For those with Heli Bar Risers and Tank Bags - let's talk

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sportsguy

searchgeek - author
Reaction score
Right. I'm groovin' with my new Heli Bar Risers - they bring the clip ons up and back a smidge, contributing to a much more comfortable riding posture. :)

That said, I have noticed a small snag in a previous plan...

The "bars" now touch things as the arc the clip ons swing through now puts them a bit closer to the tank at full lock.

Now, I realize many are going to poo-poo the full lock issue of touching things, and to you, I say bite me. :D My thread, and I'll cry if I want to... :)

So, back to the issue - which, I'll admit - isn't really an issue in normal riding, and when turning at walking speed it's really only an annoyance, BUT, I'd still like to avoid it, and I think I can with some planning.

The request is, if you have risers that position your bars up and back, AND you have a tank bag... AND the bars DO NOT make contact at full lock, [SIZE=18pt]post up what make/model of bag you are using please.[/SIZE] :) In my mind I see a tallish, skinny looking bag to meet these requirements, but I'll know better when I take some measurements tonight. Please note if you are a Gen 1 or Gen 2 bike, as well. My frame of reference is a Gen 2, but others may find this discussion useful, too. :)

...and for those content to live with a bit of lock to lock rubbing, you might as well sound off as well, because who knows. If I can't get my ideal, I may have to look at alternatives, so no sense limiting ourselves here... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Heli risers on a GenI, I've had to learn to put my thumb on the kill switch to keep it from being tripped in parking lot maneuvers.

It's not an issue otherwise, but it does make contact at high steering angles.

Heli risers on a GenI, I've had to learn to put my thumb on the kill switch to keep it from being tripped in parking lot maneuvers.
It's not an issue otherwise, but it does make contact at high steering angles.
Edited to clarify the ask, as early user testing proved that initial request for information was unclear... ;)

Thanks to the early tester, though, for noting their's was a Gen 1 as original poster had been assuming Gen 2 for this conversation without previously stating such. OP is humbled and into further editing mode... ;)

Please note not if you are a Gen 1 or Gen 2 bike, as well. My frame of reference is a Gen 2, but others may find this discussion useful, too. :)
I've got the big euro Yammy bag from FJRGoodies in 2005 for my Silver 04.

When I first got it, I used to HONK the horn or hit the starter button...but I don't stupid crap like that anymore. You can't go lock to lock with the bag on, but people rarely ride down the road like that. When I am getting out of my garage and turning the bike around, I leave the bag off until I have the bike turned around.

Please note not if you are a Gen 1 or Gen 2 bike, as well. My frame of reference is a Gen 2, but others may find this discussion useful, too. :)
I've got the big euro Yammy bag from FJRGoodies in 2005 for my Silver 04.

When I first got it, I used to HONK the horn or hit the starter button...but I don't stupid crap like that anymore. You can't go lock to lock with the bag on, but people rarely ride down the road like that. When I am getting out of my garage and turning the bike around, I leave the bag off until I have the bike turned around.
First off, thanks for pointing out the error - fixed it. :)

Second, to your point, that's actually my goal. To find a tank bag that'll allow me to just leave it in place and not have to "worry" about hitting at full lock. A mild worry, I'll grant you, but it just seems to me that if Yamaha designed the bike well to begin with, and I modify it, then I should stick to the same basic ethos of ensuring things more or less work togehter basically as originally intended - to whit, the bars don't contact anything throughout their range of motion.

Might prove fruitless, this quest, but then again, it might just work, too. :) Sure, I could end up with a tank bag 15" long, 10" tall and 3" wide to fit and get usable cubic inches, but hey - I could probably sell ad space on it then!

Second, to your point, that's actually my goal. To find a tank bag that'll allow me to just leave it in place and not have to "worry" about hitting at full lock. A mild worry, I'll grant you, but it just seems to me that if Yamaha designed the bike well to begin with, and I modify it, then I should stick to the same basic ethos of ensuring things more or less work togehter basically as originally intended - to whit, the bars don't contact anything throughout their range of motion.

