Lost a brother rider on a Bay Area freeway this morning

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Burleigh

Reaction score
As many of you know I am one of many full-time commuters on the forum. I may do some bone-headed things from time to time, but one rule I never break is splitting lanes next to one, let alone two, moving trucks--and the longer the truck is the more cautious I am. Trucks are kryptonite to my motorcycle advantage on the freeway. Here's more evidence to stay away from trucks! (And then there's that speed differential....)

SAN LEANDRO — 9-11-09 -
A motorcyclist was killed in San Leandro after losing control while splitting lanes on southbound Interstate 880 this morning, authorities said. The man's identity is being withheld until the next of kin are notified.

The two left lanes of southbound I-880 were closed north of Davis Street from 7:30 to 9:15 a.m., backing up traffic and causing 40-minute delays.

At 7:27 a.m., traffic was moving at about 40 to 50 miles per hour when the motorcyclist — traveling at approximately 70 miles per hour — drove between the two fast lanes north of the Davis Street exit, California Highway Patrol Officer Cristina Tagle said. He apparently clipped a white 24-foot box truck in the No. 2 lane and then struck a black Volvo in the No. 1 lane, Tagle said.

He lost control, may have been thrown from his motorcycle, and later was pronounced dead at the scene. He didn't appear to be run over, Tagle said.
Here's the discussion on BARF.

Last edited by a moderator:
Horrible, and having grown up very nearby that exit, I know that 880 in general is one of the deadliest freeways in America.

Still wish we could lane share in MA, though I'd certainly be more conservative than to do it at 70mph.

Sorry to hear that James and special prayers to his family and friends :( .....880 is one wicked road and now has major dips and cracking in the roadway due to settling and Cali's lack of funds to maintain this and other roads.

CHP bud who works the bay area says he hears of a downed motorcycle almost everyday on his radio. His main job is working the scales at various sites (D.O.T. ie SS trooper as truckers call them), so he is real familiar with trucks and the danger of them on the roadways. And he is road captain in our CMA chapter.

He always says CHP are looking for motorcyclists sharing lanes and rule of thumb is don't lane share (split) if traffic is moving at 35 mph or greater. And when you do share lanes don't go more than 10 mph faster than the other vehicles are traveling around you, don't match speed of other vehicles when sharing, stay out of blind spots, have your high beams on and lastly stay away from trucks if possible. Follow these rules and your safety margin is greatly increased. Ride safe, PM. <>< ;)

Tragic someone lost their brother/son/husband/friend..... lane-splitting with Long Heavies with a 30mph differential seems problematic to me.

Pretty sure I would not commute on a bike if forced to relocate down there.

Prayers for family and friends. :rip_1:

Major bummer. A very good friend of mine lives in the San Francisco area and used to commute on her motorcycle about 2/3rds of the time. She never lane shared because she was too worried about all of the little things that could go wrong.

Condolences to the rider's family. :(

Horrible, and having grown up very nearby that exit, I know that 880 in general is one of the deadliest freeways in America.
Still wish we could lane share in MA, though I'd certainly be more conservative than to do it at 70mph.
Are we talking about the land of the missing turn signal? Where no one knows what those reflective things are for? Where polishing the nails, texting, and reading a good novel simultaneously is the norm?

I can just see some clown splitting lanes at speed on the fellsway, or the parkways in Medford, or C1 in Reveah...

Maybe on the Interstates, but even that gives me the willies...

Damn sorry to hear about that; I always hate to hear of anyone injured or killed while riding. I can't commute to work on a bike anymore, I drive an F350 service truck, but I see bikes commuting every day in the horrible D.C./northern VA traffic I drive in, and my hat's off to anyone with the guts and dedication to ride in that mess.

RIP, rider. Condolences to family, co-workers and friends

Damn sorry to hear about that; I always hate to hear of anyone injured or killed while riding. I can't commute to work on a bike anymore, I drive an F350 service truck, but I see bikes commuting every day in the horrible D.C./northern VA traffic I drive in, and my hat's off to anyone with the guts and dedication to ride in that mess.
Once a rider gets accustomed to the tactic and uses his/her brain, it's not that bad. Seeing many people applying make-up, reading books/papers, talking on cell phones, using their laptop, etc., while commuting and taking into account the many rear-end accidents.....I'll stake my future on my ability to lane split.

TRUCKS: I've read a number of posts here and on the BARF thread that assumes these were tractor-trailers (big rigs). From the reports they were "box vans"...you know...24' delivery van like a large U-haul, not "rigs".

Still, passing any type of large vehicle (bus, van, large pickup, big rig) takes forethought. Lately, some of the commuter buses have slowed to allow me to pass in a "clear" spot and continue in the commuter lane of the freeway. They don't HAVE to do this...I always give them a "thank you" wave.

SPEED: IF, as some reports state, traffic was moving @ 50 mph and he was splitting @ 70 mph on THAT freeway..... :dribble:

I'll admit to having passed a 50 mph commuter lane cage when there was a mile of space ahead of them as the traffic ahead was accelerating away after the congestion areas were cleared (Hwy 99 South of Mack Rd.). However, I am aware of the places the lanes are "tighter" and where the lane width/shoulder width is greater.

Dang sad!

While visiting family on the west coast this summer, I noticed it was common practice for mc to split the lanes, thought it was way too risky. As I learned on this forum, that lane splitting is okay in cali, I thought oh well, that's cool, but not for me. Have to trust way too many people for a safe passby. Of course when it's 90+ temps, then who wouldn't split a lane to not have to stand still.

Prayers to his family and friends, tragic any way it happens.

Let's face it. The truck had nothing to do with it. The speed and location (880 Are you kidding me?) had everything to do with it.

I've split lanes for 10's of thousands of miles over the years and only had 1 truly close call. And that was some jackass who decided to intentionally switch lanes for the entertainment of his passenger.

The biggest advantage to splitting lanes is the fact that all your senses are on high alert. I've never been more aware of every condition of every inch of pavement as well as every nuance of every cager's habits as when I'm splitting lanes.

To be sure, I'd rather traffic was flowing at or above the posted limit, but when it isn't, the only safe place is between the cars. Oh and the trucks.

Sorry to hear when any biker gets killed or injured, but this sounds like it was quite possibly reckless.

Mark