Gen II Givi Mount Options.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdisher

formerly Renegade, get used to it.
Reaction score
Aight, I currently have a Premier rack with Givi e250 plate on top of it. This rack was made specifically for this mounting plate. I got it when I got my 2006 in 2006. It works, but mounts using only the stock 3 bolts on the tail section.

I've used it now for oh a bunch of years, but I'm getting tired or people walking up to my bike and grabbing my top case cause it moves around significantly when I ride. (that is it flexes a ton).

I have gone so far as to smash some rubber feet under the aluminum plate between my stock tail pieces. I can't get them in or out but they'll be gone after a ride, so it's flexing enough to let those escape.

I'm looking at:

Option 1: Givi e228

Givie228.png

which is basically the same thing, except I think the mounting plate is better/stronger than the e250 plate that I have now. I'm not sure this will be a better deal. Anyone have this? It's like $99 online everywhere. It it rock solid or is it all flexy?

Option 2:

Givi_sr357.png

the SR357 kit which attaches to the sub frame and replaces the grab rail (less visually appealing but hey). (Includes the mount to) and is $135 all over the internets. I know this is rock solid, I've looked at some Gen1's mounted this way, but I end up with metal grab rails that aren't as sexy looking to me.

I'm leaning towards the latter unless someone else tells me the newer e228 is rock solid.

Thoughts?

Option 2 has more attachment points, so naturally it will be more solid than option 1. Unless they changed the design of option 1, you already have your ansewr.

Option 1 is fine. If you're worried about the "three bolts" attachment being weaker, it's not. You haven't removed the grab rails, so you still have a 5-bolt mount, just with an adapter tray on top of it.

The problem is when the stock rack with grab rails actually gets removed and then something that only attaches at the rear is used. That puts your entire load out behind the subframe. The grab rails carry some of that load forward.

So option 1 is OK sub-frame-wise, but it's still based on the stock plastic rack and grab rail. The Givi rack is significantly stronger. Yammy's stated lawyer-accepted top case load limit is 7 pounds, Givi's stated limit is 13. Nearly double. Works for me!!!

The setup I have is basically both of those together, except I don't think the plate from option 1 (labelled as "2" in the pic) is there.

It's rock solid and nothing moves unexpectedly.

Option 3 - Get the larger premier rack and the givi kit for the rack.
Rack

Kit for mounting to rack.
I looked at those options. My first option was to try and add the Givi mounting paraphernalia to the rack I have now. But Duane informed me that it won't work, there's holes where there needs to not be holes in the original rack.

I'm also concerned about the flex, I have a Premier rack now, and it flexes quite a bit. Both of the Givi options are cheaper. Seems to me they weren't when I bought the Premier rack the first time which is why I went that way. But I could be wrong.

I tend to do things the hard way... the cheap way first then the good way the 2nd time.

I think the premier racks are outstanding if you're not using a hard case and are strapping a bag to it. I'm not ragging on Premiers racks, I just don't like the flex in the one I have (with the E250 Givi mount). It's always been that way. I haven't broken anything yet, but I can feel it back there more and more.

(No my sub isn't broken yet)