Sidecase Protection

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madmike2

Shtirrenuppenmeister
Reaction score
Several have emailed or messaged me about my little "trick". As promised, I took some pictures during the Hwy 36 ride and after I got home.

Its easy enough to do with some masking tape, some different "round" objects to use as templates for the arcs and a little patience. I hope this satisfies anyone who wants to do the same.

Left sidecase, side view

Hwy36001.jpg
]

Right sidecase, front 3/4 view

Hwy36053.jpg
]

Right sidecase, side view

Hwy36054.jpg
]

Right sidecase, top view

Hwy36055.jpg
]

That would probably look better than those scratches on mine. I wonder how it would look on the lower fairings.
wink.gif

Thanks for the Pics Mike! While putting the liner on the bags the way you have shown wouldn't cover the scratches I have on my sidecase from dropping the bike a few weeks ago, I will probably do something like that in the future. The areas you have covered are already showing nicks and scratches on my bike, from riding and lack of getting my foot high enough while getting on and off of the bike.

That would probably look better than those scratches on mine. I wonder how it would look on the lower fairings.
wink.gif
TC, I/ve thought of painting the "triangle" behind the tire because of the "line" from the front wheel throwing road splooge. Are you thinking of mimicking the Concours? :lol:

Thanks for the Pics Mike! While putting the liner on the bags the way you have shown wouldn't cover the scratches I have on my sidecase from dropping the bike a few weeks ago, I will probably do something like that in the future. The areas you have covered are already showing nicks and scratches on my bike, from riding and lack of getting my foot high enough while getting on and off of the bike.
There are others who have painted the entire sidecase cover. Or, since it's free form, create your own pattern to cover your scratches.

You can see on the top of the right case that I occaisionally hit it with my steel-toed work boots after a loooong day. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Mike - not so 'mad' if you ask me.... :D

That's a neat little trick - I covered my last bike entirely with the truck bed liner stuff (Triumph Tiger) and not only did it look fantastic, it was tough as Old Nick.

You've done a nice job there - a fine balance of form and function.

10 out of 10.

do you recall what product you used to do that with...?

I like the way it looks, and I also like the price... heheheh

I think I could live with that for a few years.. until I get an '08

Love my bike... but gunna see what changes they make over the next couple years here...

do you recall what product you used to do that with...?
I used Duplicolor brand truckbed liner in a spray can. I bought it at my local Kragens (CSK) auto supply. I don't know that the brand would make all that much difference as the spray can formula is going to be a little "finer" than what is used commercially for entire pick-up beds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Several have emailed or messaged me about my little "trick". As promised, I took some pictures during the Hwy 36 ride and after I got home.

Its easy enough to do with some masking tape, some different "round" objects to use as templates for the arcs and a little patience. I hope this satisfies anyone who wants to do the same.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Madmike2,

Thanks a lot for a great idea. I also used Duplicolor, but I used a different scheme. Hard part was sanding up to the tape. I wish I had used the natrual line in the bags as a dividing line. Would have been a lot easier getting both side exactly the same. It's ideals like yours that make this forum more than worthwhile.

Bags004.jpg

Bags027.jpg

Bags022.jpg

Mike,
Did you sand yours before spraying, or does the truck bed liner adhere to the paint as is?
You must sand the area first. You must, this is critical, sand all the area up to the masking tape. Any area there that you do not sand will flake/peel off. The instructions on the can, if you use Duplicolor will help. I used #320 sandpaper. It is best to use 3M auto masking tape because you need a very percise line and it makes curves easily. I also only sprayed two coats, the deeper the black paint the more of a ridge it will make. I believe that two coats will be enough protection. Time will tell. Good luck.

VicaDon said:
Mike,

Did you sand yours before spraying, or does the truck bed liner adhere to the paint as is?
You must sand the area first. You must, this is critical, sand all the area up to the masking tape. Any area there that you do not sand will flake/peel off. The instructions on the can, if you use Duplicolor will help. I used #320 sandpaper. It is best to use 3M auto masking tape because you need a very percise line and it makes curves easily. I also only sprayed two coats, the deeper the black paint the more of a ridge it will make. I believe that two coats will be enough protection. Time will tell. Good luck.

OrangevaleFJR, sorry to have answered for Mike. I just now see that your question was directed to him. Let me add about the sanding. You don't have to sand the paint completely off...just rought it up/etch it so the new paint will adhere properly.