Can you say . . . Dumb A$$!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ocdmachine

Reaction score
Normally I do not share embarassing moments in my life with the public at-large but my previous life taught me the value of "after-action" reports. It is also incumbent upon us all to share experiences that can teach others the lessons some of us decide to learn the hard way.

So here it goes. A beautiful Sunday morning for a ride on the FJR with good friends. Location is Hwy 580 west of Lampasas,TX. This is a great motorcycle road with curves and easy sweepers that rarely has a lot of traffic. One of our favorite rides taking the backroads to Coopers in Llano. Now the real kicker is that a group of my Harley buddies & I rode this same route a couple of weeks ago and knew that they had done some road resurfacing by dumping gravel everywhere for the cars to grind in.

We all took it easy back then and I had just warned a new rider about the gravel on the roadway and to not get aggressive in the curves. Well . . .

Backboard.jpg

Suppose I should have listened to my own advice! Here is the curve that did me in. If you look close you can see the darker gray in the curve that is the loose gravel. I knew it was there and entered at a safe speed.

Curve.jpg

Here is the view of the left sweeper after I had just cleared the curve. It appeared fine with no gravel so I nailed it and chose what I thought was a decent apex to negotiate the curve. 2 mistakes. First there was still residual gravel carried by vehicles this far out and my rear wheel swept out to the right as soon as I hit it. Secondly, I delayed entry too late and ended up too close to the outside of the roadway. I was able to counter-steer and keep the bike upright but ran out of roadway and into the ditch I go.

Sweeper.jpg

Initially it looked like I was going to come through OK and be able to ride it out but the dirt in that part of the country is clay and that and grass and speed on street tires don't mix well. She went down pretty hard and slid a couple of hundred feet. Here the DPS Troopers are trying to determine the point I left the roadway.

Troopers.jpg

We had a slight gentlemen's disagreement on that point as I was pretty sure it was farther back since I rode upright for a good distance in the ditch. Bike slid on the left side and flipped over to the right. My friends had picked the bike up prior to DPS arriving.

Damage.jpg

Appears to be all cosmetic damage only. Will get her in next week for the insurance claim. ATGATT is appropriate here. I'm guessing I went down between 50-60 mph. I had really cranked it after clearing the curve so pretty sure I had her up to about 70. Helps going down on dirt & grass versus asphalt :blink:

Helmet.jpg

Final result: 3 fractured ribs, fractured sternum, broken right hand, and a badly bruised right knee. Was wearing my padded riding pants and mesh jacket, gloves and of course the full-face helmet. No doubt whatsoever the proper gear kept me from being seriously injured.

Humbled.jpg

The humbled look :( Learn from my mistakes, this was a mental lapse with 100% fault on me alone.

Last edited by a moderator:
OUCH!

I hate that tar and pea gravel surfacing they like to do.

:angry: I HATE IT! :angry:

Hope you and the bike heal quickly.

after 10 weeks, i'm still recovering from a broken finger. it's now out of the splint and i am working on range of motion all day, every day (takes about 30 minutes of slow stretching to completely close my hand without straining the ultra-tight tendons/ligaments.

all of that to say, WTF is with this broken hand/ribs/sternum = "minor injuries" sheite?

get well soon!

Thanks for being painfully honest. Sounds like a good after action report (mental note made and filed).

You and your steed get well soon.

Sorry about your accident... :(

thanks for being humble enough to share. :clapping:

I've been there and done that. (field romping in the FJR)

... WTF is with this broken hand/ribs/sternum = "minor injuries" sheite?
get well soon!
I agree with Bounce. While your injuries are not life-threatening, they're not all that minor either. You got banged up real good... :unsure:

Get well and start riding again ASAP! You'll passionately hate gravel for a few years to come... :rolleyes:

Stef

Youch! Glad your relatively o.k. Boy that FJR looks more sad than you in that picutre!

Be sure to get your crash club logo!

Also hoping you have insurance. As I have unfortunately found out, FJR's aren't cheap to fix after a getoff!

Well then...Dumb A$$ :unsure:

But I'd rather say Lucky Ass.

This was one of those times where you'd rather be lucky than dumb :rolleyes:

Heal quick and remember.....

They tell me you can't do this when you get older :glare:

ocdmachine, that's very admirable of you to be willing to share the experience, and to admit your error.

Your humility is refreshing. ............ (Not as refreshing as cold beer, but .........FOCUS!)

Glad you're not totally wrecked and will be able to ride again in the near future. Your report will likely give

others something to think about, and someone out there may well avoid an "incident" because he read your

account. Very cool, and much appreciated. Heal well and quickly. Take care.

Michael

Glad you're going to be "ok" and for having the "guts" to post this here. Hopefully we all can learn from each other, no just in the area of Farkles but also in the category of saving lives.

David