Long Beach International Motorcycle Show Ride Report 12/18/10

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRBluesman

Some call me... The STIG!
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
This has to go down in the annals of the FJRforum as the worst ride EVER! It was raining, All these people signed up from this post and never declined yet didn’t show at Starbucks except, FJRBluesman (and friend, Cort, from other rides and the NorCal trip), Fairlaner, ramrezz425, and… that’s it! Fairlaner was in his Yamaha attire via his Audi, FJRBluesman and Cort were in casual attire via the Subaru, and I’m not sure what ramrezz425 came in on, but he wasn’t on two wheels. So no one showed up on a bike.

At the show we saw; Jdog and Gdog, ynotride and Andrea, 2006FJR, and it was reported that Neil San Diego and Janet were in the house, but we missed them. Honorable mention goes to 2006FJR (Trent) for riding to the show! You are a none CBA forum rider.

For a rain out the place was packed! Good for the vendors etc. I was NOT impressed with the stable of bikes this year. Honda did nothing for me, although Fairlaner really liked the little 250. Yamaha had a 2010 FJR; Kawasaki’s Concourse is not a bad bike plenty of potential for that bad boy; Triumph is always a kick, nice bikes, great Phoenix comeback story; Harley is Harley; Suzuki, always loved the GSXR; And Ducati, what can I say. I’ll always love those Duc’s (Santa, I want a Ducati 1198-SP, in red please!).

Now for the real downer for some of you. I’ve owned an older BMW and I won’t buy another. That said, the BMW K1600GT and GTL were totally mobbed by the people, I could not get a picture due to the three to four people deep of gawkers drooling over this overpriced pickup truck. I didn’t like the style, the price, the HP was only 160 for a 1600cc's, yes it has some nice torque, but it’s just…a BMW. I couldn’t stand it.

After the show, Cort and I went to Belmont Brewing Company for lunch, fish & chips and beers, excellent meal! Then it was off to home.

While the bikes didn't do much for me, I still thought it was a great show considering the economy. There were tons-O-people, and vendors. I really go to see the cool new gadgets, etc., (see my post here about Shorai Lithium bike batteries) that people come up with. It was fun looking around, sitting on, and bench racing the new scoots. Great seeing the good folks form the forum…and good food and beer.

Enjoy the few pix I took. Sorry I didn’t get the hot chick shots though there were many. The Ducati ladies were…well...… umm... Errr.... let’s just say they were getting more attention than the bikes.

100_7198.jpg

All 30 bikes that rode in. My hats off to you hard core wet ones. There are usually many hundreds if not thousands of bikes filling the lot. In the upper left corner is a 2006AE silver FJR belongs to Trent

100_7201.jpg

I really liked the Triumph Sprint 1050GT, a formidable Sport Tourer to the VFR.

100_7202.jpg

My Italian mistress, I dream about her often, I will say nothing else…

100_7200.jpg

Here’s a pic of Fairlaner on his new bike. He’s selling his FJR for this great little Triumph, Union Jack and all. The pink reminded him of the Queen. He was riding it around in the parking lot stunting, singing the Sex Pistols classic, God Save the Queen.

100_7204.jpg

I saw this on the way home. Never seen this before, it's a hoot for all you Cali drivers that see the other little green car HOV get out of jail free sticker.

clean_air_stickers.jpg

The real Cali HOV sticky.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry we missed you folks. We decided at the last minute to make the trip. We even stopped at the Starbucks around 9:20, but you eager beavers had already headed out. We did see Trent, Jordylad and Tonoyrob, and we stopped by to say hi to ynotride and Andrea.

No kidding about the 1600 BMW! I couldn't even get close enough to it so see what color the damned thing was! The Super Tenere was pretty hard to get close to also, but we could at least get a glimpse of it.

I got my Aria helmet looked over and adjusted for my noggin. Hopefully it will be a little quieter than a freakin' jackhammer now. Janet sat on a few motorcycles. Her favorites now are the FZ6R, FZ8, and the Ninja 650.

100_7198.jpg

All 30 bikes that rode in. My hats off to you hard core wet ones. There are usually many hundreds if not thousands of bikes filling the lot. In the upper left corner is a 2006AE silver FJR belongs to Trent

Is that pavement even wet?! Man, that place must'a stunk of stinky vag.

"and I’m not sure what ramrezz425 came in on, but he wasn’t on two wheels. So no one showed up on a bike."

I was the guy driving the dumpy ass pickup truck, Heater not working , Check engine light on for the last 2 years. dr

I see a Concourse in my not to distant future,

R
Concourse? I thought you liked the Triumph? :huh:

Sorry we missed you folks. We decided at the last minute to make the trip. We even stopped at the Starbucks around 9:20, but you eager beavers had already headed out. ....
Neil we started walking to our bikes the cars at 09:17, no lie. We figured no one else would show due to the weather. We're such wimps.

The Super Tenere was pretty hard to get close to also, but we could at least get a glimpse of it.
Again this little machine and the V-Strom do ZERO for me. I'll take a nice XR650 over these under powered, over weight, street bike suspensioned, made for "dual sporting"... sort of, for off roading... things. I want a responsive light weight machine not... those things....
Neil sorry we dicthed missed you and janet. Glad your Arai fits your head better. Did they shave off a few thou off your noggin'? Reshape your cranium a tad? :p

I was the guy driving the dumpy ass pickup truck, Heater not working , Check engine light on for the last 2 years.
Dave - Did your truck make it the 5-7 miles to the show? We didn't see you there? :huh:

I was there and rode my bright yellow 2000 Honda VFR800. If you look at the picture posted above, you can clearly see it parked in the middle. I started the morning at Long Beach BMW with a most excellent complimentary breakfast. Then arrived at the show at about 9:45 am. I ran into notable LD Riders and forum members Slonishku-Alex Harper and chickey191-Chuck Hickey as well as Ray Blair, Chris Ogden, Gary Orr, Steve Hobart and Carroll Walker. Had a great time visiting.

