Leo Vince SBK Aluminum

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RossKean

Reaction score
I just bought a 2007 FJR and it came with the Leo Vince exhaust. Since I knew nothing about these, I did a little reading on their site. I discovered a section on repacking the mufflers < https://www.leovinceusa.com/main/support/SBK-REFIT.pdf > . They suggest that a service interval for repacking of ~20,000 miles, depending on the bike, might be expected. Just wondering what anyone's experience might be? Has anyone done a repack? How long before it was needed? Did you buy the packing and replacement rivets from Leo Vince or elsewhere? Any problems drilling out or replacing the rivets? Is it a big pain-in-the-ass to do (i.e. how much time)? I have never had a muffler system that needed repacking (always had stock all-metal exhaust).

I like the sound but if it is a major job to repack on at least an annual basis, I might find myself back to the stock pipes. Unfortunately, that will likely mean I need to remap the PC III.

Thanks

Ross

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't speak specifically to the Leo Vince ..but generically speaking:

The 20K interval is about average, many people adhere to it, many people do not, it's really your own determination, mostly influenced by the sound, -the exhaust will get louder.

You may very well need to do the rivets if that is the LV design, but no doubt you've got local sources that can easily accommodate that.

No doubt LV will gladly supply you the packing material, but surely it is just fiberglass available locally or other sources. If you have a muffler shop, you might talk to the guys there and see if you have comfort level with them doing it. I'd take your handy instructions that you posted so that they can see the style of fiberglass that LV supplies, as well as get an idea of how LV expects it to be applied. Many will knock it out cheaply and easily in no time. Talk to a couple if you don't feel comfortable

As far as the PCIII, ...assuming the previous owner tuned it with the LV on the bike, perhaps you'll want to lean it up a tad if you go back to OEM exhaust ....my experience with the vast range of maps created (not just the FJR) for PCiii use, you could likely just knock clickk down the PCiii a couple click (or two) and be as good as having a new dyno done ...but that's your call.

Really, you have a lot of options, and that makes life fun. :)

OH, and if you don't already have the OEM exhaust, likely you could arrange a swap for your LV and make someone real happy ....typically people line up for a chance like that.

I just bought a 2007 FJR and it came with the Leo Vince exhaust. Since I knew nothing about these, I did a little reading on their site. I discovered a section on repacking the mufflers < https://www.leovinceusa.com/main/support/SBK-REFIT.pdf > . They suggest that a service interval for repacking of ~20,000 miles, depending on the bike, might be expected. Just wondering what anyone's experience might be? Has anyone done a repack? How long before it was needed? Did you buy the packing and replacement rivets from Leo Vince or elsewhere? Any problems drilling out or replacing the rivets? Is it a big pain-in-the-ass to do (i.e. how much time)? I have never had a muffler system that needed repacking (always had stock all-metal exhaust).
I like the sound but if it is a major job to repack on at least an annual basis, I might find myself back to the stock pipes. Unfortunately, that will likely mean I need to remap the PC III.

Thanks

Ross,

If I remember correctly the Leo's are packed with steel packing material. It last's much longer than fiberglass packing. You probably don't need to do it yet. I have a set on my 2007 and they sound the same as new.

Ross

I can't speak specifically to the Leo Vince ..but generically speaking:
The 20K interval is about average, many people adhere to it, many people do not, it's really your own determination, mostly influenced by the sound, -the exhaust will get louder.

You may very well need to do the rivets if that is the LV design, but no doubt you've got local sources that can easily accommodate that.

No doubt LV will gladly supply you the packing material, but surely it is just fiberglass available locally or other sources. If you have a muffler shop, you might talk to the guys there and see if you have comfort level with them doing it. I'd take your handy instructions that you posted so that they can see the style of fiberglass that LV supplies, as well as get an idea of how LV expects it to be applied. Many will knock it out cheaply and easily in no time. Talk to a couple if you don't feel comfortable

As far as the PCIII, ...assuming the previous owner tuned it with the LV on the bike, perhaps you'll want to lean it up a tad if you go back to OEM exhaust ....my experience with the vast range of maps created (not just the FJR) for PCiii use, you could likely just knock clickk down the PCiii a couple click (or two) and be as good as having a new dyno done ...but that's your call.

