(Split) Motoport or Aerostich?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amansker

Reaction score
I'm going to Motoport in San Marcos this afternoon. Plan to buy some Kevlar mesh pants. Some have claimed these are comparable to Aerostitch, but I wouldn't know.

Neil SD was wearing their gear on our ride to Idylwild.

https://motoport.com/

In MHO, Motoport products are far superior to Aerostich. My 1 piece Aerostitch never fit and was unbearable hot (with our Southern humidity) at anything over 80 degrees. You can buy the Motoport in a mesh so it is comfortable during any hot weather, and the liner will keep you dry when it rains and with a warm inner layer will keep you warm in any weather. Plus my Motoport, which they will make for your measurements, fit me like a glove--even with a stock size. The Aerostitch requires two sets of riding gear (another for warm weather). My Motoport gives it all to me. And according to their advertising, the Kevlar should provide much better crash protection. Luckily I haven't tried that out yet! You owe it to yourself to at least take a look. www.motoport.com. I wish I had found them before I bought an Aerostich.

Tom

Far superior? Really? I find that statement to be "far" fetched. Granted, these are two completely different items.

I've known 2 different folks who had Motoport gear. Both of these folks sold it to someone else, either because the kevlar mesh was too uncomfortable OR didn't flow enough air.

I was told that the suit was not as "custom" as advertised, either.

I have also hear that the liners are a waste of money. This is just someone else's account... not mine.

Do not get me wrong. Motoport is top of the line gear & I am absolutely not putting it down. I'd really like to have a set of motoport gear... but gonna' get a "Stich" first... but far superior? Welll, I don't know about all that.

Last edited by a moderator:
As I said, "in my humble opinion." I've owned both--in my opinion the fit on the Motoport is far superior. After numerous discussions with Aerostitch customer service reps, my Roadcrafter still bound unbearably just above the bicep on the outside of the arm when stretched to the handlebars. I couldn't ride in warm or hot weather with the Stich, but with the Motoport I'm comfortable in the rain, at 30 degrees and below, and at 104 degrees at high humidity (well, relatively comfortable). I don't find the Kevlar mesh to be uncomfortable with a short-sleeve shirt--there is a mesh fabric liner that provides a cushion. (In fact, I need to get my Aerostich into the classifieds!) So, as an owner of both, in my humble opinion, not anyone else's, the Motoport is vastly superior.

Tom

In MHO, Motoport products are far superior to Aerostich.
Sure, *IF* you can get it... I've got a Canyon II jacket and LOVED it and badly wanted another one, but it was always "out of stock" on their website.

I emailed the guy trying to find out, and he turned out to be a bit of an snotty asshole before finally admitting they could no longer get the same stuff they used on the Canyon II and would never be making it again.

I see they've FINALLY updated their website after several years of being incorrect. I'm certainly never dealing with that company ever again. I'd drive to Duluth (from Florida) first...

I've never owned either, but found lots of comments posted in forums over the past several years. They are overwhelmingly positive about the end product (mixed reviews on response time, communication, etc. with the company and the web site sucks). One or two people preferred the Motoport over Stitch and vice-versa. I'm certainly comfortable investing in the Motoport.

After viewing an image of mesh kevlar showing the ventilation, I cannot imagine complaints about the air-flow. Sorry, cannot find it now. That was a link in a long thread.

Andy

I've known 2 different folks who had Motoport gear. Both of these folks sold it to someone else, either because the kevlar mesh was too uncomfortable OR didn't flow enough air.
Do not get me wrong. Motoport is top of the line gear & I am absolutely not putting it down. I'd really like to have a set of motoport gear... but gonna' get a "Stich" first... but far superior? Welll, I don't know about all that.

Crash Cash,

Sorry to hear about your experience with Motoport. I've read several comments similar to yours. Luckily I had great service with my air mesh outfit and found them to be very helpful.

