall & wide guys like I am? Also, have you run any hotter bulbs w/ the shields in place?

After using a Cee bailey's windshield and headlight guards on my 05 for about 28 of the 29 thousand miles I had on it, it was a given that I would want a new windshield on my 08. So, I ordered a new shield, slapped it on and I LIKE IT!
You don't mention it but I'll assume it was easy to install? Mechanically, I'm a complete moron so anything I do to the bike has to have *zero* chance of killing me. I assume it's just a matter of unscrewing some things and then screwing them back on? No mechanical/electrical adjustments necessary, right? Cause those *could* kill me. :)

Duff - Great post thanks. Glad you like the new windshield, it does look pretty nice on that black beauty.

You're wasting no time in getting the new steed the way you want it. Thank you plastic money!

You don't mention it but I'll assume it was easy to install? Mechanically, I'm a complete moron so anything I do to the bike has to have *zero* chance of killing me. I assume it's just a matter of unscrewing some things and then screwing them back on? No mechanical/electrical adjustments necessary, right? Cause those *could* kill me. :)
VERY basic mechanical installation.

Remove two allen screws below the 'W', slide the 'W' up and then remove, remove 7 plastic screws holding the shield in place. Set new one in place and reverse.

Piece of cake! Takes about 5 minutes... if you aren't in a hurry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Duff - Great post thanks. Glad you like the new windshield, it does look pretty nice on that black beauty.
You're wasting no time in getting the new steed the way you want it. Thank you plastic money!
Thanks B-Man. :p

Since I am a non-plastic convert (had my share of debt and got rid of it) I am happy to say that every "mod" on the bike is mine. The bank still ownes the bike for a while, but the goodies are mine. :D

On that subject, the 05 taught me a lot about what I like and what I want to change on the FJR. This knowledge (and a decent number of farkles that I was able to transfer from the 05) has allowed me to prioritize and fast-track the setup on Betty. Besides... NAFO is almost here! :blink: I have to be ready!

After using a Cee bailey's windshield and headlight guards on my 05 for about 28 of the 29 thousand miles I had on it, it was a given that I would want a new windshield on my 08. So, I ordered a new shield, slapped it on and I LIKE IT!....

Hope sthis helps!
Duff, thanks again for your great write up, i ordered a CB screen and am VERY happy with it, finally screen nirvana :yahoo:

I have added my comments to the Dealer & Vendor Feedback Forum- JamesK

I, too, like Cee Bailey's products, but I, too, have had cause to find out how good their customer service is. When I ordered a windshield for my wife's Gold Wing a couple of years ago, they sent me someone's FJR windshield! (He had apparently gotten our windshield) Like you, I found them eager to fix the problem, but it's curious that they have so many problems to fix...

Nice post Duff! I have been shopping for a windshield for a couple of weeks for my 08. Your post sold me for a couple of reasons. One, we are the same height and two, close to weight. ( I am on little lighter, I am on Jenny Craig's diet plan ) LOL. And 3, I also like to look over a shield especially in corners. The stock is ok but I have way to much buffering and noise at quick speeds. It will be nice to get rid of that!

I went with the dark gray, 2" length and stock width as well.

Thanks again!

When ordering, do you need the gasket? If no, why do they sell it?

I've also had great expierence with them for my girlfriends custom seat. They really do take care to notice what you want and fit it for you.

When ordering, do you need the gasket? If no, why do they sell it?I've also had great expierence with them for my girlfriends custom seat. They really do take care to notice what you want and fit it for you.
Gasket came in the box with the windshield. :rolleyes: