Cee Bailey +4 +3 with flip impressions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boaks

Reaction score
This is for those of you like me that have been researching and researching and researching looking for the "perfect" windscreen and were just afraid to pull the trigger. Well I finally pulled it and I don't regret my choice at all.

I'm 210 lbs, 6' tall with 33 inch inseam. My stock seat is set in the high position. I went from the stock screen to the CB +4+3 with flip and what a difference! The fit and finish of the shield is perfect. I purchased the light tint.

When the shield is in the 3/4-full up position, I get no buffeting at all and the sound is VERY similar to have the window cracked in a car, seriously. It's so quite that I can actually hear the wind coming under the screen and through the vent under the dash. I have noticed sounds that my bike makes during riding that I have never heard before. I tested these positions from 0-100 mph and it was very comfortable. My favorite position for the screen in about 3/4 up, it's still very very comfortable. I use and HJC Symax II helmet without earplugs to give you and idea that it's not my helmet that this shield is everything that i hoped for.

When the shield is in the full up position the very top of the screen feels just under my line of sight. This is one of the reasons that I like the 3/4 up position. There really is no difference in comfort levels between full up and 3/4.

I have ridden about 1 hour with the shield so far mostly on the slab and some in the city. I am going on a 5 hour ride this Sunday and so I hope to have an even better feel for it after that. The shield seems to be a little large, but does not distract from the overall look of the FJR. It will take a little getting used to. Last year I thought the FJR felt like a HUGE bike coming from sportbikes and I know I'll get over it.

I hope this helps some of you. I know how daunting a windscreen choice can be. It is a very personal choice but I'm quite sure I picked right the first time! If you have any questions please ask and I'll do my best to answer!

The next farkels.... a Givi top trunk and GPS... sigh this never ends does it... B)

p.s. can someone give me a link to get grip puppies? the website i find online seems "not right" if you know what i mean

Last edited by a moderator:
How about in the full down position? Enough air for hot weather riding? I'm a few inches shorter than your 6' (well, like 5" shorter), so I'm considering the +2 +2 but want enough air in the summer. I've got a Corbin which is a bit lower than the stock seat.

I've got the +2+4 with the flip, am 5'9" and ride mostly 1/2 to 3/4. I have the same impressions you stated.

FJR Flyer, with my screen all the way down and a proper jacket, I'm sure I'll have enough air for the summer.

bob

My two cents worth, I got the 4"h x2"wide Cee Bailey a little while back, pretty well pleased but still think I picked

up extra end of bar buffeting over stock shield.

I rode in a substantial Texas rain and didn't like the way the water comes off it? BUT other than not much time

in the rain still better than stock so far.

My two cents worth, I got the 4"h x2"wide Cee Bailey a little while back, pretty well pleased but still think I pickedup extra end of bar buffeting over stock shield.

I rode in a substantial Texas rain and didn't like the way the water comes off it? BUT other than not much time

What?!?

:blink:

How about in the full down position? Enough air for hot weather riding? I'm a few inches shorter than your 6' (well, like 5" shorter), so I'm considering the +2 +2 but want enough air in the summer. I've got a Corbin which is a bit lower than the stock seat.
in the full down position, i still get a good amount of air. It's a little early in the season here in pa for me to be able to answer this, but i feel that there will be enough air for summer riding. I have mesh gear I wear in the summer. the +2 +2 sounds like it would be on the right lines for you

My two cents worth, I got the 4"h x2"wide Cee Bailey a little while back, pretty well pleased but still think I pickedup extra end of bar buffeting over stock shield.

thats why i went with the +3 on the width. I get no buffeting at the hands at all. there is only about 1 inch of the end of the bars that even get air.

So bummed out. Ordered a +4 +2 Flip about a 3 weeks ago. They delivered in about two weeks.... and it was the wrong windshield - a Gen II shield instead of the Gen I ordered for my '05.

Said they were going to send the shipper to pick it up and then replace it, and they were really nice on the phone, verifying their mistake... but a week later, no shipper has picked it up off my porch. Very, very disappointed, as I was really looking forward to having the thing in this cool spring weather. Looking forward, too, for having it for longer rides this summer.

I had asked them to ship another before they'd received mine with the RMA number. I've had other companies do this before. But they wouldn't have it.

I trust that these folks are fair business people, but I am not so impressed so far. Hope the shield will be worth it.

Are the Gen II's less prone to back pressure with aftermarket screens than Gen I? I wouldn't think of running my big screen without the spacer kit....

Are the Gen II's less prone to back pressure with aftermarket screens than Gen I? I wouldn't think of running my big screen without the spacer kit....
Got any info on the spacer kit? For Gen II's also?

Thanks....

Before the ride...

I took a couple of pics before we left on the sunday ride. As you can see there is no optical distortion while looking through the screen. I personally prefer the 3/4 position because i can look over the screen. When i was in the twisties on sunday, i lowered the screen a little more than 3/4 so i could read the pavement better.

overall a great purchase and very worth the money. My wife and I put on 225 miles from bedford PA - chambersburg and down into hagerstown MD back up on rt 11 N to rte 30 west back. It was a great day for a ride and the longest trip my wife has ever been along on. With the screen in the 3/4 position my wife said that there was no buffeting and she was very comfortable. she is 5'6" 120lbs.

enjoy! and ride safe

dsc0001uli.jpg

dsc0002bhz.jpg

dsc0003kxi.jpg

Stock overlay

dsc0006hpt.jpg

full down sitting

dsc0007h.jpg

3/4 up.. my fav position sitting

dsc0009xnp.jpg

Full up sitting

dsc0008crj.jpg

Thanks very much, especially the pics... I'm 6'2" and I get a good rumble from my OEM touring shield. I've been pondering this for a while and I think I'll go hit the Cee Bailey's site with my credit card right now. I really liked their shield for my V-strom. I was worried it'd look "too tall" but it looks great.

Edit: Actually, I'll get the +6 since the touring is already a +4.

boaks

The shield looks great. I can't tell from the pics, is the +3 as wide as the stock shield at the bottom?

Thanks very much, especially the pics... I'm 6'2" and I get a good rumble from my OEM touring shield. I've been pondering this for a while and I think I'll go hit the Cee Bailey's site with my credit card right now. I really liked their shield for my V-strom. I was worried it'd look "too tall" but it looks great.
It been my experience, along with other members, that the flip on the CB shield has the effect of adding 2 inches in height. In other words, the +4 high CB with flip will be like having a +6 Yami touring shield, but without all that extra actual height.

For me, my +2 high with flip CB shield was all I needed to get smooth air. :yahoo: I couldn't stand the stock shield. :angry2:

boaks
The shield looks great. I can't tell from the pics, is the +3 as wide as the stock shield at the bottom?
Thanks! The shield is exactly the same width at the bottom of the shield, ie where your hands are.. where the CB is measured at 3 inches wider is at the top of the shield. The filp does not add extra height. If you are 6'2" you would be good to go with the +6

Well, it arrived last night, and I put it on and rode to work today. (not letting small things like a broken collarbone stop me!)

Wow. Just... Wooowww... fricking windshield nirvana. I literally haven't had a bike this quiet at 70mph since my 750 Sabre with the Hondaline fairing 20 years ago. I was just hoping for "better" so I didn't expect "nearly perfect"

I do need to look through the top at full up, but it's not a problem, and the quiet is amazing.

It moves the back of my shirt a little, but when my collarbone finishes healing, I'll be able to wear my jacket again, so that's not a problem either. There's no "vacuum" behind me. Another good thing is it's ever so slightly narrower (1/4" or so?) than the Yamaha touring windshield, so it doesn't bump my DL-650 hand guards. I had to trim the touring windshield a little.

The only surprise is the little adhesive foam rubber insert, and no instructions on what to do with it. I took a SWAG and stuck it to the underside of the windshield.

As a data point, I'm 6'2" 260lbs, and I ride with the seat in the low position, and the bars in the middle position.