Might prove fruitless, this quest, but then again, it might just work, too. :) Sure, I could end up with a tank bag 15" long, 10" tall and 3" wide to fit and get usable cubic inches, but hey - I could probably sell ad space on it then!
Just to let you know, with my big BEHEMOTH Yammy bag, I have NEVER...that would been NOT EVER had a problem on the twistiest roads in MO/AR/OH/WV/VA/TN/NC/CO. I'll add more states when I've considered that that I've ridden their twistiest. Now few people want as big a tank bag as that, but just letting you know it's not a problem.

If you want a picture of it on the bike, it is in the ride reports section - Cheeseland Camping overnighter...first picture.

Just to let you know, with my big BEHEMOTH Yammy bag, I have NEVER...that would been NOT EVER had a problem on the twistiest roads in MO/AR/OH/WV/VA/TN/NC/CO. I'll add more states when I've considered that that I've ridden their twistiest. Now few people want as big a tank bag as that, but just letting you know it's not a problem.

If you want a picture of it on the bike, it is in the ride reports section - Cheeseland Camping overnighter...first picture.
I understand there are no issues when riding. That's not my main focus. My main focus is a small bag that will not impede, in any way, the bars. I simply want a solution that never touches. Period. That's my want. Not syaing anyone else needs it to be this way, but I'd LIKE it to be this way on my bike.

I don't need a large bag, as my goal is to carry my camera, wallet and maybe a pair of sunglasses in a hard case holder. This would be mostly for around town and day trips. Longer trips would see me likely biting the bullet and getting a bigger bag that would hit the bars lock to lock, but as you point out, this isn't really a problem while riding.

I have a GenII ('06 AE) and it has a set of 1" risers on my bike that the PO had installed. I'm still newbie enough not to know what brand of risers, so pic is below:

2107913000106385549S425x425Q85.jpg

I have a Chase Harper magnetic bag that I have used once, so it's still "new to me", and I find I have to mount it right back to the end of the tank up against my stomach to clear the bars, and even then a lock-to-lock turn will turn my hazards on or sometimes honk the horn. The bag is 10x16x6, so it's a decent size. That being said, in the one ride I made with the bag in place, it wasn't an issue in normal riding conditions. I'm hoping to get a few longer rides in before too long and I'll see how it works. The bag was a 'gimme', so I didn't have to pay for it, but then I didn't get to choose it either.

Cortech, minibag w/ magnets, it's not real big but holds what I need it to. Larger bags just fill with un-needed crap anyway, just to fill it up. The Cortech also has a see through map folder that velcros to the top. I really like it.

Here's a link to the Joe Rocket "Manta" bag. It's very small, so it will never get in the way, for sure, but it'll hold everything you named. Does NOT have a map window pocket, a drawback. I just picked this one up at a closeout, but that's over with I'm afraid. Still, the Manta isn't bad for the size. I did hit my kill switch with a big Cortech bag coming down through Hell's Canyon a couple years ago. Going slow, admiring the view, so I had the bars over pretty far. Freaked me out some, for sure. IMHO, a tank bag can be WAY too big.

I have the Helibar installed (no extra risers) and have been using this Motofiz bag for years, it has over 100k miles on it and everything still works ok, its just a little faded. This bag is pretty nice, has a decent amount of space and a nice big clear top window/pocket for maps, etc.

At full lock my controls only barely touch, but since this bag has a fairly low profile it does not push any buttons. The magnets on this bag are excellent better than any other magnetic tank bag I've tried, once on, its not going anywhere even when the tank is wet and slippery. As you can see from the close ups the magnetic attachments/arms are longitudinal and with the Helibar I've worked out that placing the outer end of the arm just at the end of the Yamaha label I can always be assured of the bag posing minimal interference with the bars whilst still enabling the whole arm to have contact with the tank. This placement position still does not interfere with completely hanging off the bike in the twisties even if you like me your stomach tends to protrude out a bit :)

