SE Ohio October Ride -October 17, 2009

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well everybody, let's ride SE Ohio! :yahoo: That's what the thread said, visions of a nice comfortable autumnal ride through some of the best roads SE Ohio has to offer.

<CUE the loud sound of a needle scraping across the width of the LP> The forecasters put snow and rain in the forecast?? :angry: Well, understandably the plans of many began to change in the days before. :huh:

Suckas!!! :D

The roads were dry, the riding was great, and the company was even better well...pretty darn good. :clapping:

:lol:

Dave Kaye and I travelled on Friday...I have to give Dave credit...here it is Friday morning, it is in the low 40s and rain is starting to fall, and is forecast for the whole day, with snow forecast for Saturday, and he is willing to ride 500 plus miles though this crud to ride roads he's never ridden...on a stock seat no less. On top of that I made a navigating error out in the sticks...and with the overcast sky, did not realize I had made a turn south on a local Indiana road instead of east. For about a half an hour, we wandered in a scary twilight zone west of Muncie, IN. I had a turn sheet, but no large scale Indiana map...just an atlas...that did us no good with a local road. Anyways, I screwed up...and atleast Dave (who I've never ridden with before) had an automobile type gps that was going to get us to our destination...via Indianapolis. ;) Dave was good natured about my screwup, which combined with the gps routing us southwest to Indy, added 100 extra miles to the trip and cost us some good riding time in SE Ohio on Friday.

We did get to Caldwell via 78...in the dark...which was interesting with all the dips and elevation changes on 78. After seeing a bunch of deer in a clearing, everything looked like deer after that....I even slowed down for a wooden mailbox! :lol:

Anyways, we got there and saw other FJRs...more than I thought I would.

2009FallSEOhio010.jpg

Met the Ohioans...whom I've never ridden with before...except for Denny.

Here is Dave/scrapedup and Dave Kaye(from Wheaton)

2009FallSEOhio002.jpg

Here is Dave/scrapedup's buddy Joe (his daughter is at Wheaton College-coincidence? I think not!) and ride leader Denny/drc32-0...who I rode with one time before back in 2005. He rode behind me and watched me go ditch surfing on OH 56 after I drank a cup of stupid.

2009FallSEOhio001.jpg

Here is Tom/tstaff, another ride leader, along with others in the room watching football and chilling with a beer or two the evening before the big ride

2009FallSEOhio011.jpg

Here is Joe, El Toro Joe, having a daily cigar...

2009FallSEOhio013.jpg

Here are the Bockelriders...very nice people...some of the smoothest 2-up riding I've seen

2009FallSEOhio006.jpg

Well, seeing as no other day riders were known to be showing up, we had a nice leasurely breakfast at the good restaurant next door as we waited for the temperatures to rise a little bit. The roads were dry, there was no snow, and there was no rain - which was terrific! :yahoo:

There were 8 FJRs and 9 riders...two groups, one led by Denny, and one led by Tom...all enjoying a great day...though maybe about 20 degrees too cold. But hey, we're tough midwesterners...we can dress for that! Here we are about to take off, notice the lights are on...meaning the engines are running and people are saying to themselves,"enough pictures already! Let's ride!"

2009FallSEOhio017.jpg

We all had a great day...I took no pictures :) I was having too much fun on this all day winding roller coaster with a view that is SE Ohio.

I hope others had a good time. I had about as fun a time as you can have on the FJR...the roads were Sweeeet! :yahoo:

Well, some had to boogie home that day in a light drizzle, others stayed and had dinner with us back in Caldwell. We said goodnight and woke up the next day to ice on the windshield from frozen precip, and frost on the seats. Dave Kaye had to get home earlier than me so he slabbed it back on his stock seat, and I took my time touring on 78 west down toward Athens, so I could take 56 west and north. Both of these roads are great...a fun dessert after the main course on Saturday.

Here are some photos from an early Sunday morning overlook on 78 west as I headed back toward home...

2009FallSEOhio024.jpg

2009FallSEOhio019.jpg

2009FallSEOhio020.jpg

2009FallSEOhio026.jpg

2009FallSEOhio027.jpg

2009FallSEOhio025.jpg

2009FallSEOhio028.jpg

2009FallSEOhio030.jpg

There were so many other images, better images and scenes, as we passed by the countryside. Anyone that got a chance to run 255 can attest to the beauty found on that road.

Finally, I took a wrong turn in Athens on my way to 56 and found myself going down a wrong road I had been on 4 years before. I stopped and took a picture of the place in Athens, OH where we had our last drink break before my ditch surfing in 2005. No...I didn't have a beer. Denny was there...he can attest to that. I asked the bartender for a Pepsi...little did I know she gave me that cup of stupid instead...

2009FallSEOhio031.jpg

Thus ends my story of another successfull run out to SE Ohio. I have ridden here atleast once a year since Mike Carpenter/Yamaholic gave me a tour in the fall of 2004. I somehow forget how great the roads are...until I run them again. I will always come back.

Okay....I know a few others have taken pictures out there...post 'em up and add a quip or two.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for sharing the pics Wheaton. Definitely have some memories from that first Ramble...what was there, 6 or 8 of us? Good roads, some fine riding partners and the lodging wasn't too bad either.

