"Shift 48"

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike P

Reaction score
I searched using several terms but what is "Shift 48".

I had it show on me this morning rinding in single temps when I came to a stop after downshifting from 5 to 1. I was able to get around it by cycleling the ignition.

OMG, SHIFT 48!!! Breath deep, calm thyself. Now bump your idle speed up to 1,100 and the error will be gone. This is the error code for low idle speed. :) What is your idle speed currently set to?

BTW, this site will not allow two letters/digits as a valid search term, but you can do this: goto google.com and in the search window type in shift 48 site:fjrforum.com and it will get the hits you are looking for.

Not a bad reply for a Friday, eh?

Last edited by a moderator:
OMG, SHIFT 48!!! Breath deep, calm thyself. Now bump your idle speed up to 1,100 and the error will be gone. This is the error code for low idle speed. :) What is your idle speed currently set to?
BTW, this site will not allow two letters/digits as a valid search term, but you can do this: goto google.com and in the search window type in shift 48 site:fjrforum.com and it will get the hits you are looking for.

Not a bad reply for a Friday, eh?
It was at 1100 BUT I did not notice if it was low this moring. Thanks for the reply and I always forget to use the search method in that manner because this is the only forum I've ever been involved with that reminds people that method works.

Yes and that wasn't bad for Friday.

This is a follow up after me asking what SH 48 is.

Brief description, had the AE almost a year w/o any issue have always used the hand shifter.

Rode to work this morning in the single digit temps, after HWY run at red light on the off ramp SH 48 came up as I was sitting there in 1st. Cycled the key and it went away then went another 5 miles to work still using the hand shift.

Got to work posted up what it was, got a reply, read up on it when I had a chance and was satisfied that either something weird happened causing my idle speed to drop low or maybe the bike wasn't warm enough before I left the house.

Fast forward to the ride home......

I let the bike warm up completely, engaged hand shift put it in 1st and I saw the yellow light flicker just a tad, then a second or two later it went solid and SH 48 came back up. Cycled the key again and took off. Next stop sign, idle between 1100-1200 48 came up yet again, this time after I started it and engaged hand shift I noticed the rpm's went up just a tad. Took off again, next red light same thing but noticed the yellow flicker before going solid and coming up with 48.

Started one more time, didn't engage hand shift and rode the rest of the way home using the foot shifter w/o any further issue.

After getting in the driveway I engaged the shift switch and tried to recreate the issue w/o any luck.

Besides low idle what can cause SH 48 to show up? I'd like to take care of the issue myself even if it is an issue that can be handled with Y.E.S. unless it's just stupid expensive because my local dealer is a joke.

Friday :yahoo: Geez Mike I dunno. But, since ya got three threads goin aboot it so "helpfull" soul should be along shortly....

:jester:

Friday :yahoo: Geez Mike I dunno. But, since ya got three threads goin aboot it so "helpfull" soul should be along shortly....

I got two going, figured no one that could help would look at the first one again. Only mentioned it in another thread, in another area but didn't focus the topic on it.

So come on Friday people.....let me have it! :assassin:

But help me out in the process if you can. :clapping:

Do you notice any other symptoms with the engine?

I'm thinking that maybe you got some bad fuel or even a little bit if ice crystals in the tank causing the idle to drop momentarily.

The FSM says that SH_48 is:

* engine idle speed-check and adjust engine idle speed, ref,pg.3-10.

* defective fast idle unit- replace the throttle bodies. ref., pg. 7-5.

Of course we hope the FSM missed something simple like a loose vacuum hose, loose connector or gas related as Geezer says.

Wait until the light of a warmer day before condemning any of your FJR's systems. It could be that at the very cold air temps the ECU is expecting to have elevated cold start idle speed except the thermostat is open and the radiator is hot. I wonder if Yamaha's ECU programmers expected intake air to be 0 degrees with the thermostat open?

The FSM says that SH_48 is:
* engine idle speed-check and adjust engine idle speed, ref,pg.3-10.

* defective fast idle unit- replace the throttle bodies. ref., pg. 7-5.

Of course we hope the FSM missed something simple like a loose vacuum hose, loose connector or gas related as Geezer says.

Wait until the light of a warmer day before condemning any of your FJR's systems. It could be that at the very cold air temps the ECU is expecting to have elevated cold start idle speed except the thermostat is open and the radiator is hot. I wonder if Yamaha's ECU programmers expected intake air to be 0 degrees with the thermostat open?
I finally read about the addition of the TB's.

I've already told myself I was not going to do anything until a warmer day. The arctic blast is supposed to gone from here this weekend. Sunday is expected 50 degrees. I'll take it out then and see what's up before reporting back or pursuing this any further because nothing about the bike has been changed except oil in about 5k since my last TBS and plug change.

Thanks for merging my two threads.

One thing though...........

I could have sworn this morning when it first happened it said "SHIFT48" and then the other times just "SH 48". Is that possible or am I playing mind games with myself?

...I could have sworn this morning when it first happened it said "SHIFT48" and then the other times just "SH 48". Is that possible or am I playing mind games with myself?
That is only between you and your overworked, under paid mental therapist. :unsure:

I could have sworn this morning when it first happened it said "SHIFT48" and then the other times just "SH 48". Is that possible or am I playing mind games with myself?
I think your answer lies here..

[SIZE=12pt]with out my beer I am useless. [/SIZE]

:lol:

Couldn't resist, took it for a short trip this morning to friends house in 35ish degrees. All was well getting there and another short trip from there to a store and back. Got back home went inside for about 15 minutes, came back out to park it back in the garage.............as soon as I tried to put it in gear no response then I saw the yellow flicker then boom, code back up.

Not knowing exactly what the issue is that has suddenly showed up and having a pathetic local dealer has me concerned. I would be scared to take this thing on any sort of road trip at the moment.

My '07 AE had the SH__48 error a few times and I believe it says SH__48 on one line, and then it says SHIFT directly below that on a second line, where the odometer readout normally is.

FWIW, the fix in my case was to LOWER the idle, not raise it. When warmed up, the idle was about as close to 1100 as it could get, so I lowered it to an indicated 1025 RPM and it's been working perfectly ever since.

I don't think this means the blanket advice is to lower the RPM when SH__48 shows up, but rather to make sure the idle is within the specified range. Who knows, it could be that an idle that's too low will also cause the same error condition. Well, I'm sure someone here knows, but it ain't me.