Amansker,

The air flow is dandy. No complaints. I think as good as a Joe Rocket Phoenix.

Tom

I have both. I use both.

The Kevlar mesh works very well in the hot weather, but it is a bit harder to get in and out of than my 'Stitch. I rode my 'Stitch all the way to Calgary last Aug (about 5k miles), and it did very well untill it got over 90 in Utah. I have worn my 'Stitch in 114 deg weather, and it's not very comphy. When I leave for my 2 weeks to include NAFO, I'm only taking the Kevlar mesh and the liners. That will be the real test for Motoport, until then I only have the local runs in temps around 110.

Ohh, and great service from them too btw. YMMV

I have owned Motoport's Kevlar Mesh gear for almost a year now, however I have never owned Aerostich gear.

With that said, the gear is OK, here's what I don't like:

-The gear is made in China, so I don't know how it's considered custom.

-The material seems to fray at the seams a lot, which is unacceptable for this supposelly high qualty gear.

- Luvtoride is right, the liners are a waste of money mainly because the pants liner is such a PIA to take on and off (the velcro sticks to everything!!!), and the jacket/pants liner's zipper are real flimsy.

- I own the 3/4 length jacket and there's no protection for your tank's paint if you decide to unbutton the bottom button and zip it up when it's hot.

- There's no way to tighten the wrists of jacket up other than the preset buttons that are an inch apart. Why not use velcro here!! Anyway, when wearing full length gloves you have to tuck them inside the jacket instead of out.

- There's no water resistant pocket in the jacket.

- Again IMO the price is way too high for a so called custom outfit that's made in China!!!!

The things I like:

- I did have an unexpected low side dis-mount (I was only going maybe 20 mph) which I landed and slid on my knees. The gear (knees) held up great with just a little bit of fraying on the knee caps. It must be because of the Kevlar!!!

- The pants and Jacket (not liners) fit fine. It did take some time to get use to the weight and the material.

- When the gear gets wet it doesn't take long for it to dry.

- I do believe the gear is one of best out there for protection in a crash.

- So far Wayne at Motorport seems to be a good guy to do business with.

-The gear is made in China, so I don't know how it's considered custom.
If your measurements aren't handled by something off the shelf (and in alot of cases with the 3/4 jacket, you fit in a stock size), Wayne will make a jacket for you. Yeah, it's made in china -- but by all accounts quality didn't suffer when he moved the bulk work offshore. And, for any custom tailored items, that's done in house.

-The material seems to fray at the seams a lot, which is unacceptable for this supposelly high qualty gear.
Man, I hear ya. It is a real pain, but like me, you probably use the shat out of the garmet. I agree that it could be a little sturdier, but given the wear I put on my gear, Joe Rocket and Tourmaster and all the other ones would be in peices. And, remember, call Wayne: he'll fix it. I know it's a PITA, I'm right there with you. But, for the protection offered, totally worth it.

- Luvtoride is right, the liners are a waste of money mainly because the pants liner is such a PIA to take on and off (the velcro sticks to everything!!!), and the jacket/pants liner's zipper are real flimsy.
Ok, I'm on the fence here. I agree wholeheartedly that the pant liner is the biggest pain in my ass since my last 'checkup' -- BUT -- once the liner is in, it works. Same with the jacket liner. It works. I've been through some gulley washer storms and the liners did their thing. The 'thermal' liner is worthless, since what you really want is a heated vest under there.

I haven't had any problems with any of the zippers (1 year, daily use plus 15K worth of LD rides)

- I own the 3/4 length jacket and there's no protection for your tank's paint if you decide to unbutton the bottom button and zip it up when it's hot.
Tankslapper, or any of the others. You should have it anyhow, and then this becomes a moot (or 'moo' for all you Friends fans) point.

- There's no way to tighten the wrists of jacket up other than the preset buttons that are an inch apart. Why not use velcro here!! Anyway, when wearing full length gloves you have to tuck them inside the jacket instead of out.
This was your mistake. If you real all the threads on ST.N and ADV (and here, in fact), you can customize the jacket damn near any way you want. You can get him to put velcro or snaps or both anywhere you want it, no extra charge.