Really, you have a lot of options, and that makes life fun. :)

OH, and if you don't already have the OEM exhaust, likely you could arrange a swap for your LV and make someone real happy ....typically people line up for a chance like that.
I don't think there's anyone around here that works on MC mufflers so I would probably end out doing it myself. I'll probably do it one time when the exhaust gets too loud. If its a major pain, I'll switch back to the OEMs (I still have these). Leo Vince is pretty proud of their packing material so I would at least look for an alternate source of 'glass. If I go back to stock pipes, I may try a generic map on the PC III - the K&N air filter shouldn't make things too different from stock (no other mods). If I go with a 20,000 mile service interval, I would be faced with one or two repacks a year - not just a winter maintenance thing.

Thanks

Ross

Your thoughts seem golden. The LV supplied stuff might be handy if you're doing it yourself, and those instructions were good. With your mileage, you might call them and have them send you a few sets at discount, or at least ask for qty discount. then you've got them on hand for years to come, and waiting on the garage shelf waiting for that rainy day when you have nothing better to do. It's not expensive stuff, don't let them make you believe it is.

me guesses you'll end up doing it once, see it ain't that bad and will then do it when convenient for years to come. Me guesses you won't go back to the OEM. In fact, I got two-bits that says that's what happens :)

Ross,
If I remember correctly the Leo's are packed with steel packing material. It last's much longer than fiberglass packing. You probably don't need to do it yet. I have a set on my 2007 and they sound the same as new.
I didn't check anything other than the repacking instructions (that I attached) for the SBK mufflers and that seems to indicate glass. I obviously haven't checked them in person. How many miles do you have on them so far?

Ross

That's interesting. hmmm.
Looking at their instructions, they say: "The average duration of

the packing material obviously varies according to the load applied, riding style of the user and

engine size and configuration. For example, a large single or twin cylinder bike will tend to

require shorter packing intervals than a 4 cylinder bike of the same displacement. That being said

it is not uncommon for singles and twins to go 15k miles between repacks and 4 cylinders to go

20k or more due to the high quality dense packing used in LeoVince SBK products.

It may be glass, it may be steel, ...they seem to not want to show their cards (or at least I missed any reference). No doubt one could substitute to their own wishes, but perhaps another reason to get the stuff from LV(?)

Steel indeed would seemingly last much longer than 20K

That's interesting. hmmm.
Looking at their instructions, they say: "The average duration of

the packing material obviously varies according to the load applied, riding style of the user and

engine size and configuration. For example, a large single or twin cylinder bike will tend to

require shorter packing intervals than a 4 cylinder bike of the same displacement. That being said

it is not uncommon for singles and twins to go 15k miles between repacks and 4 cylinders to go

20k or more due to the high quality dense packing used in LeoVince SBK products.

It may be glass, it may be steel, ...they seem to not want to show their cards (or at least I missed any reference). No doubt one could substitute to their own wishes, but perhaps another reason to get the stuff from LV(?)

Steel indeed would seemingly last much longer than 20K

Reno,

I think I read on a thread once that Jeff from Bikeffects said it was steel. He knows the founder of the company. I believe he runs their exhaust on his FJR as well. I bought mine from him.

Reno,

I think I read on a thread once that Jeff from Bikeffects said it was steel. He knows the founder of the company. I believe he runs their exhaust on his FJR as well. I bought mine from him.
Groovy, I'm certainly not doubting you or challenging any. I assumed glass because they require re-packing where steel typically doesn't call for re-packing (Staintunes, Scorpion etc) ....and the packing material that is shown in the re-pack instructions looks like glass ..but certainly could be steel.

Sidenote: I also saw the reference to "quiet" and it seem they may have a different scheme and product for their quiet core(??) total speculation on my part.

When all the answers come out, I'll be very curious, ...wake me up as I won't be loosing much sleep over it :)

thanks

Reno,

Groovy, I'm certainly not doubting you or challenging any. I assumed glass because they require re-packing where steel typically doesn't call for re-packing (Staintunes, Scorpion etc) ....and the packing material that is shown in the re-pack instructions looks like glass ..but certainly could be steel.

Sidenote: I also saw the reference to "quiet" and it seem they may have a different scheme and product for their quiet core(??) total speculation on my part.

When all the answers come out, I'll be very curious, ...wake me up as I won't be loosing much sleep over it :)

thanks

I'll wait and see if they get loud - then I'll do something about it.

Ross