Trying to find two roads

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BwanaDik

Reaction score
I drove over both of these roads many years ago in my cage (Saab 900 turbo) coming back from the Starlight Rallye which I'd just finished in Vegas. Going back to New Orleans.

On the first, IIRC, I was on a two lane road, mostly desert-ish rolling-ish terrain, heading generally East, and passed over a deep, very narrow canyon (Virgin River? Not the part on I-15 into Vegas). I think it had a suspension bridge over it. All there was around it was a small Indian trading post (remember, this was probably about 1987 or so). Then I started up a long, long grade with a bunch of sweepers which gradually went from high desert terrain to densely forrested mountain. I think there was a big Forrest Service campground at the top. It was decieving as the incline was pretty steep but I don't recall any "snow covered peaks" poking up anywhere, just a steady climb and then I was in the mountains. Possibly Hwy 9 into Zion?

The second may have been out of the back (east side) of Cedar City (?). All I remember was it was a small, hard to find road out of the back of the town and it had one of those "Sharp curves next XX miles, Tractor trailers and motorhomes over XX feet not allowed" or something like that. Started up the hill from a "T" intersection off a larger (not too large) main road. I was glad I had a turbocharged car as it got way up there in elevation and the turbo helped a lot. Possibly Hwy 14 into Cedar Breaks?

I may find myself in northern Utah this summer for work and hope to take the Feejer both up and back. I'd like to find these roads again and plan to ride them home. A little out of the way but, heck, why not?

This is like Joe Bob's "Name That Flick"

To make this even more of a challenge gang, I took a look at Google Earth this afternoon and neither of the routes I listed above looked small enough. Hwy 9 appears to have too many "outcroppings", i.e., between big peaks and Hwy 14 looks too big.

BD,

That's quite a challenge. Some of your descriptions sound like the souhtwestern part of the state near Capitol Reef but I can't put my finger on it. If you know some more town names that might narrow it down.

I know the feeling about wanting to visit that same place you saw years ago but the reality is that you can't go wrong driving a Feej through Utah. I've found some beauties here but for me the crown jewel is UT-12, Torrey to Bryce.

If you're in the Salt Lake area drop me a line (I'm also on the assistance list). You're welcome to garage space, futon and whatever I've got in the fridge/bar. Good hunting!

Thanks for the link! I'll check it out in more detail. I'll give you a shout if I get up there.

I was hoping the description of the bridge over the narrow, deep canyon would help. Can't be too many of those out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
<snip>...On the first, IIRC, I was on a two lane road, mostly desert-ish rolling-ish terrain, heading generally East, and passed over a deep, very narrow canyon ... All there was around it was a small Indian trading post Then I started up a long, long grade with a bunch of sweepers which gradually went from high desert terrain to densely forrested mountain. I think there was a big Forrest Service campground at the top. The second may have been out of the back (east side) of Cedar City (?). All I remember was it was a small, hard to find road out of the back of the town and it had one of those "Sharp curves next XX miles, Tractor trailers and motorhomes over XX feet not allowed" or something like that.
Well, the mind can play tricks -- when trying to remember after 20+ years.

My mind sees (the first road) as U.S. Alternate 89 in Northern AZ -- the Marble Canyon bridge over the Colorado R.; the forested mountain and Jacob Lake; trading post somewhere nearby. I know, the direction's not right for the events as you stated them -- but, it's all there.

My mind sees (the second road) as the 'hard-to-find' entrance to UT 14 eastbound from Cedar City -- I remember looking for that, myself. And, that road can be challenging as it climbs up into the forest (especially, in a car).

In any event, you'll probably enjoy riding around -- looking for them...?

You mentioned Cedar Breaks -- some roads in Utah are really high altitude and can have snow -- when you really wouldn't expect it. Once Summer really hits, you're probably okay.

Good luck with your search.

I think this is the bridge I was thinking of near Capitol Reef. Beemerdons right, 128 along the Colorado river is spectacular. I'm jonesin' for a ride pretty bad right about now. :rolleyes:

<snip>...On the first, IIRC, I was on a two lane road, mostly desert-ish rolling-ish terrain, heading generally East, and passed over a deep, very narrow canyon ... All there was around it was a small Indian trading post Then I started up a long, long grade with a bunch of sweepers which gradually went from high desert terrain to densely forrested mountain. I think there was a big Forrest Service campground at the top. The second may have been out of the back (east side) of Cedar City (?). All I remember was it was a small, hard to find road out of the back of the town and it had one of those "Sharp curves next XX miles, Tractor trailers and motorhomes over XX feet not allowed" or something like that.
Well, the mind can play tricks -- when trying to remember after 20+ years.

My mind sees (the first road) as U.S. Alternate 89 in Northern AZ -- the Marble Canyon bridge over the Colorado R.; the forested mountain and Jacob Lake; trading post somewhere nearby. I know, the direction's not right for the events as you stated them -- but, it's all there.

My mind sees (the second road) as the 'hard-to-find' entrance to UT 14 eastbound from Cedar City -- I remember looking for that, myself. And, that road can be challenging as it climbs up into the forest (especially, in a car).

In any event, you'll probably enjoy riding around -- looking for them...?

You mentioned Cedar Breaks -- some roads in Utah are really high altitude and can have snow -- when you really wouldn't expect it. Once Summer really hits, you're probably okay.

Good luck with your search.

I think you may be correct. I stumbled across the Marble Canyon pictures while searching Google. Looks about right. And 14 out of Cedar City may be right too, if you had a hard time finding it too. Although the bridge near Capitol Reef sure looks interesting.

Good sleuthing guys! Indeed, thanks for the tips, planning the trip now to at least hit all the possibilities. Tough duty! I'll drop you a PM this Spring when I'm planning to head that way

You may have been on 143 from Ceder to Panguitch to answer the first question and on 276 which passes the Trading Post u mention. Hey I'm riding from Syrucuse (UT) to Jacob Lake in June via 89. How is that route?

You may have been on 143 from Ceder to Panguitch to answer the first question and on 276 which passes the Trading Post u mention. Hey I'm riding from Syrucuse (UT) to Jacob Lake in June via 89. How is that route?
143 sure looks like the right size road and turn off, I'll check it out on Google. Where is 276? What town does it transit?

Thanks!

I've found some beauties here but for me the crown jewel is UT-12, Torrey to Bryce.
I must agree. Photos from the top of the mesa on Hwy 12 are 1st 2 pictures here https://www.concours.org/scrapbook/

That ride was 13 years ago and that stretch of road still remembered fondly. The section of road on the top of the mesa as it ends, with no guardrail on either side and really steep drops (both sides) where the ashphalt ends- what a blast!