Classic Tractor and old engine show

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bugnatr

Reaction score
Stopped by the Nevada County fairgrounds Saturday for a look at the old tractors. What really sucks is I drove most of these makes as a kid in Mn. Does that make me a classic?

The feejer next to a sharp Farmall "A" . The guy helped his son restore it for High School project.

Tractorshow2010001-1.jpg

Tractorshow2010002.jpg

Tractorshow2010009.jpg

At least I wasn't old enough to have to run these babies but they are fun to watch.

Tractorshow2010005.jpg

Tractorshow2010006.jpg

They were running that's why the Flywheel is blurred.

Tractorshow2010004.jpg

These kinds of shows are always great fun for anyone who grew up around farm equipment. We have one here every year. Its sort of like Barber Vintage Days, but with iron wheels as tall as the driver. I love it when they set up for demonstrations. The farm engines preceded the tractors if I remember right. They hauled the engine to the field, and brought the grain to the engine. Somebody got the bright idea you could put wheels and transmission on the engine, and drive it out there. As Ol' Unka James used to say, "when you take the farm hands out of the field and buy tractors, you done ruined things boy." Life changed.

I am not 100% sure about this, but for those in cotton country (we still grow cotton over on land between the Tennessee and the Mississip), the term Cotton Gin is short hand for Cotton Engine. Some kinda engine used on the cotton...

that little gray ones a Ford. Spent summers on grandpa's farm, he bought that for me when I was 9-10 years old. Stick her in road gear and blast down the farm roads at a blazing 15-20 mile and hour.

Tractorshow2010009.jpg

Feel sorry for anyone that grew up with out some farm life in there youth, there's just so much education to be gained on a farm it shouldn't be missed, like never use a .22 to shot mice in a metal gain bin, BB gun OK, .22 NO.

I got a chance this past weekend to see some old tractors and such at the Fillmore County Museum down in SE MN.

IMG_2905.JPG

See all the photos here if your a tractors kinda guy Tractors and stuff. BMW rally photos included, be careful.

there's just so much education to be gained on a farm it shouldn't be missed
So what part of life on the farm was this :eek:mg:

IMG_2910.JPG

Airboss:

I agree wholeheartedly...since I never had to work the farm and only visited my grandpa's Nebraska farm on family trips...it was always a fun time. Throw in a mess of cousins there and a bunch of fireworks and it was an idyllic time when you are 8 years old on 220 acres with pastureland, corn and soybean fields, not to mention my grandma's garden which must have been atleast a half-acre by itself. Throw in some dogs, cats, chickens, pigs, cows and assorted rusty farm implements and there was stuff to do and dream about all day.

...and to keep this on topic, my grandpa had both a green John Deere "Johnny Popper" and a red International Farmall.

By the time I came along, Grampa's "farm" was nothing more than some chickens and ducks he raised, but he still had the old gray Ford tractor. First thing I ever drove with an engine. I still pause if I see one for sale out here in WNY farm country, although with my measley half-acre home lot, I'd have no place to use or keep the thing. Definitely brings back memories though...

Those same tractors (or some like them) and engines are on display at the CA State Fair every year. They actually hook the tractors to implements and operate them in an arena. Very cool when I time it to see them in operation!

We had an old rubber-tired crank-start Fordson on the ranch. My Great Uncle had Olivers and other relatives had a variety of wheeled and crawler tractors. Most of those small family farms (20-50 acres) along Coffey Lane are now housing tracts in Northwest Santa Rosa, CA.

Jeez, but I'm getting old!