Problem with Tuffrhino Miracle Cooling Vest...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patriot

Isabella is Lazarus
Reaction score
+1do a google search "cooling vest site:fjrforum.com

Yep, I have this one and it's great
well

my vest was hung up over the winter on a hanger and now seems to only be 10% effective from last use

the channels of crystals seem empty except at the bottom

anyone else have problems like mine ??? I'm wondering if there's some secret I'm overlooking to revitalize it. It's been soaking in a container for days now after my first attempted use a week ago. I soaked it in water about 20 minutes before it's first use this year.

Sent an email requesting help to Tuffrhino a week ago with copy of invoice, but no response. They advertise a phone number; maybe I need to call.

I really need something effective before SFO as heat is an extreme problem for moi.

let's ride safe and be careful out there,

Mike in Nawlins'

keep us posted on this. I've had one partial season in '09 on mine. haven't tried to get it going this year, yet.

Hmmmm, I've had mine for three years now and don't have that problem.

I was just looking at mine today thinking I may want to get it out and ready for SFO also.

Are you soaking it in cool water or warm water?

Have you tried massaging the strips of crystals a little to see if that helps?

Seems like last year I used warm water on the first use to get it hydrated and had to let it soak overnight.

I'm gonna get mine out and hydrate it to see what happens.

What's the trick to getting these vests to dry out enough between uses so that they don't get moldy?

Last year bought one, used it two days, hung it up to dry on an exposed porch (heat and air flow) in Montana. It was moldy within a day. Three days later it was still moist, and smelled like a bog so I threw it away.

Bought another one (different brand), used it on a hot day. Once again was unable to get it to dry out completely before putting it in it's sack for the evening. Next morning it too was moldy (this was in Utah).

I don't get how we're supposed to care for these cooling vests if they don't entirely dry out even in dry environments like Montana and Utah. They won't dry hung up in a house with good airflow, and they certainly won't dry out in a plastic bag overnight.

What am I doing wrong?

What's the trick to getting these vests to dry out enough between uses so that they don't get moldy?

What am I doing wrong?
Don't get a 'crystal' based vest - get a 'hollow fibre' type. They dry quicker (you have to recharge every 2 to 4 hours in midsummer in Arizona, but they recharge in 5 minutes and air-dry fine.

What am I doing wrong?
Don't get a 'crystal' based vest - get a 'hollow fibre' type. They dry quicker (you have to recharge every 2 to 4 hours in midsummer in Arizona, but they recharge in 5 minutes and air-dry fine.
Is there one you'd recommend?

Is there one you'd recommend?
We have been using our Silver Eagle vest for about 4 or 5 years now, including during 3 weeks touring in SW USA in temps of around 100+ (incl Death Valley, Arizona, etc). https://www.coolweave.com.au/vests.htm I am sure there will be a 'stateside supplier too. Hope the link come up as a clickable link.

This is comment I made to them after the trip:

We have just returned from 3 weeks motorbike touring in the USA, and once again 'thank you' for your cooling vests. Riding through Death Valley at 45C we kept comfortably cool, and 10 days later in the Colorado Rockies we were riding in temps of -7C (and altitudes of 11,500 ft) and were using the vests dry as an extra layer of warming clothing. Great all round.

We spent approx 2 weeks of temps around 38C to 40C each day, through California, Nevada, Arizona (yes, Route 66), and Utah, then a week of ccoolldd in Colorado, and we used the evaporative vests most days. Great products, and we strongly recommend them.

Kind regards

David & Zea, SE Qld

15/12/2009

Last edited by a moderator:
Last year bought one, used it two days, hung it up to dry on an exposed porch (heat and air flow) in Montana. It was moldy within a day. Three days later it was still moist, and smelled like a bog so I threw it away.

Bought another one (different brand), used it on a hot day. Once again was unable to get it to dry out completely before putting it in it's sack for the evening. Next morning it too was moldy (this was in Utah).

I don't get how we're supposed to care for these cooling vests if they don't entirely dry out even in dry environments like Montana and Utah. They won't dry hung up in a house with good airflow, and they certainly won't dry out in a plastic bag overnight.

What am I doing wrong?
I ride all day on one charge, but turn it backwards for the last third of the day to ensure even evaportion. The leftover moisture usually dries out over the next 24 hours or so. If it remains fairly wet at the end of the day, I am sure to hang it up in direct sunlight out in the heat that brought it on. UV light has a mild antimicrobial property to it, and the vest will dry out faster. I also am sure to rotate it a a couple of times during the day as well as turn it inside out for part of the day. The hanger I use is one of those fat plastic ones that holds the inside of the garment open when drying to facilitate thorough drying.

I hope that helps. My vest is about 4 years old now and still works as good as new... just a little irregular color from sunlight exposure and moisture penetration.... go figure.

worldbound4now

Interesting. Clicking on your link took me to an Australian site, so I figured it was an Aussie product (at a price of $145 U.S.), but this one takes you to a U.S. site, where the price was less--$95 (tho still a good deal more than many). I have the (quite a bit cheaper) crystal type vest from here and it works quite well in the Sacramento Valley heat for possibly an hour. I wouldn't mind one that worked longer and dried easier.

So Test Pilot--How long did yours really cool you on those 100o-plus desert days? And how long did it take to dry out? And if you had to re-hydrate it on the same ride, did it really do the same job after that as it did after the initial wetting? Thanks, might as well find out all I can before sending off another hundred bucks.