Many thanks to ynotride and Andrea. Mr. ynotride immediately recognized me from WFO and was kind enough to give my friend a FJR forum discount on the trick pony tail condoms.

I had a great time, and the rain was really not bad-somewhere between heavy drizzle... and light rain, which was fine in my Aerostich Roadcrafter for the 30 minute ride.

Richard, Just an FYI: I was wearing my Sidi Typhoon motorcycle boots and not my camel toe flip flops, if you were concerned...;-))

Not one semi-naked beautiful gal??

Geeesh, this forum is populated with old pharts! :huh:
There was one pretty naked girl but the wife had the camera back at the booth so yeah I suck.

Thanks to you all I won the friend contest today :D

What bikes do you guys want pictures of? I am there before it opens and can get good pics. I heard BMW, Tenere so far. I'm heading out early tomorrow 7am but will check for an update before I leave.

Since my "Bosom Buddy" Simon mentioned BMW K1600's and the throng around them at the M/C Show in Long Beach, hang on to your hats kids: Basically the GTL is already sold out in Canada! There's been a flurry of discussion on BMW sites regarding this, since BMW Canada announced the pricing early; deposits have already been placed on the entire GTL allotment for The Great White North. You can still get a GT in Kanuckistan for 2011, but forget about getting a GTL; Ya Hosers! Eh!!!

Also, I picked up my BMW F650GS Twin from its 12K warranty service yesterday and BMW of Scottsdale only has ONE GTL left in its allotment for Year 2011; no deposits have been placed on a GT yet. And, BMW USA has not even announced the price for either model yet; won't be telling we BMW fanatics until March. This is going to be a huge seller! I do not like the 700 lb. weight, but do I ever love six cylinder motos; I have never owned one, maybe a used GT in 2012 for Papa Chuy Viejo!

You guys are under estimating the demand for this bike. The two dealers that I deal with in my area have sold out their allotment before the price was announced. Some GT's still available' date=' but the first batch of GTL's are sold out.
The price in Canada has been set at CAD$24,100 for the GT and $27,225 for the GTL.

GTL options: Safety package: Tire pressure monitors, adaptive headlight, dynamic traction control, $100

Package 1: ESA II, alarm, central locking panniers, LED aux. driving lights, ground lighting. $1850.[/quote']

Not one semi-naked beautiful gal??

Geeesh, this forum is populated with old pharts! :huh:
There was one pretty naked girl but the wife had the camera back at the booth so yeah I suck.

Thanks to you all I won the friend contest today :D

What bikes do you guys want pictures of? I am there before it opens and can get good pics. I heard BMW, Tenere so far. I'm heading out early tomorrow 7am but will check for an update before I leave.
Dan-O, +1 and Gunny on BMW GT pictures and Super Tenere photos. Since you like girls, unlike FJRBluesman, please get tu Tio Chuy some pics of muy bonita Mujeres! Muchas gracias, mi Amigo!

**EDIT** to orginal post. Added this info:

While the bikes didn't do much for me, I still thought it was a great show considering the economy. There were tons-O-people, and vendors. I really go to see the cool new gadgets, etc., (see my post here about Shorai Lithium bike batteries) that people come up with.
My Truck did sputter into the $10 a day parking lot, I loved the route from Starbucks to the conv. hall, but Richard and Trent powered away in thier eurocages so I just kept looking for their tail lights, Once at the ticket booth I gave away my wife's ticket to a Harley guy in full leather dress and signature head scarf and explained to him that he may need to be named "Marcy" in order to explain the name on the ticket I gave him. He had no problem taking a chicks name in order to save $15.

I quickly headed into the hall and went swag shopping, I got some lame sunglasses from progressive, a ton of bumper stickers, cycle gear catalog, and a cool kickstand pad. Then I went Winter Glove shopping. I didnt see anyone I met at starbucks, I checked the snack bars, the head and the cocktail stands ,still no FJR peeps. I bought a pair of Leprotec gloves from schoeller for $70 and a pair of socks made from coconuts that can be worn for several days without getting rank. $20. I'm not gonna test them. I just wanted coconut socks. Show was much smaller than in the past. The rain, the economy and the exhibitors fee's are keeping this event small. Hope to see bigger shows in the future. dr

This guy joked about our pony tail product and asked if it would fit on his beard. Well it did and when he asked what it looked like I first snapped a pic then told him it looked like a huge dong on his chin. He laughed it off and we gave him one for the laugh.

DSC03315.jpg

Suitcase cycle

DSC03341.jpg

DSC03343.jpg

This thing has a corvette motor

DSC03351.jpg

KTM

DSC03362.jpg

Honda RC 400

DSC03410.jpg

Electric bike

DSC03420.jpg

DSC03421-1.jpg

I was there, though I didn't ride, and I didn't go to Starbucks for the meet. I got there early enough on Saturday that I was able to get some seat time on both of the Super Ten's in the Yamaha booth. I got some cool accessories (found almost everything I was looking for), saw the highlights from Take It to the Limit (picked up a copy too). Last time I went to the show was in 06; it seemed like there was a better mix of vendors this time around.