Mountain Riding

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calabash

Reaction score
This was at the beginning of the Cherohala Skyway, I think they are going to cover the dragon with a covering like his last mailbox.

IMG_1259.jpg

This was the mailbox at this spot last year:

IMG_0732.jpg

Brand new covered bridge going over the Tellico River:

IMG_1266.jpg

Tellico River before you get into the mountains of the Cherohala:

IMG_1270.jpg

Mountains near the top of the Cherohala, this is a little over 5000 feet high, not as green as down below:

IMG_1276.jpg

IMG_1277.jpg

IMG_1278.jpg

This is the road running alongside the Nantahala River:

IMG_1301.jpg

Tried Boiled Peanuts once, it is an aquired taste that I never aquired...

IMG_1311.jpg

Nantahala Gorge:

IMG_1319.jpg

IMG_1320.jpg

IMG_1321.jpg

IMG_1322.jpg

I ran up hwy 28 to Deals Gap and the first bikes I see:

IMG_1324.jpg

It wasn't crowded today, I was there around 3pm. If you haven't been here before notice the road up off to the left, when people pull out they go screaming out of there sometimes on just one wheel. (I don't have the guts to do crap like that but it sounds and looks cool)

IMG_1325.jpg

IMG_1326.jpg

IMG_1327.jpg

IMG_1328.jpg

IMG_1329.jpg

As I was running the Gap I saw Killboy so I tried to take a picture of him taking a picture of me like DeWayne and Tom used to do, but my camera was not on at the time. Only one Highway Patrol car out there and he was at the end of a straightaway looking bored to be there. I'm tired and sore from all the riding but enjoyed every minute of it.

Nice pics, makes me miss the place from last year's ride and unable to patiently wait for the repeat trip this September! Thanks for sharing. BTW, what was your personal preference, the Cherohala Skyway or the Dragon? Going back to do both, had missed the skyway due to time constraints last year. A good enough reason to make the return trip!! Still can't believe they're selling the place. Hope it works out not only for the biking community, but for the current owners as well. I digress.......

Nice pics, makes me miss the place from last year's ride and unable to patiently wait for the repeat trip this September! Thanks for sharing. BTW, what was your personal preference, the Cherohala Skyway or the Dragon? Going back to do both, had missed the skyway due to time constraints last year. A good enough reason to make the return trip!! Still can't believe they're selling the place. Hope it works out not only for the biking community, but for the current owners as well. I digress.......

Cherohala edges out the Gap, Cherohala has more views, the sweepers are easier for my bike to handle, if I am stuck behind someone I can pass them sooner than I can at the Gap, and the Cherohala is less crowded than the Gap. But for the sheer fun of twisty curves nothing beats the Dragon.

Me & Daddysbike came out of Knoxville last weekend from Kentucky down 129.

We were kinda tired from our 1800 mile trip from the previous week and were just moseing up the curves at the speed limit, how blasphemous.

Saw 4 bikes coming from the store and 3 or 4 at the store. Was kinda nice for a change.

One cop giving out awards nabbed a poor individual who was gassing up.

I told him they were hard up for customers and just had to give him a performance award.

Nice pics Mr. Calabash,looks like you had a nice ride.