Interesting. Clicking on your link took me to an Australian site, so I figured it was an Aussie product (at a price of $145 U.S.), but this one takes you to a U.S. site, where the price was less--$95 (tho still a good deal more than many). I have the (quite a bit cheaper) crystal type vest from here and it works quite well in the Sacramento Valley heat for possibly an hour. I wouldn't mind one that worked longer and dried easier.
So Test Pilot--How long did yours really cool you on those 100o-plus desert days? And how long did it take to dry out? And if you had to re-hydrate it on the same ride, did it really do the same job after that as it did after the initial wetting? Thanks, might as well find out all I can before sending off another hundred bucks.
It really cooled (like auto air-conditioning) for 5 to 10 minutes - to the point of sometimes getting a shiver, but that's just the excess water evaporating. Then really comfortable cooling for around 2 hours, maybe 3, and this is the key time.

It takes less time to recharge than it does to buy gas and a drink. I carry ours in waterprrof bags when not in use (they come with a bag), and before filling up put the vest back in the bag and add about a cup of water (you soon learn how much) in the bag. By the time you've paid for the gas, finished your drink, you take the vest out the bag, gentle squeeze to stop dripping, and on you go. Through summer here Zea uses hers all the time - me less so. And yes, because of the nature of the fibres, the 5-min recharge is all it needs. I am sure you will get other, cheaper versions in the USA - we are less spoiled for choice.

Something else we do use a lot, are the crystal-type neck coolers. These need to be recharged for a lot longer - maybe an hour. We have drying problems (how to get them dry without smelly), but at their price you can throw them out each season, or launder them, or whatever. Remember that a lot of your body cooling is via your head - good head vetilation is important, but also, if you cool the major blood vessels in your neck it improves your comfort level a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, no response by tuffrhino, either my every other day emails over 10 days (5 in total), or my two voicemail messages to their advertised toll free cust service phone line.

I have to have a working cooling unit for SFO which is 6 days from now for me, leaving Wed morning.

I very much like the crystal technology as does the Cal Sci article. I'm leaning on abandoning this one for now and purchase a

Colorado Coolwear Vest.

Guess I'll call them to verify size as it doesn't look adjustable after the fact.

<sigh>

After reading through this thread I'm also at a loss.

I'll be on my 3rd year with my MiraCool vest. To dry, I usually drape it over one of the other bikes in the garage as the summer heat here will dry it out. Of course, our ambient moisture in the summer isn't very high.

IIRC, as noted above, you can wash it with a mild soap and that might be a solution to the mold problem.

Patriot, did you soak it well when trying to hydrate the vest. I know that when mine is soterd over the winter it takes 1/2 hour or more of soaking in a tub to fully hydrate the vest.

As Dave said, the neck coolers are a really great asset when riding in high temps.

Well, no response by tuffrhino, either my every other day emails over 10 days (5 in total), or my two voicemail messages to their advertised toll free cust service phone line.
I have to have a working cooling unit for SFO which is 6 days from now for me, leaving Wed morning.

I very much like the crystal technology as does the Cal Sci article. I'm leaning on abandoning this one for now and purchase a

Colorado Coolwear Vest.

Guess I'll call them to verify size as it doesn't look adjustable after the fact.

<sigh>
OK, IMHO, my now cool Colorado Coolwear Vest is the bomb

it's a full zipped vest, not a overhead poncho and is not adjustable, but very good measurements for sizes are recommended and worked for me.

measure chest and belly...largest measurement determines size...also, whatever T-shirt you wear is probably the size

I wear loose fitting XLarge T shirts, but measurement was well within size Large, so went with that and it fits fine...snug which is what I wanted in a vest.

the owner Bill actually answers his toll free line (two outta two calls) and gave very good customer service and advice. Told me he can ship same day if ordered by 1pm CO time as he prefers USPS Priorty Mail andd was 3 day delivery from CO to LA which is exactly what it was.

now compared to the TuffRhino over the head unit, the CO vest has many more "smaller" channels of crystals which is said to be more effective.

today's conversation after reading the enclosed info was the same:

"Do not over soak!!! Over soaking will cause the crystals to absorb water until they are literally forced through the weave of the materal. It does not add cooling and can damage your Cool Vest.

The fabric of the vest is especially chosen to dry quickly. Long term cooling is provided by evaporation of the crystals in the tubes, not by the drying of the fabric itself though it does provide cooling initially.

I asked about the days in the spring or fall when I leave at sunrise with cool temps and only want to wear the vest on my way home later in the afternoon in warm temps. I was told that would work fine...just soak the vest for ten minutes (he also said it was best to lay it down as flat as possible to soak like in a bathtub with and inch or two of water, but this was not necessary - it would insure the tubes absorb water evenly). No more than ten minutes is best.

Then hand it up for 15 minutes and allow the fabric of the vest to dry. Then just store it in air (never never seal it up in a plastic bag or it will mold, bacteria, and stink) like a top box, saddle or side bag, or even in a tank bag. It will not drip or leak. I'm gonna lay it on a small towel in one of these places.

I'm convinced my habit of soaking the tuffrhino vest overnight in a bowl thinking I can just grab it and go and also putting it into a zip lock bag wet and then adding more water and storing it in the side bag till the afternoon unknowing damaged it and caused the loss of crystals. I'm happier with the CO vest as it's a real full vest, fits close to my body, and has more tubes in it for lots of surface area to evaporate and cool. And they say that's why they are effective the longest. At any time, of course, they can be re-soaked on the road and it's good to go for another 8-10 hours.

So lesson on crystal technology, never leave it soaking more than 10 or so minutes and never store it without air getting to it. And when not using it, hang it up.

Weather for SFO looks to be in the 55-75F range Thursday through Monday with plenty of chances for rain. You may not get to use the evaporative cooling vest much beyond Wednesday...... :dribble: