Fun with auxiliary lighting (HID) and replacing the main reflector

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bramfrank

BramFrank
Reaction score
So, last year my reflector started cracking and my dealer got me a replacement assembly that he was going to install under warranty.

No problem, says I. I will install it myself. I want to go in and install driving lights anyway, so I have to do a teardown of the nose cone to bury the ballasts, so I'll pull the reflector at the same time.

Simple? NOT!!!

First of all, there are a lot of screws to remove & plugs to unplug to remove the front end. It doesn't help that I have an alarm, a headlight modulator, a navigator, an Autocom, a relay controlled BlueSeas fuse box and more and some of that wiring runs through the front end. At least I never installed the GMRS radio and I don't have an XM receiver to deal with.

Secondly, I have the auto-down connector unplugged. And therein lay my first mistake . . . .

To remove the reflector you need to get the windshield control system out and the instrumentation . . . if the windshield is up, it ain't fun, I must say . . . because the windshield was full up and I have no way of getting the mechanism down without plugging it all back together . . . I DID get it out after fussing with it for a long while. I hope it goes back in better.

Now I have the old reflector out and I crack open the box containing the new one and . . . . it is NOT a North American reflector. This one is obviously European, because it has the small bulbs in the corners - I hope that it isn't the British/Aussie version, because the edge will rise to the left instead of to the right, blinding oncoming traffic!!!

Well, it is getting dark - so I have to call it a night. I hope that I can figure out which screws go where when I start the reassembly process tomorrow.

But the 'NOT' is that I suspect that I will not be able to find a spot on the right side of the bike for that ballast for my driving lights!!! This is serious. I have a set of Hella Micro DE Xenon's to put in with Garauld's brackets . . . if I can't find a place for the ballasts I am not going to be able to use these lights (I had a set of them on the old Concours, and while they can be pricey I got them for a steal and and they ROCK!!!!). But the problem is we set out on a 11,000 km ride starting on July 10 and I do NOT find the stock lighting to be adequate - not to mention that I have no idea yet whether the reflector will be suitable to North American roads!!

I will say that if the reflector is wrong, the dealer can swap it out!!!

More, as I embark on the reassembly process in the morning . . .

Last edited by a moderator:
Old eskimo adage...........

Inspect replacement part before tearing apart.

OK, I have it all buttoned up again and there were no leftover parts. I did manage to get one scratch on the left side lower cowling, though it isn't very noticeable.

I even decided to plug the 'auto down' connector back in because frankly I always ride with the shield down.

However . . . . .

1. I will have to test ride the machine tonight to check out the main reflectors to see what I have. I obviously left the parking bulbs disconnected.

2. I found a good place for the ballast on the left side of the bike - it is sitting next to the radiator cap.

The right side is another story. I managed to wedge it between the radiator and the lower cowling - you can see it through the opening and it is pressing on the plastics some.

Tonight is aiming night - then, when I get time, some photos of the finished installation. I couldn't be bothered to take pictues while I was working.

Has anyone installed ballasted lighting on a Gen-II and found a better spot for them on the right?

Has anyone installed ballasted lighting on a Gen-II and found a better spot for them on the right?
I believe so... on the right side, I placed one outboard of the battery:

100_0147.jpg

100_0148.jpg

This thread here may be of use to you:

Thread on installing HID ballasts on a Gen II bike

Thanks Warchild.

I had read those posts, but the Hellas come with full size Hella ballasts and they simply don't fit in the space . . . . I really don't feel like replacing brand new ballasts, but it seems almost cozy where it is if no one has found a better spot.

By the way, I was on the phone with FBA (Fastest Busa Around) when I got your post and he sends regards.

Just got back from an 'aiming ride'. the good news is that the reflector is for drive-on-the-right environments - it'd probably be neat to wire up the parking lights - but I don't have the matching connectors and there's really no point to them. I just hate to see a wasted bulb.

The H4 original bulbs (which come with the reflector, interesting enough) are so completely yellow when compared to the 'blue xenon' 55/60 bulbs I had before. I still see the road fine, but it is REALLY yellow when compared to what it was with the old reflector.

The driving lights work just fine - I suppose something with a huge reflector would throw more light forward, then again I have four times as much light from these than what the stock bulb delivers - so it IS a lot brighter, which was the goal.

It occurs to me that even if I haven't taken and posted photos of the FJR installation, you can see what they are from the shots of my Concours . . . . if you are interested.