The only caveat with this bag (learned from experience at about 5 am in the final stages on an IBA 50CC ride when you're a little tired) is that unlike how they show in the picture you should get into the habit of having the zippers for both top and bottom all the way around to the left top corner otherwise if you ever forget to zip up everything you will see your stuff flying out of the bag as you approach Interstate speeds :dribble:

I have a Marsee 10L that fits perfect. My Gen II with the Heli triple tree comes very close but does not quite touch. I took a magnetic style Marsee bag and removed the magnets and replaced it with a SW-Motech gas cap ring mechinism from a Bags Connection bag that I had but didn't like. Works like a charm. Too bad they don't sell the SW-Motech mechinism seperately. The Marsee has a gas cap ring option which worked great on my previous BMW, but for some reason they don't make one for an FJR. Bastards! The dimensions of the Marsee 10L Pocket Rocket are 10.5" long, 8.5" wide, 7" high.

Gen I '04 with two sets of risers: heli and D&D

up 2" and back 2.5"

I use three tank bags, all Nelson Rigg for different purposes:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mholiver/sets...57623737991809/

short same day rides - CL50 (small or micro)

general riding or all day - CL300 (medium)

multi day trips - CL350 (large or giant)

the medium just touches the bars with no issues

the large touches, but it's kinda teardrop shaped

I turn it round 180 degrees so the wide end is to the rear against me

then, no issues

here is the CL350 sitting "backwards" - yes, it now opens towards you, but works fine for me

4523578167_66c4bbe05c_b.jpg

here is my cockpit

3708483364_2db01fa377.jpg

3708483372_297efc8932.jpg

I have a 07 or Gen 2 FJR with the heli upper triple. I have a SW motech tank bag fron twistedthrottle. It expands up but when in the none expanded mode it is water proof without a rain cover but comes with a rain cover. A map pocekt will attach to the top but cost extra. This is very high quality and it doesn't hit my buttons lock to lock. Here are some pics of the tank bag what I carry in it and it mounted to the bike. Oh yeah and the tank bag is mounted to a mounting ring that attaches to your gas tank so it nevers touches the tank and won't mark it up

highwaypegs005.jpg

bagsconnectiontankbag004.jpg

Fallride09andpegs002.jpg

Patriot, Capt. Kirk called and wants his ship back... ;)

VTFJR13 - now I'm liking that one - nice choice!

So far I'm beginning to see that anyhting wider than roughly 8" or so touches, maybe up to 9" is OK. Thi sis great info. I have 6 bags in my cart at newenough right now, and I know a few of them are narrower than 9". I also know one is a joerocket manta. ;)

Oh yes, this thread is proving most useful... :D

Patriot, Capt. Kirk called and wants his ship back... ;)

VTFJR13 - now I'm liking that one - nice choice!

So far I'm beginning to see that anyhting wider than roughly 8" or so touches, maybe up to 9" is OK. Thi sis great info. I have 6 bags in my cart at newenough right now, and I know a few of them are narrower than 9". I also know one is a joerocket manta. ;)

Oh yes, this thread is proving most useful... :D
Yes 8" is the key demension. I think if you go wider than that you risk the horn or starter button hitting.

Eric(VTFJR13)

interesting observation

one of my sets of risers are D&D ten degree risers which are spread out to relieve wrist pain/pressure

1/2" wider per their web sight:

Our 10 Degree risers are designed to meet the needs of those FJR1300 riders who desire a straighter wrist angle than standard:

Our 10 Degree Pullback Risers

raise bars 1"

move bars back 1"

Handlebar width (outside tip to tip measurement) is increased 1/2", creating more leverage and comfort.

angle of handlebars is opened up by 10 degrees straightening and relaxing the wrists substantially,

more than any other FJR1300 risers.

so it seems my lock to lock is wider than it may sound

Very cool! How well does the mapping software work, on that iPad there? Very cool that it just fits! :)
Yes, I also have one of these installed on either side, brake and clutch, so they probably add another 1/2" on each side. With out these it would not touch at all IMHO.