--G

Thanks for sharing the pics Wheaton. Definitely have some memories from that first Ramble...what was there, 6 or 8 of us? Good roads, some fine riding partners and the lodging wasn't too bad either.
--G
There were atleast 8 or 9 of us...not including the slow cruiser rider. Thanks for posting 'ol Ramble riding buddy 'ol pal. :)

--G
There were atleast 8 or 9 of us...not including the slow cruiser rider. Thanks for posting 'ol Ramble riding buddy 'ol pal. :)
Last hijack...I promise. I completely forgot about the cruiser, he left pretty quickly IIRC. Also remember the Beemer, did real well except on those uphills. Take care Mark.

--G

Mark, great report and pics. I had a great time and am really glad that I changed my mind and decided to show up...so when we gonna do this again???

GREAT report, Mark. Really nice turnout, given the questionable weather forecast and cool temps. Wish I could have joined you, but as you know, I did not ride last weekend because I was teaching a BRC that included none other than young wheaton jr., who (if I may briefly hijack this thread) successfully completed the class :yahoo:

Back to your regularly scheduled ride report.....

GREAT report, Mark. Really nice turnout, given the questionable weather forecast and cool temps. Wish I could have joined you, but as you know, I did not ride last weekend because I was teaching a BRC that included none other than young wheaton jr., who (if I may briefly hijack this thread) successfully completed the class :yahoo:
Yeah, I was out having fun while Larry was teaching my boy the basics of staying alive on a motorcycle. We gotta go for a ride sometime Larry...sometime when I'm not taking a wrong turn and leading people down a gravel road and hill-climbing up a steep dirt and gravel hilly road.

Thanks Larry.

Okay...all you others on this ride...I know SOMEBODY else took photos...right?

Mark, great report and pics. I had a great time and am really glad that I changed my mind and decided to show up...so when we gonna do this again???
I can't do this again until next spring sometime...but I bet you Ohio natives will get another warm weekend or two before Siberia hits.

Nice report Mark.

Glad to hear about Wheaton Jr. :yahoo:

His Dad might have been a little nervous.

No photos here. :)

Nice report Mark.
Glad to hear about Wheaton Jr. :yahoo:

His Dad might have been a little nervous.

No photos here. :)
Yeah...my son David has never operated a mcy before, nor a stick shift, so I was wondering how he would do. Obviously, his mcy edumacation is just beginning...

He wants a cheap Ninja 250 for during college, and wants an FJR eventually to tour with Dad. We'll see how he feels after a few years on bikes.

Thanks OM.

Now I've got to explain the hysterical laughing emanating from my cubicle to my fellow workers in this quiet design office environment. :lol:

Excuse me while I hunt down a kleenex to wipe off my computer screen...

Well that was a great ride report! Thanks for sharing the pictures. Sounds like a good ride home on Sunday.

I still am amazed that you two rode over for a day ride. If I had done that on a stock seat my butt would still be sore!

I will share the few pictures we took when I figure out how to do it.....new stuff for me.

If the rain holds I will be out riding Mid to Southern OH on Monday if anyone is up for it let me know.

Maybe meet in Millersburg and head South.

Hopefully I remembered how to add photos.... :blink: As Mark pointed out there wasn't much time to take photos. Personally my fingers were permanently bonded to the grips waiting for the next hill climb into right hand turn! I think I compressed my grip puppies into grip paper by the end of the route. What a great trip, I am truly glad I laughed at mother nature and took the leap. I Will be taking this trip again next year. You never really know what to expect when meeting unknown forum members without real names but I must say I met some truly wonderful people with very interesting stories. Thanks to all for a wonderful time. I hope I have an opportunity to ride with you all again. Possibly under warmer conditions. :cold: Anyway, here are my minimal photo submission entries.

IMG_0039.jpg

Is that a new tire Farkle? No, just a sack-o-beer

IMG_2418.jpg

Start your engines!!

IMG_2419.jpg

Tom and Mark

IMG_2421.jpg

Tom and I

IMG_2340.jpg

Even riding the interstate can yield some great views. Wind farm off I65 in Indiana.

IMG_2321.jpg

Another long range view of the 230 units. Not a bad photo while driving 85 mph with one hand and a glove! Not recommended by the way.

Thanks again to ALL!

Dave K

Ahhh....riding with FJR friends in the foothills of Appalachia! Brings back many a memories! And I'm honored to have shown those at Ramble version 1 the stomping grounds of SE Ohio. Once you go, you go back. In a way, this area is more challenging than other areas like KY and WV due to the unpredictability of the roads. There are so many spots where you really don't know which way the road will go until you're right on top of it. Not to mention the vertical nature of these roads. I recall scratching the exhaustduring landings on my old bike a time or two on the "jumps".

I am totally kicking myself for wussing out due to the poor forecast. Sucka I am!!! Oh well...at least you guys had a good time! Good to hear everyone is safe and sound.

i love that name coach lar, i had to use it. i was so happy when i found out i got to keep the completion card.