Oil Leak!!!!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wfooshee

O, Woe is me!!
Reaction score
I discovered this some weeks ago on the floor of the garage

DSC_5568.jpg

I also found a coating of grunge on the side of the bike. This is after making an initial cleanup effort:

DSC_5570.jpg

Tracing possible paths of drippage, I discovered a pool under the starter:

DSC_5572.jpg

DSC_5573.jpg

Some may recall my starter issues last fall, wherein it was determined that I had a bad starter which drew an incredible load from the battery, and I got a replacement from another forum member. Apparently the o-ring isn't quite up to snuff, or I don't know crap about putting it back together.

I've been putting this off for a while: I actually found oil on the bike back on Thanksgiving, and decided it was easier to clean than to fix.

Well, decided to go ahead and fix today. Having been down to the starter a couple of times already, I knew what would be involved, and was not looking forward to it. Tank off, tool tray out, fuel rail off, air box out, throttle bodies off, then you can access the starter. When the starter was out, this is what I found (most of the liquid is coolant, from removing the lines feeding the fast idle control):

DSC_5574.jpg

You can see the oil grunge at the edges, though, and the film on the surface.

I took out the starter, removed the o-ring and put on the o-ring from my original starter, and coated it with some grease rather than just oiling it as I did before. If it fails to seal, I'll go find a new o-ring.

Running bike to starter in hand, one hour. Starter reinstalled to running bike, one hour fifteen. Yes, I've done this before. And I did find the other end of that hose on the bottom of the air box this time. Before, I squeezed my little giant hand into the tiny little space and eventually got it reattached to the airbox. This time, I followed it down and for some reason was not stumped as I'd been last time. It's a vent, clamped to the sidestand mount. Pulling it up makes it a lot easier to put back together, then you just drop it down into place as the airbox goes back in. Saved me about 20 minutes compared to previous efforts! I really cannot explain why before I thought that hose disappeared into the frame and I'd never find the end of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
B-b-b-but a coolant leak, as well? D'you think the o-rings in the head? Were they replaced when the valve adjustment was made?

nice job, hopefully the oil leak is fixed now!

every single post of such expert wrenching turns me green with envy and reminds me how limited I am to do anything of significance on my bike

wfooshee,

Sorry to hear about your leaks. I am amazed at your profiency of getting to these hard items and getting the job done.

Congrats and hope it leaks no more....

B-b-b-but a coolant leak, as well? D'you think the o-rings in the head? Were they replaced when the valve adjustment was made?
Coolant came from pulling the hoses that feed coolant to the cold idle assembly under the throttle bodies. Dumped some when I removed those hoses, no coolant leak exists.

Whats an O-Ring cost? $5 at Yamaha?

Yet you did all that work and reused an old O-Ring? Hope your luckier than smart :D

Thanks for the post, I think I'll save it for future reference. Being the 65 Panhead and the 73 Trident are the newest rides I had ever owned, this and all of the valuable help I've found have made owning this Tupperware basket not so bad.

Whats an O-Ring cost? $5 at Yamaha?
Yet you did all that work and reused an old O-Ring? Hope your luckier than smart :D
Just stranded. I had torn the bike down and the missus then stole the car for something I'm sure she believed to be important. Didn't pick up the parts beforehand. So yeah, maybe another 2-hour workday in my future.