Volumes can be written on the case of gauntlets, jacket sleeves and the adventures within. Ugh.

- There's no water resistant pocket in the jacket.
I know, WTF?? I didn't ask about this, but seriously... WTF! Actually, if you ask nicely and for a small fee, he'll put one inside your rain liner. :)

- Again IMO the price is way too high for a so called custom outfit that's made in China!!!!
Well, there's no competition for a like product, so, the market bears his price. And given the proven track record for protection, I think it's reasonable. Very much so, and many agree. But, it's someones duty to always bitch about prices, so...

I can say from watching someone in motoport gear go pavement sliding at 80mph -- it's the only gear I'll wear. Mine remains untested, thankfully.

Ngarider,

You're right I should state that I never did ask Wayne if I could return the gear to get those things stated earlier changed to my satisfaction. I know he would of been happly to do it for a small fee, but I didn't want to be without the gear or spend more money.

You are right in fact that the liners do work as advertised, however I think there could of been a better way to get the right legs zipper to zip or line up.. I too ride 20k+ miles a year and sometimes get frustrated with the time it takes to but the gear on with the liners.

As for bitching about the price.. Since this was my first expensive suit I just expected a little more qualty and thought but into it for the money that I spent.

Ok, I'll add my $.02.

As far as the liners, I have just the rain liners. The liner for the pants will be worn only in the winter. I have much more efficient insulating garments than the thermoloft stuf Wayne sells. So far, I like the idea of the rain jacket on the inside as it dries off really fast once it has stopped raining. As for air flow, mine is all black and have had it in 103 degree temps with east coast humidity 85%+ and as long as I was moving, was suprisingly comfortable. It does flow a lot of air. As for the stiffness of the material, I was disappointed at first because I did not see how this stuff could ever get softer. I wear my stuff every day, rain or shine and I have forgotten about it being stiff as it has relaxed alot. I got the police kevlar mesh pants as I did not want overpants and with running shorts under the kevlar, it is cooler than jeans. Mine was made in house because I had a quite a few custom options, I even spoke to someone there while my gear was being made. Wayne is not all touchy feely or mister sunshine. He was all business and did not offer any info that I did not ask for, but was helpful. I got my order in just before a large police order and got my stuff when promised. As for cost, it was not much more than leather, which would be my only option if I lived in a cooler climate. The seams were not quite a neat as I would have liked, but they have not started to fray at all.

I will say that the web site is not very helpful aven with the updates. You have to call and discuss what you want and ask everything. I found that some of the pics are styles not even offered. Take nothing for granted. I know that this is not technically good customer service, but many folks who are good at what they do, or are tradesman, are not good salemen. I must say that my exerience went off without a hitch.

Add>>>the cuff issue, I specifically had them make the cuff differently than Wayne described to me, I can get gauntlets over them without much to-do.

The garmets are not perfect, but as I stated elsewhere, I bought into the technology. I try on gear where ever I go and so far do like the Motoport stuff better than most everything out there.

I own the MotoPort jacket and pants. Also have the rain pant liner.

Have friends that wear Aerostitch. Both are quality products. Living in the south there is no way I could wear the warmer Aero gear. I notice my friends tend to shed theirs when it gets hot as well. Their kinda snooty BMW types and just call it taking a calculated risk when off.

I discovered that the rain liners are very easy to get in and out of by trial and error. I do not zip them in I just put them on first then the Kevlar pants. Not bad at all. The Velcro is sticky and if it bothers you you could put some blue masking tape on a portion of it. It is hidden so who knows.

I also ride with short pants underneath to help cooling as well and it works. The place where this stuff will get warm is where the armor is located. But when moving cools like any other ventilated piece. :yahoo:

I haven't tried the motoport stuff but on hot days, it seems like a good alternative to my stich.

But then I remember the days of riding with joe rocket mesh gear with liners, and when the skies darken or I go up a mountiain over a range to the coast and the temps change signficantly, I'm always wondering if I should pull over and put the liners in. It became a constant battle of "shoudl I pull over or risk getting wet (or cold)" ? The Stich solved that dicussion for me - and when it gets hot, I'm glad I have the stock shield on the feejer, and just sweat it out. Literally.

Another thing to consider is dehydration. When I last wore mesh I was going through the southwest. After an 800-mile day I thought I was comming down with the flu - could barely function to set up tent, make food, etc. Drank a gallon of water and woke up in the morning fine ... that's when I realized that I was severely dehydrated, which probably exacerbated any heat issues. With the 'stich, I get hot, but dehyration isn't an issue.

Plus .. can't argue with how easy the 1-peice roadcrafter is to don / doff. Makes it super easy to slip it off at a stop and cool off, or ride to work (or a client) in the cool morning with nice pants and button up shirt and not get splattered with bugs.

I'm still waiting for the next gen Goretex-like-stuff with pores that open or close based on temperature ...

I met with Wayne at MotoPort yesterday, got the "lecture", tour and ordered some pants. During our brief phone call, first encounter, he sounded like the distant, business only guy I've heard others speak of. In person, however, he was very personable. Wayne, myself and SEO chatted away for 1.5 hours and we never felt rushed or pushed. The "lecture" was interesting and enjoyable. I think he is a business man trying to fill too many shoes.

I mentioned the web site and he is frustrated too. They are making changes as we speak.

In my research it was common for people to say the MotoPort beats the Aerostitch hands down for cooling. When it is 110F it is going to be hot no matter what you wear or what you ride. I was riding in 114F weather and expecting it to cool a bit once I got moving, but the faster I rode it was like someone turning up the blast furnace in my face. The ole' CB750 was pinging away. I got sick from hyperthermia near Needles, CA and Laughlin, NV once and it was not pretty. I was drinking (water) heavily, but should have drank more. Black leather pants are not good for Death Valley!

Anyway, he is doing a minor mod on some pants in stock and I should have them for Saturday's ride.

Motoport modified the kevlar mesh pants and had them back to me in three days. Wore them 500 miles over the weekend. In short, I'm real happy.

Weather was 84'ish with full sun throughout the weekend, though we rode coastal, mountain, and inland canyons so there was some variation. I wore North Face synthetic hiking shorts underneath.

Pants are a bit stiff, as expected, but not noticeable while on the bike. Putting the pants on was easy after a bit of experience. I always hate long zippers because there is a chance of them hanging, etc. These easily zipped up and down - never a snag or slow-down at all.

Most of what I already read is applicable - stiffness, fit, etc. The down side to these pants is after wearing them for two hours it became clear that I need to shell out $429 to buy the jacket. I've always been very happy with my Joe Rocket Revolution jacket, but the ventilation is weak in hot weather. Now I know just how weak it is. My body/skin temp under the jacket changed frequently due to sweat, ventilation, no ventilation while stopped, etc. Stop/slow and sweat profusely, start riding and freeze as the sweat is blown away. I always took this to be normal, but the mesh pants behave very differently. My legs were essentially a consistent ambient temperature. Off the bike and in the sun there was very minor sweating which quickly went away and stayed away once the riding started. While riding, my upper body was sweating and going through cycles, but the legs were always comfy.

Also noticed no significant difference in sweating/temp under the armor areas. Lots of armor on these. I always thought of the soft armor as being weak. Wayne had me hold a piece of their armor over the sharp edge of a commercial steel door jam and punch it with my fist. The ability of the armor to absorb the blow was impressive.

From what I've read, these should age well - they should for $289. Repairs are only 9 miles down the road which is convenient for me.

BTW - Wayne said the price of all his gear is going up in price soon.